• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bo9/First to 5 rules

Scervo

Smash Rookie
What are the stage select rules for best of 9's? I know a few salty suite's have been played as bo9 but I cant find anything online about the rules for it. I would assume it has no bans like bo5, but what about returning to stages youve won on? There aren't 9 legal stages so I'm not sure how that would be handled. I guess it could still be done since you only need 5 wins but im just wondering what the norm is

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Here is a resource for best of 3-7, but I've never encountered a best of 9 before. Best of 7 and 9 aren't even mentioned in the Apex ruleset, so I'm not sure if it's common enough to have standardized rules.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Most likely modified DSR (which I prefer to DSR personally). At least I think that's what it's called.

In MDSR (or whatever it is), the winning player bans one stage and the losing player can pick any of the five remaining stages except the MOST RECENT stage he's won on.

So, theoretically, P1 wins game one on battlefield, wins game two on Dreamland, then P2 wins game 3 on FD. P2 then bans Yoshis. P1 cannot pick Yoshis (banned) or Dreamland (MDSR) but can pick battlefield, since it wasn't his most recent victory.

That make sense?

Scervo

Smash Rookie
Weren't both leffen salty suites first to 5? I looked up the vod of the one vs sfat and at the start mango even says "im not sure how the stage picks will work for this" but theres no clarification haha

Top Bottom