• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Blaze Free"

Keyo

Smash Apprentice
A maneuver used to get back safer on the stage while your opponent is trying to edgeguard u. Discovered by Blaze

Blaze (Roy) vs Liquid (Fox)

1:17 and 2:21 were perfect explanations of how to use the Blaze Free. Amazing stuff.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I think I get it..
When you come back with a sweetspotted recovery, drop down quick and sweetspot again..
The hitbox of the attack goes kind of through the stage, so if they are in range, they'll get hit and you can get back onto the stage quickly and more safe.
The concept of it is a great idea but it seems kind of risky if they know it's coming. They could just grab the edge really quick when you jump off..

I like your Roy.

xXafroXx

Smash Rookie
Wow that roy is crazy, I hope some day i kan manuever my roy like that.

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
I think I get it..
When you come back with a sweetspotted recovery, drop down quick and sweetspot again..
The hitbox of the attack goes kind of through the stage, so if they are in range, they'll get hit and you can get back onto the stage quickly and more safe.
The concept of it is a great idea but it seems kind of risky if they know it's coming. They could just grab the edge really quick when you jump off..

I like your Roy.
thanks. it should be obvious that this move(Blaze Free) SHOULD NOT be used frequently but when the opportunity is there, go for it. A warning tho, it takes some practice to get that without messing up because that also includes using it in other stages...not jus FD. so mastering the sweetspot in any stage is good and chances of roy failing depends on how good you can pull off the move.

Still thinkin if I should call it the "Blaze Free" or something else..lol

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Or perhaps you should not name it because its incredibly old :\
I dont say this to attack you or anything - and you have a decent Roy by the look of this video. Trust me though this isn't anything new. It's something we were using back around the time of Jack Garden tournament. You can throw in a forwardB to drop from the edge to mix it up and lessen the repetition getting you done in. Good work looking for things on your own rather than just copying videos. :)

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
Or perhaps you should not name it because its incredibly old :\
I dont say this to attack you or anything - and you have a decent Roy by the look of this video. Trust me though this isn't anything new. It's something we were using back around the time of Jack Garden tournament. You can throw in a forwardB to drop from the edge to mix it up and lessen the repetition getting you done in. Good work looking for things on your own rather than just copying videos. :)
its cool i understand..just never knew. It was mainly to bring it to the attention of other roy users, because it doesnt seem to be used as often if at all nowadays. I appreciate the comments

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Calling it Blaze Free seems kinda misleading, since you're using the blazer and all. Lol.

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
just to avoid making a new thread, I'd take any constructive criticism on the vid so feel free..

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
There are a lot of moments where it seems you make errors technically....so I won't pick at them.
A few things I'll mention though:
Try not to downsmash fast fallers. It almost always gets you counter attacked before you stop lagging. There are exceptions and they generally involve higher percents and stunning the foe with something safer like the first hit of the nair or a shuffld fair.
Your opponent techs on the spot often. You look to almost always attack this with a downtilt. It's not bad, but you can just as easily land a forwardsmash and follow that up with some Bspam edgeguarding for an easy kill.
At 1:28 you had the perfect opportunity to go for a shuffld bair. You don't seem to use this move much. I would suggest you do.
2:24 you shuffl nair into B. If the opponent is down on the floor like that I wouldnt use something like B often. It's easily rolled past with correct timing and doesnt wind-down so fast you can't be punished....which is not a great thing that close to the edge (esp. against shine) You could just go straight for the forwardB third hit and clear out from there. Alternatively if you use a dtilt you can still range get-ups. If it connects you have a good chance to follow up and clear out. If it's rolled past you can either fsmash behind you out of it or better still forwardB (first hit) grab and keep them at the edge.
Careful getting up off the edge with upair too often it gets CC'd. Consider mixing that up.
That's my two cents.

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
Thanks for your input chrono. I've checked back after reading what you had to say. I tend to make llittle mistakes that i even see myself but it becomes too late to fix it so I jus move on and try to make up.

I luv bair..I usually use it in my game more frequently(which will eventually show up in future vids if anything) but sometimes I try to time a shffl'd bair too well and it becomes unsuccessful. Ill work on it, but thanks for bringing a good point.

sometimes i can be reckless and automatically go for a move like upair as I enter the stage (knowing it may end up getting CC'd). its jus a habit I had but i've learned to stop and will be better at...switching up tactics is something I luv to do and i'm workin on perfecting it

Top Bottom