• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blending in with the Stages?

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
So I was playing with a couple of my friends a while ago. One of them picks the Red (or Black, I can't remember) alt. for G&W. We go to Kongo Jungle 64. Due to the extreme red and black colors of Kongo 64, it became rather impossible to see the Game and Watch, especially when playing in an 4-8 person Free-for-All. He ended up winning the match mostly due to nobody paying attention to him because he basically became part of the background.

My question is: Does this have any competitive viability? Since Game and Watch already has pretty jerky movements, adding it in to focus harder on his outline could have some serious mind games. My guess is that this could work the best in Doubles as sometimes it is hard to keep track of what's going on 100% of the time.

Also: Could this work on other stages? I know G&W has a green and light blue alt. So the Duck Hunt stage could also be used to blend in Solid Snake style.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
This has been incorporated by GW mains but very rarely in tournament since there are rules that prevent this in a competitive setting.

Such as a color blind rule, and also the general jerk-ness of refusing to change your color when your opponent ask for vision issues. Like there's nothing that says you have to pick a easy to see color but it just is like one of those things you do not to be a bad sport.

So yeah in a competitive setting while unlikely it's POSSIBLE, but would honestly be hard to pull off, most TOs would probably make you change colors if the other person complained after you refused because of the reason's that the color blind rule is in effect.

Legit strat when you're playing with your friends for fun though, sure.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I hate to play on jungle japes and Brinstar, normal or Omega version, I have problems seeing some characters with some specific colors, and melee I had problems with watch on FD because of his darkness (EVIL!!!) LOL Also use watch on dreamland GB or some green puke color and yeah they blend in

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Such as a color blind rule, and also the general jerk-ness of refusing to change your color when your opponent ask for vision issues. Like there's nothing that says you have to pick a easy to see color but it just is like one of those things you do not to be a bad sport.
I don't get it, can you explain on detail?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
There is a color-blind rule in place that allows for people with vision impairments (such as color-blindness) or in cases where the character color may cause confusion (such as sonic and Lucario having red and green team colors that are hard to discern from the blue team color) to have priority in color choice.

So there is a bit of a stigma when it comes to taking advantage of an outside factor that the opponent can't control (like color-blindness) to your advantage.

There's nothing against coordinating your character color to your advantage but many TOs probably won't allow you to take advantage of that considering all the gray area that comes with it. Are we going to require color-blind people to prove they are color-blind? Do they need doctor's papers? Can you decide to play on a lower resolution TV as an advantage because it'd be harder to see?

Things like this are factors that cause the color-blind rule to come into effect.

I'm getting kinda deep into it now, but long story short, it's not something that's viable in tournament setting because of rulesets but it also comes down to whether or not the person cares enough to talk to a TO about it. The argument isn't in your favor though.

You can try it but it probably wouldn't change that much, it would just be really annoying to fight a black GW on a black background stage like 75m

Top Bottom