• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Better to start off with Missile or Charge Shot?

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Is it better to start of throwing a Super Missile or to begin Charging? It would depend on the MU, I assume.

Some people like to taunt to start off the match. If you start off with a SM, that's 10% and you get extra charge time. Nothing you already don't know, right? It's something so basic and miniscule that it's overlooked. Each of them have their pros and cons, but I lean more towards a SM start.

What do you think? Start off charging to force you to jump or roll OoS, or go with the Missile start? Let's say we are playing against Falcon that likes to rush. What's your move out of the two?

And again, you don't NEED to start these ways. It's just a choice.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I start off with CS charging
ESPECIALLY with Falcon,
Here's a post I made on the topic"how should I deal with pressure" just today http://smashboards.com/threads/how-should-i-deal-with-pressure.411154/
Some things I've found against rushdown characters like sheik, Cp. Falcon, and lil mac is that they tend to try and bum rush you when you charge your CS. Cp. Falcon especially. Now I may not be an expert in options or frame data and the like. But as an average player I found 2 things useful to use at the start of a match.
I like to start out charging which baits certain characters to do two things. For example lets use one of my favorite match-ups, Cp. Falcon. Most every falcon player expects you to shield cancel your CS, they're first move is to sprint grab your butt and start their Dthrow combos. But because theyre reading either a shield or a roll their totally vulnerable to 2 things you can do while charging.

1. Is pretty obvious, just release early. To some this catches them off guard and followed by a dash attack you'll be landing the first blow and can even combo off that dash. Use early release as a change up too. Remember that your CS is much more than a kill option, its great easy damage, and at kill percents people will expect you to go for a full charge but switch it up and get them staggered enough for a different kill stroke.

2. Is my favorite, grab out of charge. With falcon expecting a roll or shield he's going to try to get in your face asap. Knowing your grab distance and hitting it straight out of charge cancels the charge and gives you a free down throw combo. This will catch 98% of Falcons off guard. The other 2% have a SH approach combo which is punishable with OoS UpB or roll toward center, or spot dodge. I have rarely seen this approach because by charging at the start you seem like a CS spammer who does nothing but charge and shoot, You appear naive.

then its just a matter of using the affore mentioned techniques to mix it up and pull out a win. My experience as the average Joe trying to hold his own out their is that if you make a good play at the start you feel WAY better about your chances. It also throws off your opponent. Most nearly everyone doesnt see option 2 coming. its one of the reasons I win the Cp. Falcon matchup 90% of the time, It gets my rhythm going and disrupts or delays theirs.

We as Samus players revolve around our CS, Either to inflict pain, or to play mind games when we hold it in for ages. Why not use it as bait.
I dont know, just a thought.
Gist of it being I play dumb of easy punish, using charging as bait.
If they let me charge then good, I can play mind games.

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Depends on some circumstances. Some Samus players will throw out a missile as soon as possible to see how their opponent reacts to stuff like that. For example, if they hold shield, you know that you might be able to get a grab on them if you throw missiles at them again (I use relentless missiles customs so it's easier to do that kind of stuff). If they powershield it and bum rush you, it's safe to assume that missiles are useless against them since someone smart enough to powershield projectiles is difficult to keep away with missiles since they're laggy and slow. Starting by charging the CS is usually my go-to since I don't play a heavy missile zoning game despite my love for the relentless missile. Plus it's free time to get it full and we need every second we can get to charge it up seeing as it's our best kill option.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
I start off with CS charging
ESPECIALLY with Falcon,
Here's a post I made on the topic"how should I deal with pressure" just today http://smashboards.com/threads/how-should-i-deal-with-pressure.411154/
Some things I've found against rushdown characters like sheik, Cp. Falcon, and lil mac is that they tend to try and bum rush you when you charge your CS. Cp. Falcon especially. Now I may not be an expert in options or frame data and the like. But as an average player I found 2 things useful to use at the start of a match.
I like to start out charging which baits certain characters to do two things. For example lets use one of my favorite match-ups, Cp. Falcon. Most every falcon player expects you to shield cancel your CS, they're first move is to sprint grab your butt and start their Dthrow combos. But because theyre reading either a shield or a roll their totally vulnerable to 2 things you can do while charging.

1. Is pretty obvious, just release early. To some this catches them off guard and followed by a dash attack you'll be landing the first blow and can even combo off that dash. Use early release as a change up too. Remember that your CS is much more than a kill option, its great easy damage, and a kill percents people will expect you to go for a full charge but switch it up and get them staggered enough for a different kill stroke.

