• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bike approaches

Fire Up

Smash Rookie
Warning:
First post on this site. Playing smash on and off since 64. (Go easy on me)

I've been having trouble recently with bike approaches, and wanted to see if you guys have any tips on less predictable bike strats. Other than jump off fair or dair.

Ways to not get punished after using bike would also be appreciated.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it is best done at close range. The closer you are, the less time opponent has to react. Also, I like using as I am running or jumping away from someone chasing me. People seem to let their guard down if they are trying to get to you.

To not get punished, I'd say don't be predictable. Don't always return from bike the same way. Fast falling helps, and if they rush you just be ready with dodge/chomp/another bike/etc.

DMoT

Smash Rookie
The bike has changed quite a lot since Brawl. One thing I've noticed is that it can hurt people even after you've jumped off, letting you drive it into people that are charging a smash to punish the approach. You can sort of use it as a projectile.

I've been mostly using it going straight into a wheelie to block any projectiles and then short hopping off just before the bike gets to them, then going into a fast fall dair or grab if they shield or meeting them mid-air with aerials if they jump the bike.

It depends on the match-up though. There are some projectiles like Link's bombs that always blast you off the bike.

Edge crashing is easy on most stages now as well, so you can eat it for that massive 1% heal (and waft charge?) or pick it up to use it as the least sneaky projectile in the game.

I mention edge crashing because once you learn to do that you learn how to *just* not edge crash, which has worked well for me as a way to get past people edge camping you.

Offensively you get multiple hits when you skid the bike, so if people are only shielding the initial hit you can skid it and hit them a few more times.

You've got your wheelie slam too but it's incredibly easy to see it coming. I've never actually hit anyone with it.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
The bike has changed quite a lot since Brawl. One thing I've noticed is that it can hurt people even after you've jumped off, letting you drive it into people that are charging a smash to punish the approach. You can sort of use it as a projectile.

I've been mostly using it going straight into a wheelie to block any projectiles and then short hopping off just before the bike gets to them, then going into a fast fall dair or grab if they shield or meeting them mid-air with aerials if they jump the bike.

It depends on the match-up though. There are some projectiles like Link's bombs that always blast you off the bike.

Edge crashing is easy on most stages now as well, so you can eat it for that massive 1% heal (and waft charge?) or pick it up to use it as the least sneaky projectile in the game.

I mention edge crashing because once you learn to do that you learn how to *just* not edge crash, which has worked well for me as a way to get past people edge camping you.

Offensively you get multiple hits when you skid the bike, so if people are only shielding the initial hit you can skid it and hit them a few more times.

You've got your wheelie slam too but it's incredibly easy to see it coming. I've never actually hit anyone with it.
I usually only land the wheelie smash in teams...

Wario in teams is hilarious, wonderful way to make enemies lol

Doctor Destructo

Smash Journeyman
You can switch up your game while biking towards your enemy, making a skidding turn or popping the wheelie as you touch someone with your front wheel makes it into a nice two-hit combo, and it changes Wario's location in conjunction to the bike to make punishes potentially whiff. You can also really screw with someone by slowing and accelerating your approach to space them out, and to land those hot wheelies.

If you're in a custom-friendly scene as well, you can use the Burying Bike alongside DMoT's advice:
One thing I've noticed is that it can hurt people even after you've jumped off, letting you drive it into people that are charging a smash to punish the approach. You can sort of use it as a projectile.
This gives you a pseudo-projectile that additionally buries enemies and gives you a free followup on them.

NV3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5301-0604-5662
I really enjoy wheelie-ing into weaker projectiles and then slamming down on the opponent. I get a lot of my kills that way! It's a good way to punish someone who mindlessly throws projectiles.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I usually only land the wheelie smash in teams...

Wario in teams is hilarious, wonderful way to make enemies lol
Oh my god, my brother and I played Team Glory, and he uses whoever he uses and I use Wario.

After like 3-4 matches in a row where I was the deciding winner, they BOTH pick Warios and try to do what I do except they don't know how to time it and suck so they end up losing.
This happens very frequently.

Also, I don't go for wheelies much because the delay in trying to jump off the bike is too long and most times I don't hit it I'm near the bottom of the stag and have to get back to the edge giving my opponent an advantage.

With that being said one of the best times to do a wheelie is once you've knocked your opponent far off at 80%+ damage, go to the other side, when they're approaching a lot of times because you've given them so much space they won't go for the edge but go for a clean landing near the edge. Speed that bike up pop it up before they land and pull it down.
I've gotten it to work a few times in singles against some really really good players. I think I was only able to pull it off because I just pulled it out of my pocket and they weren't expecting it because most of the match I just threw the bike at them and not ride it out all the way.

