• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blastzone Heights and the Meta

SwordM13X24

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sword
3DS FC
4227-4395-5715
Unless I've gone crazy, a lot of Smash4's maps have rather low ceilin's compare'd to older games. Because of the lower heights, I see moves that do a lot of vertical knockback becomin' centralizin' in the meta a bit.

If blastzones were to be made higher, how much impact would it have in the meta? Would it be a good, bad, or a neutral change?

Ya don't have to stop on just the map height, ya can discuss about blastzones in general and hypotheical changes and it's potential effects.

Megamang

Smash Lord
If blastzones were made bigger, heavy characters and characters that can kill with extreme power would see increased usage, as well as the more obvious characters with horizontal kill options would be more important. If the blastzones moved out in every direction, recovery and gimping would become more important.

An interesting thing about this game's meta history, is that on the 3DS we had bigger blastzones on most stages. Then, when the Wii U version ported, the blastzones were made smaller and vectoring was removed, for the most part. What remains of vectoring I don't fully understand, but vertical kills were made easier and combo's became better (Mario was considered one of the worst in early 3ds days). Since then, the overall trend has been to nerf problematic vertical kill setups, this last patch shaking up a character considered number 1 by removing her ability to repeatedly set up for a vertical kill. The next obvious target is luma's setups. But they are more avoidable, and rely on having your star buddy alive. What will happen, is anyone's guess.

[BROF]

Smash Apprentice
Sadly Smash 4 doesn't have the perfectly spaced out, balanced, and varied blastzones that melee has in its legal stages. It would be amazing to have a super small stage like Yoshi, and a humongous one like Dreamland. But we're going to have to deal with it given how development is 100% done.

I mean, we could actually use modded stages in the future, but I personally don't see the community adopting any of that.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Sadly Smash 4 doesn't have the perfectly spaced out, balanced, and varied blastzones that melee has in its legal stages. It would be amazing to have a super small stage like Yoshi, and a humongous one like Dreamland. But we're going to have to deal with it given how development is 100% done.

I mean, we could actually use modded stages in the future, but I personally don't see the community adopting any of that.
There's always custom stages, but those are only in small medium, and large sized blastzones

Last edited:

[BROF]

Smash Apprentice
I believe there was a project in smashboards to try to get custom stages off and going. But its a logistics nightmare. Even more so than singles.

Remember that convenience is king in communities like this after all.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice

It doesn't help that, when the community gets a stage that is fairly unique in that respect, they still lean toward banning rather than using... [Umbra]

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
As stages get larger, moves that are used to kill will undergo an incredible test, and that test is the test of KBG. Characters with killing moves that have high KBG will see greater success because their killing moves will work earlier with each extra percent given, whereas moves with low KBG will require a lot of percent given before they tack the enemy that little bit further off the stage into the blast-zones.

It would be interesting. When you think about it our current meta is interesting. Some moves are and aren't good because their KBG come into effect too early or late. What would happen if we altered these numbers? It's a fun concept to play with.

Top Bottom