• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blastoise for Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U DLC!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
BLASTOISE FOR SUPER SMASH BROS. 3DS/WII U DLC!

I know a lot of fans are against this because they would prefer Squirtle to be back but there are good reasons to pick Blastoise to be a fighter for sure.

Reasons/Moves:

I think it would be awesome to have the iconic starter fight of Charizard vs. Blastoise. The two Pokemon fighting each other is one of the most popular rivalry's in all of Pokemon. And would be pretty awesome to see reenacted in Smash.

Unlike potentially Venusaur (who I use to support), Blastoise has good potential to be a well crafted fighter and could use a variety of cool moves like Surf, Hydro Pump or maybe even Earthquake or Skull Bash. Blastoise would of course be a rather heavy character and could be sized to be a little smaller than Bowser and that would work fine for him.

Popularity:

I know it's a weird choice for some, sure, but Blastoise is definitely one of the most popular Pokemon.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/57679/toplist-results-the-25-greatest-pokemon-of-all-time/page:5

In a large vote by Dorkly, he ranked 3rd behind Charizard and Mewtwo.

http://ca.ign.com/top/pokemon/3

Once Again Blastoise appeared 3rd right behind Charizard and Mewtwo in another fan vote by IGN.

Obviously these are only two different examples of fan votes but they are good to note none the less.

Conclusion:

Blastoise is really popular, iconic and would make a great addition to the Smash roster. Yes it's is a personal pick of mine and probably wont ever happen but man it would be pretty cool.

Supporter List: 7
UberPyro64
dangeraaron10
WeirdChillFever
Doctor3AM
Azure Warrior
Diddy Kong
Homelessvagrant

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It should be noted that Sakurai briefly considered Blastoise to join Charizard as part of Pokemon Trainer's loadout but he opted for Squirtle and Ivysaur instead to represent all 3 stages of evolution (Squirtle 1st, Ivysaur 2nd, Charizard Final).

While I certainly wouldn't mind Blastoise being here, he has to compete with his first form who has veteran status, not to mention he might feel redundant with Greninja, another final form water starter, already in the game to many people.

So yes, a major longshot for the water cannon turtle. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him pitted against Bowser as a fellow turtle nemesis.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Does no one else want to support Blastoise? Shame, but I knew he wasn't a popular Smash request anyway. Very popular in the Pokemon community however.

It should be noted that Sakurai briefly considered Blastoise to join Charizard as part of Pokemon Trainer's loadout but he opted for Squirtle and Ivysaur instead to represent all 3 stages of evolution (Squirtle 1st, Ivysaur 2nd, Charizard Final).

While I certainly wouldn't mind Blastoise being here, he has to compete with his first form who has veteran status, not to mention he might feel redundant with Greninja, another final form water starter, already in the game to many people.

So yes, a major longshot for the water cannon turtle. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him pitted against Bowser as a fellow turtle nemesis.
Yeah we already have Greninja as the water starter but it would still be cool to have Blastoise regardless. I also support Blaziken so having two fire starters and two water starters would be pretty cool. You'd have the originals and more recent popular ones. Of course Grass is left out but grass starters are just never as popular as Fire or Water.

Maybe if Gen 7 or 8 has an amazing grass starter that is more popular than the fire or water starters then we could get that one in Smash 5 along with Venusaur if they could make him work as a character as it's still a very iconic Pokemon. Of course then we would have 10 Pokemon but by Smash 5 that might be okay as long as their aren't any other good candidates.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Lots of good Blastoise fan art!

Some really good stuff here! Wish there was more Smash related art though. Oh well.

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I think Blastoise would be an optimal candidate for 5mash. Everyone complains about not having very many iconic characters left, they just need to look deeper.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think Blastoise would be an optimal candidate for 5mash. Everyone complains about not having very many iconic characters left, they just need to look deeper.
More Generation 1 representation is the last thing Smash needs. Hell, more Pokémon representation at all is already stretching.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
More Generation 1 representation is the last thing Smash needs. Hell, more Pokémon representation at all is already stretching.
Well Gen 1 has the most iconic Pokemon. What can I say? But say if we have 10 reps, 5 at most should be Gen 1. Anymore might be a little much. Blastoise would definitely be a good choice as it is pretty iconic. Gen 3 can get Blaziken too I'd say. That would be good Gen 3 representation.

At this point we'd also have 2 Fire Starters and 2 Water Starters and that would be good to show the evolution of starters between Gens. As for Grass, it just doesn't have the popularity that Fire or Water does. So it's unlikely to ever be truly represented as unfortunate as it is.

Smash 5 can get 2 new Pokemon reps from Gen 7 and 8 and then I'd think we'd be solid. Gen 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 would be represented fine leaving only Gen 2 and 5 unrepresented.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
YEA BOI!!! :009: Count me in! :009:

**** the Bloods vs the Crips, CHARIZARD :006: VS BLASTOISE :009: !

Won't probably happen during the DLC lifespan of Smash Wii U / 3DS but I'll dream on! :009:

:009: #TeamHyrdoPump :009:

Top Bottom