• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bland/Boring Menus in Brawl?

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
Black and purple = more exciting than White red green purple blue and yellow?

Thats kinda weird.
But... Black and Purple are my favorite colors. :(

That's why I loved Melee's menu so much. It's probably just taste, and I can see why many people will like Brawl's menu, because it very much resembles the Wii console menu screen. But for me it just doesn't quite cut it, it just seems boring somehow.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Brawl is more colorful and inviting, but Melee's was honestly more organized. the options aren't vertically a lined like in the past. The Brawl menu on the other hand seems designed for the Wii pointer, yet Sakurai has been putting emphasis on using the GCN controller. I foresee awkward moments where people can't get to options as quickly as they'd like.

It really won't matter though. I'm not going to complain.

If it's anything like most Wii games, the Remote is the default control for the menu unless set otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me if you still need one Wiimote to navigate.

kimchii xD

Smash Cadet
Menus don't matter to me, as the main point of the game is to fight, not fool around with the menus.
But I do like the new bright and colorful backgrounds.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Yesh, Brawl's menu background sucks... Melee's was a lot better. But, I would hate for it to be back. Cause having it for two games Fuh-Fuh-Fuh-PHAIL.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
i hate these new ones
the colors look to bright and girly- doesn't really fit in with an action game
plus all the buttons are in dissaray- i'm someone who can't live without order

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
It was definitly inspired by Kirby Air Ride...

Infact, it looks just like it.... (With the exception of game modes, background, and different pictures)
Does anybody actually have some sort of image of the Kirby Air Ride menus? I don't have the game, so I don't know what they look like.

Suoinegni

Smash Apprentice
I like both menus, but if I had to choose, I'd make a combination of the two. Keep the color scheme of Brawl, but the vertical alignment of Melee. I guess I just don't like randomly placed (not really, but I hope you all get what I mean about the placement of icons in Brawl) buttons/options. I like stuff to be pretty, but streamlined, I suppose.

Rosadiddly

Smash Cadet
I VERY MUCH AGREE WITH THIS. I was pondering whether or not to make a thread about this.... but decided against it seeing as I've never made one before.

but yeah!!!! it looks so bright and pastel... and very bland!!! (in my opinion)
Also, the menus in melee were very much suited to its overall style and play...
brawl's on the other hand look too pastel to really go with brawl's overall theme (SSE, beating characters up, general violence, etc.).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
i hate these new ones
the colors look to bright and girly- doesn't really fit in with an action game
plus all the buttons are in dissaray- i'm someone who can't live without order
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Jahrule

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm a guy that likes simplistic designs. I like it. Another reason why they did the menu buttons or whatever is because people will be using the wiimote to choose stuff, unless it's the GC. But we don't know for sure.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
No way, melee's menus were dark and depressing. While brawl's menus are bright and cheerful.
And what about people that find darker themes sensational, and bright themes too childish and dull?

It's easy to add descriptions to a certain style, but not everyone experiences them in the same way I'm afraid.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Well, here's a video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lnWysgtpBLA

It shows it in motion, and I do agree with Cereal Rabbit, it shows STRONG resemblance to Kirby Air ride. Is Hal one of the main companies making this game?
Oh, now I see what everyone's talking about. Seems like Sakurai sticks with the same 2 formats for most of his games. He derived the Meteos format from Melee, and now derived the Brawl format from Kirby Air Ride.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
Smash 64's menus were much more boring. They had blueprint-like backgroundas, black with some white line designs, and they were static. I think the options were white, highlights were red.

Melee's were more dynamic, with a moving background, cool yellow colors to the options, etc.

Brawl is going in a new direction, with the bright colors.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Sure, pastille colours aren't exactly the best... but thank god the actual game has colour! Haha.

(that's if you own a colour TV :( )

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
I havent really played melee before, but brawls menus look so bland/boring to me. do you all think so?? was melee like this? I know the original didnt.:confused::confused::confused::urg:
what?

Are you going to spend your time looking at the menus? I don't think I'll buy the game to stare at the menu screen..

pud22

Smash Apprentice
i didn't really care for brawl's menu screen at first, but it started 2 grow on me once i realized how little it really mattered and how awesome the game is gonnabe regardless of the navigation screens. and who knows they may allow u 2 change the display and layout or sumthin.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
as long as the menus can be easily navigated through very quickly like in brawl and air ride (which im sure they will be), then i dont care how they look.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I have OCD so the fact that they are so unordered and non-linear kinda ruins it. As for the colours, there's a little bit too much pink, it would have been nice if he used a little more variation in the colour scheme

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
I just don't like the fonts they use for e.g. Character select name font. That 'Donkey kong' is so compressed.

Top Bottom