2. Is my favorite, grab out of charge. With falcon expecting a roll or shield he's going to try to get in your face asap. Knowing your grab distance and hitting it straight out of charge cancels the charge and gives you a free down throw combo. This will catch 98% of Falcons off guard. The other 2% have a SH approach combo which is punishable with OoS UpB or roll toward center, or spot dodge. I have rarely seen this approach because by charging at the start you seem like a CS spammer who does nothing but charge and shoot, You appear naive.

then its just a matter of using the affore mentioned techniques to mix it up and pull out a win. My experience as the average Joe trying to hold his own out their is that if you make a good play at the start you feel WAY better about your chances. It also throws off your opponent. Most nearly everyone doesnt see option 2 coming. its one of the reasons I win the Cp. Falcon matchup 90% of the time, It gets my rhythm going and disrupts or delays theirs.

We as Samus players revolve around our CS, Either to inflict pain, or to play mind games when we hold it in for ages. Why not use it as bait.
I dont know, just a thought.
Gist of it being I play dumb of easy punish, using charging as bait.
If they let me charge then good, I can play mind games.
Right, I see what you mean here. Mind game Falcon with the charge because he's not too good against campers and has a bad anti-camp game. And with Falcon, it's best to spam what you've got because he takes the longest to finally pull out shield once he starts running. It forces either a jump or a back roll (back roll can still get you hit). I see them jumping around like nothing else. If they jump, F-air usually cancels everything they've got. With his weight and fall style, getting dash attacked at 0 is the last thing he wants.

Grab out of charge is funny, but if they DI correctly, you get nothing. I saw someone try a B-air out of D-throw because they DI'd well. If they don't DI, that's a good 35%. And with some Falcons, they run up, back roll, run up, back roll. ZeRo does it a ton. Falling for that bait, you'll take an up smash or a knee (and you don't want a knee at the ledge). And if they read your grab, a Falcon Punch? But what you're saying is 100% correct.

I love holding the charge, but when I finally release it, I always short hop fire it. You always headshot the opponent if you short hop like that. And if you SH the Charge, it has a better chance of hitting them in the air (cuz people jump OoS). It's also hilarious to mindgame them in to jumping around like a jumping spider frenzy. Scared like nothing else.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I always charge at the start of a match. People play totally differently when you have a charged CS. Also if you're playing against a Fox, they will almost always start off a match lasering you because they think you will charge CS. If they do this, you can usually run across the stage and grab them while they're putting away their laser.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I always charge at the start of a match. People play totally differently when you have a charged CS. Also if you're playing against a Fox, they will almost always start off a match lasering you because they think you will charge CS. If they do this, you can usually run across the stage and grab them while they're putting away their laser.
Or release halfway and they will get hit because they can't get out of laser fast enough, usually with more percent then they gave you. Which will annoy them and keep them from laser camping.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Like you said it depends on the matchup, that being said against rush down characters i feel like just rushing them and going for a shoulder to uair uair upb seems to be a good third choice since they aren't expecting a samus to rush in at the match start, at least for different FG matches i've played

Tech-no-cal

Smash Rookie
I always start off CS charging because my opponent will usually run towards me for a dash attack punish, to which I respond with a grab. This is better than a missile, because your opponent can usually jump over the missile, and you will have a mostly charged or fully charged CS in reserves. Grab out of CS is a very useful tool and using down throw + CS in air right afterwards will do a good amount of damage.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I always start off CS charging because my opponent will usually run towards me for a dash attack punish, to which I respond with a grab. This is better than a missile, because your opponent can usually jump over the missile, and you will have a mostly charged or fully charged CS in reserves. Grab out of CS is a very useful tool and using down throw + CS in air right afterwards will do a good amount of damage.
Thats what I do too, but lately people have been letting me charge the thing. be aware though of SH approaches last minute.. theyll wreck this strategy

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
I find success in running and grabbing followed by SH fair. Usually against a Little Mac and C.Falcon, or anyone else you notice that likes to charge at the beginning.

Otherwise I tend to charge.

Tech-no-cal

Smash Rookie
Also, I sometimes will fire my fully-charged CS before it is held in reserve (before the flash appears on Samus' Arm Cannon). This will deal about the same amount of damage and will make the same noise when you release a stored CS.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Yeah, I usually always surprise a Falcon or a dash starter by running up and grabbing. And against Falcon, a grab from 0, can take him to near 40%.

And when I fire the CS and max charge, I hit jump and special nearly at the same time. It will still hit shields, but it had a better chance of hitting them when they shield. You'll usually get a headshot. And it is better for when they try to jump OoS to dodge it. Doing this is optimal against Rosalina because Luma will eat the CS for her and then you can be punished.

Top Bottom