• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blooming and Purple Pikmin

EnemySlime

Smash Rookie
Hey there! Been playing some Olimar and trying to see if I will wind up playing him in Sm4sh and noticed that I haven't seen bud or flower pikmin at all. I know that pikmin are extremely fragile when you compare them to something like the pikmin in Project M, but I've been able to keep pikmin alive for quite a while and never get anything. Do pikmin not bloom anymore? I could have swore they did in brawl but haven't touched on it in forever. Do you have to do a certain amount of damage or fulfill some prerequisite to allow them to bloom? I could really use some help here from fellow Oli mains.

On another note, is it just me or do purple pikmin feel awful in this game. No smash range or grab range and they feel like they don't hit as hard.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey there! Been playing some Olimar and trying to see if I will wind up playing him in Sm4sh and noticed that I haven't seen bud or flower pikmin at all. I know that pikmin are extremely fragile when you compare them to something like the pikmin in Project M, but I've been able to keep pikmin alive for quite a while and never get anything. Do pikmin not bloom anymore? I could have swore they did in brawl but haven't touched on it in forever. Do you have to do a certain amount of damage or fulfill some prerequisite to allow them to bloom? I could really use some help here from fellow Oli mains.

On another note, is it just me or do purple pikmin feel awful in this game. No smash range or grab range and they feel like they don't hit as hard.
From what I have seen they do not bloom on the 3DS version. This could be due to hardware limitation as the Pikmin already look low resolution on it. Also the bloom in Brawl never actually did anything and was just and aesthetic

Purples do feel a little worse in terms of kill power and range. It also seems like there is a sweet spot on his smashes now so that may be influencing the knockback. Purples have also always had bad range in comparison to the other Pikmin so this isn't to much of a change.

RJNettel

Smash Rookie
I haven't had too much success with using purples for smashing/grabbing, but they seem to be really helpful in keeping space against opponents who are running into me by using them with side b.

EnemySlime

Smash Rookie
From what I have seen they do not bloom on the 3DS version. This could be due to hardware limitation as the Pikmin already look low resolution on it. Also the bloom in Brawl never actually did anything and was just and aesthetic

Purples do feel a little worse in terms of kill power and range. It also seems like there is a sweet spot on his smashes now so that may be influencing the knockback. Purples have also always had bad range in comparison to the other Pikmin so this isn't to much of a change.
Guess I've been spoiled pretty hard by PM but it makes sense for pikmin to become stronger and more durable as time progresses. Thanks for the info though. Gonna be quite the tough fight trying to get Olimar to work for me in this game. You should also play the Pikmin games or at least try them. Best one is Pikmin 2 in my opinion

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Guess I've been spoiled pretty hard by PM but it makes sense for pikmin to become stronger and more durable as time progresses. Thanks for the info though. Gonna be quite the tough fight trying to get Olimar to work for me in this game. You should also play the Pikmin games or at least try them. Best one is Pikmin 2 in my opinion
Not really a fan of what PM did to Olimar tbh. I really liked how he was in Brawl even though everyone thought he was OP.

Never really got to interested into Pikmin games. I got a friend who has played all the games and has tried to get me to play. Maybe one day.

EnemySlime

Smash Rookie
Not really a fan of what PM did to Olimar tbh. I really liked how he was in Brawl even though everyone thought he was OP.

Never really got to interested into Pikmin games. I got a friend who has played all the games and has tried to get me to play. Maybe one day.
If you don't mind me asking, what in Project M did you unlike about Olimar? Just asking. I loved him in Brawl too, but when I went back and played some brawl Olimar, I felt they had done a good job in improving on the uses of pikmin. The 4 pikmin count is also much easier to manage and doesn't feel like a nerf but it doesn't feel the same way with 3 pikmin in sm4sh.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
If you don't mind me asking, what in Project M did you unlike about Olimar? Just asking. I loved him in Brawl too, but when I went back and played some brawl Olimar, I felt they had done a good job in improving on the uses of pikmin. The 4 pikmin count is also much easier to manage and doesn't feel like a nerf but it doesn't feel the same way with 3 pikmin in sm4sh.
I very much enjoyed the campy side of Olimar in Brawl lol. I feel like they slowed him down a bit in ways I didn't like and they nerfed his grab kill power. To be honest I loved Brawl Olimar, and aside from a couple of gripes (mainly recover) I didn't think he needed to be changed that much. I understand people did think he was overpowered though.

EnemySlime

Smash Rookie
I very much enjoyed the campy side of Olimar in Brawl lol. I feel like they slowed him down a bit in ways I didn't like and they nerfed his grab kill power. To be honest I loved Brawl Olimar, and aside from a couple of gripes (mainly recover) I didn't think he needed to be changed that much. I understand people did think he was overpowered though.
Fair enough. I looked up some data for PM Olimer and all the throw killing power was put into blue pikmin. I was kinda mad at it at first but I liked how it felt like I was actually managing my pikmin in PM. I still love Olimar no matter what, since Pikmin is one of my favorite series but I just feel like he's received barely anything in the new smash. Still looking forward to any and all things the community might discover about him.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Fair enough. I looked up some data for PM Olimer and all the throw killing power was put into blue pikmin. I was kinda mad at it at first but I liked how it felt like I was actually managing my pikmin in PM. I still love Olimar no matter what, since Pikmin is one of my favorite series but I just feel like he's received barely anything in the new smash. Still looking forward to any and all things the community might discover about him.
Well his blue Pikmin were the ones that would kill with throws in Brawl. Probably just doesn't do it that same percents and all. Also I never really had trouble with managing the 6 Pikmin. I think after awhile it just became second nature to notice what colors are in line so you can act accordingly. I also play Olimar in PM, but I felt like he was nerfed to the point where I didn't have the control I wanted. So I settled on Mario who I also enjoy.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Purple killed with throws too in Brawl. Purple Up Throw killed the earliest out of all of his throws. Then Blue Up Throw, Blue Bthrow, Blue Fthrow, Purple B/Fthrow. I was pretty disappointed when I used a Purple Uthrow in and it didn't kill, but I'm going to do some more testing with his throws and see what I can find out.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Why don't his Pikmin bloom? I can't tell if they are as fast/strong as the ones that are fully "bloomed" from Brawl.

Is it the trade-off for losing 4 Pikmin?

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Why don't his Pikmin bloom? I can't tell if they are as fast/strong as the ones that are fully "bloomed" from Brawl.

They don't bloom due to 3DS hardware limitations, and trying to keep a steady fps and all that. Also when the Pikmin bloomed in Brawl it didn't change anything. It was all aesthetic.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
They don't bloom due to 3DS hardware limitations, and trying to keep a steady fps and all that. Also when the Pikmin bloomed in Brawl it didn't change anything. It was all aesthetic.
Good to know. Thanks for enlightening!

Last edited:

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2

OBJECTION!!! Olimar has 5 Pikmin in this installment. 2 Winged Pikmin, remember? And plus, you said he lost 4, not 3.

Top Bottom