Last edited:

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Oh my god, my brother and I played Team Glory, and he uses whoever he uses and I use Wario.

After like 3-4 matches in a row where I was the deciding winner, they BOTH pick Warios and try to do what I do except they don't know how to time it and suck so they end up losing.
This happens very frequently.

Also, I don't go for wheelies much because the delay in trying to jump off the bike is too long and most times I don't hit it I'm near the bottom of the stag and have to get back to the edge giving my opponent an advantage.

With that being said one of the best times to do a wheelie is once you've knocked your opponent far off at 80%+ damage, go to the other side, when they're approaching a lot of times because you've given them so much space they won't go for the edge but go for a clean landing near the edge. Speed that bike up pop it up before they land and pull it down.
I've gotten it to work a few times in singles against some really really good players. I think I was only able to pull it off because I just pulled it out of my pocket and they weren't expecting it because most of the match I just threw the bike at them and not ride it out all the way.
I recently learned that if you pull out the bike on the ground (or close to the ground) & drive it off the stage, you can pull out another in midair to return to the stage! Provided, of course, that the first bike disappears past the blast zone first. It saves your 2nd jump, too! Caught a lotta players off-guard when I did that :D

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Short hopping off bike? Is that possible? I always jump a set height... And it seems like you can't jump while doing a wheelie, which is very dangerous. I'm actually having some problems incorporating the bike into my game besides recovery.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Short hopping off bike? Is that possible? I always jump a set height... And it seems like you can't jump while doing a wheelie, which is very dangerous. I'm actually having some problems incorporating the bike into my game besides recovery.
Wheelie is a detriment against myself fast players imo.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
One thing you should never do is turn around to hit your opponent again, if your opponent shields the first hit(and near the edge of the stage) then go ahead and turn for a second hit to connect. But if you hit someone on one side of the stage and go to the next just jump of the bike.

The turning animation is long as hell you're literally making your next move clear thus giving your opponent a chance to counter attack. Jumping off the bike is safer since it'll respawn instantly.

And if your bike is on stage from it up not towards your opponent(unless they're off stage) it'll make them think twice about approaching if they do approach they'll get a bike crashing on their heads.

The bike is Wario's main tool actually, he's literally impossible to camp.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
But forcing a bike approach from him seems like an easy way to lay on some hurt. If you hop on from far away there's not much you can do that isn't readable. A fox can spam you with lasers, for example, and stop before you get close enough to do anything. I think just approaching without is sometimes the better option. Pull the bike out when the opponent is preoccupied instead

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
But forcing a bike approach from him seems like an easy way to lay on some hurt. If you hop on from far away there's not much you can do that isn't readable. A fox can spam you with lasers, for example, and stop before you get close enough to do anything. I think just approaching without is sometimes the better option. Pull the bike out when the opponent is preoccupied instead
Wario's bike actually goes right through Fox's lasers. With that said, I completely agree with you. For the most part, Wario's bike should be used as a projectile.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I fought a really good Lil Mac last night who I could get close to beating with my mains, but lost to almost every game. Then I switched to wario and he fell apart. Every time he thought he knew how to respond to my bike, I'd use it a bit differently and punish his response. Every time he whiffed a smash attack or rolled poorly I bit his face. Was a lot of fun.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I fought a really good Lil Mac last night who I could get close to beating with my mains, but lost to almost every game. Then I switched to wario and he fell apart. Every time he thought he knew how to respond to my bike, I'd use it a bit differently and punish his response. Every time he whiffed a smash attack or rolled poorly I bit his face. Was a lot of fun.
IMO a really good little Mac will never let me get on the bike unless I'm so far away but then it's moot because he can read it. Your best bet with Wario is to chomp him as he's trying to run and attack or chomp before he gets halfway through f+b. Keep chomping and eating. He can't counter a chomp but after the counter shine he will get chomped. Definitely pick your spots when to use the bike against Mac.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
He was good he just obviously didn't know the matchup. Happens sometimes when you pick lesser used characters

Rakurai

Smash Ace
This isn't going to be a frequently applicable bit of information, but I noticed that if you take the bike out in midair, land on the ground, drive off-stage, then jump off, you will not be able to take a second bike out.

However, if you jump off while the bike is still on the stage, you won't have any issues.

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Yea those kind of things are important to keep in mind. If you're in the air and jump off on stage you can reuse in the site air? don't think I've tried that.

Top Bottom