• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black Mage for Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
1531877640682.png
Why Black Mage?
He is a very classic Final Fantasy Icon that has been around during NES days.

What would he do?
Watch this video to understand what the playstyle would act like.

Why do we need a second Final Fantasy Character?
We don't, I just happen to want one. With all these rumors of Shadow being playable because of the lack of his assist trophy shown, and the reveal of a Knuckles assist trophy, that makes me want a Second Final Fantasy character and I feel Black Mage is a standout choice along with Sephiroth and Tifa Lockhart which I'll make posts for later.

Costumes:
TBD

Fan Art:
Art by Shin F
black_mage_smashified__transparent__by_shinfurevindo-d935r42.png

Supporters:
Shin F. Shin F.
S SEGAGameBoy
Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6
Hydra of Chaos Hydra of Chaos
@psb123
3DSNinja 3DSNinja
Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I support Black Mage. Classes and class changes are huge parts of a large number of Final Fantasy games, and Black Mage is the most visually distinct and recognizable from among the staples, so he makes perfect sense for representing that aspect of the series. I don't think he'll happen, but I'd love to see it nonetheless.

Edit: Also, I made this art of him quite a while back. Feel free to use it, if you'd like.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I support Black Mage. Classes and class changes are huge parts of a large number of Final Fantasy games, and Black Mage is the most visually distinct and recognizable from among the staples, so he makes perfect sense for representing that aspect of the series. I don't think he'll happen, but I'd love to see it nonetheless.

Edit: Also, I made this art of him quite a while back. Feel free to use it, if you'd like.
Thanks for the honest feedback and your support. and Also thanks for the Artwork, I'll be featuring it on the main post shortly :)

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Final Fantasy XV. But, I'm planning on getting Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for my PS4. I support!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I support. Black Mage is the most iconic class of the pre-Cloud Final Fantasys and honestly would have been my pick for the series. I know Cloud has his popularity and all that but Black Mage feels more Nintendo to me, you know?

Stardew Farmer

Smash Rookie
I completely support the Black Mage being added to Smash Bros. He (or she) is my most wanted character. I won't deny I was disappointed when Cloud got in as the Final Fantasy rep. I have my fingers crossed for the character even if he does have some huge obstacles to overcome.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Even if I appreciate Cloud's inclusion, I was always more eager to get Black Mage as a Final Fantasy character because I loved its design (especially Vivi and Mario spin-off BM, which I really hope would be costumes) and moveset potential thanks to Smash Flash 2.

I support.

D

Deleted member

I always thought the Black Mage would be the first Final Fantasy character they'd add to Smash. Before Cloud came and blew away all our expectations that is :p regardless, you can consider me a supporter.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
Oh yes, Black Mage all the way.
Would love to see more magic users, and Black Mage is super recognizable.
Also, might be fun to play around with the spells available at the time for their moveset, or even trying to work in the spell slot mechanic early final fantasy games had

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I always wanted Black Mage in Smash, but I wanted specifically Vivi. But I also didn't want Vivi because Final Fantasy IX never appeared on Nintendo platforms, so I pretty much didn't want Black Mages at all for that reason. But now that FF IX is finally coming to a Nintendo platform, I think it's ready to get that Black Mage rep, Vivi, in Smash. I'll happily support. I doubt it'll ever happen sadly, but hey, the same was said for Cloud, and look where we are. And hey, when we get Vivi in, maybe we'll also get Final Fantasy IX music to go with it? ..would give Midgar a little more music to go along with it than just the 2 battle themes from that FF VII.

Either way. VIVI FOR SMASH!! I can't believe I can finally say that. Sign me up! :yoshi:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Dang, I was actually working on a Vivi Ornitier support thread today in another tab but didn't finish it. I guess I ran out of time. :ohwell:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Is this a support thread for Black Mage or Vivi?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Black Mage should get in. tons of potential, great rep of Nintendo Final Fantasy, and he is a MAGE. We need more. I support.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Black Mage supporter here, sorry I'm late! The Black Mage is my favorite character in Final Fantasy and I would love to see him join the roster. While Cloud is also a huge face to Final Fantasy, the Black Mage is also a highly recognized character of the FF series. The Black Mage would be the next FF character I want in Smash, and I'd love to see him be right next to Cloud in battle! I'm not a big fan of Vivi's design from FF9, but I think Black Mage's design from FF1 will do. A design similar like this would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom