• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bleeding heart 'competitive players'

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
I've always woundered, have you guys ever accepted that there is a player better then you who is the least ranked on a competitive playing chart. Say link, or yoshi. and not only Marth. What you guys need to understand is once you master a character, the actual skill of the character doesn't mater anymore.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I've always woundered, have you guys ever accepted that there is a player better then you who is the least ranked on a competitive playing chart. Say link, or yoshi. and not only Marth. What you guys need to understand is once you master a character, the actual skill of the character doesn't mater anymore.
We all accepted that years ago. Tiers don't determine skill, dude.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Granted, i know very little about AT's, but something always sticks in my head. Wavedashing, for example, i have heard, is used a lot to space yourself from your opponent. It's a technique, which once learnt, technically makes it easier to space yourself, because you can do it faster. Therefore, wouldn't it be harder and technically require more skill to space yourself effectively, without using Wavedashing?

L-Cancelling is obviously very useful. I know what it's used for. With it gone, though, wouldn't it mean that you can't be haphazardly using your moves as you fall close to the ground (i understand that this is Smash, and that the game is hectic, but just hear my point) because the lack of L-Cancelling would mean that if you aren't as precise, you leave yourself open?

The point is this. AT's are, regardless of anything, techniques. They are used to make the overall play of the game more fluid and easier so that the person using them can outsmart their opponent, cancel move lag, space themselves, and so on. But they are techniques, and once you learn them, they are invaluble to your play, yes?

If you were to try winning at a tourney without them, it'd be very hard, yes?

So, now that in Brawl, many of them have been removed, doesn't that mean that you have to up your fighting, comboing, etc, even MORE to make up for the lack of ATs?
What I bolded is the main parts that I am replying too.

Wavedashing: Spacing is sometimes the use for it like samus and such but because of the start up (I think around 14 frames?), there is an amount of time where you can't do anything so many characters opt to dash back and grab or pivot a smash or whatever over wavedashing back into whatever since they would have to run back in anyway and many character don't have similar dashes and wavedashes. Captain Falcon comes to mind.

L-Cancel: You can still be punished off a missed aerial or a mistimed one on your shield. It allows you to combo though but everyone can L-cancel which levels the playing field. Melee aerials were designed with this in mind because notice how in brawl the lack of l-cancelling (thus far anyway) was made up for with less overall landing lag. Melee aerials tend to have excessive lag without L-cancelling but still many have alot of lag after using this. Without L-cancelling you can't really combo aside from top tiers who have like grab -> hit or random dash attack chains which can be DIed pretty easily, so when matches devolve into spamming random ground moves when noone moves really makes the game boring as opposed to ACTUALLY being able to approach and do combos that work. It doesn't give you an advantage because everyone can do it and it doesn't limit how precise you have to be because again you can still be punished pretty bad.

Last part: No you don't have to necessarily make up for anything because melee was designed around certain techniques. It would only be harder to win a tourney if you were purposely limiting yourself which would be ridiculous. Advanced techniques are only seen as useful in a context of relativity which means if that there is still no way to l cancel in brawl then that was made up for by general lack of lag on landing aerials thus it wouldn't be as necessary anyway.

Top Bottom