• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Better player on Anther's than For Glory?

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Recently I've had the time to set up some Anther's Ladder games rather than selecting 1 v 1 on For Glory. Is it just me, or do some people perform better on Anther's than against totally random opponents? I don't mean about counterpicking or any fancy things like that, I just mean in general?

I still don't have a main yet, but I tried returning to Pac Man and Robin now that I can put them on stages other than Final Destination. Bizarrely I won all but 1 of my games as them (crushed by a Weegee) which has renewed my hope for becoming good. When I took both characters onto FG a few minutes later, a typical Little Mac and Captain Falcon 2-stocked me and proceeded to crouch-spam me. Disheartening after getting my hopes up, but hopefully I'm not the only one this happens to? Maybe I just don't do well on Final Destination stages?

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
People on For Glory aren't as good because the majority on there just look for a quick match or just try out different characters. on Smash Ladder however, they seek for competition and therefore will find better people most of the time.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
You might personally perform better with platforms than without. Some people switch into something like Little Mac for an easy win when counterpicking to Final Destination.

In general, I've found that people on Smashladder are more skilled (especially people of high rank) and have better sportsmanship than on For Glory. You can try seeing how the person is rated in terms of fun and connection on their profile. If they have a bunch of 1s and 2s for fun, then they are likely toxic players.

I'm personally taking a break from smashladder until I get better internet.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
You might personally perform better with platforms than without. Some people switch into something like Little Mac for an easy win when counterpicking to Final Destination.

In general, I've found that people on Smashladder are more skilled (especially people of high rank) and have better sportsmanship than on For Glory. You can try seeing how the person is rated in terms of fun and connection on their profile. If they have a bunch of 1s and 2s for fun, then they are likely toxic players.

I'm personally taking a break from smashladder until I get better internet.
True; I perform much better on Battlefield as it's the stage I practice on offline most. And yet I play Final Destination on FG a lot more than any other stage, you'd think I'd adapt to it by now? Kirby, DK and Pac Man are my characters of choice at the moment, but that tends to change. :p

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Recently I've had the time to set up some Anther's Ladder games rather than selecting 1 v 1 on For Glory. Is it just me, or do some people perform better on Anther's than against totally random opponents? I don't mean about counterpicking or any fancy things like that, I just mean in general?

I still don't have a main yet, but I tried returning to Pac Man and Robin now that I can put them on stages other than Final Destination. Bizarrely I won all but 1 of my games as them (crushed by a Weegee) which has renewed my hope for becoming good. When I took both characters onto FG a few minutes later, a typical Little Mac and Captain Falcon 2-stocked me and proceeded to crouch-spam me. Disheartening after getting my hopes up, but hopefully I'm not the only one this happens to? Maybe I just don't do well on Final Destination stages?
Anther's has a far smaller, more dedicated playerbase than FG. So Anther's has a much better standard. FG is extremely inconsistent in comparison, but in terms of the potential encounters it actually isn't any worse. Lots of well-known players compete on FG for the hell of it.

As for getting disheartened, I know the feeling. If you think a strategy is typical, aim to break it down whenever you encounter it, since you'll certainly be seeing it again in the future. It's For Glory, after all.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
As others have mentioned, players on For Glory aren't necessary competitive smashers - they can be casuals, kids, smasher's girlfriends/boyfriends, or what have you... just playing for fun. Smash Ladder tends to be focused on the more competitive audience, who are much better at the game.

Top Bottom