• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Wolf Secondary?

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Looking for a character to deal with some of my/Wolf's tougher matchups, like Marth, D3, or Charizard. I've heard Sheik is pretty good as a secondary, and I agree, but she doesn't really click with me. I'll learn her if I need to though.

What do you guys think?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Sheik works, but she's a huge gameplay shift from wolf so going between the two could be hard. I also don't think she is hard counters to any of those characters, but probably win the mu slightly.

I'd recomend diddy and Pikachu for a character that beats all three (pika probably struggles vs ddd however) but those two characters are really hard and imo not characters you can just keep as pocket secondaries and do well with, but go for it if you already enjoy those two

Maybe try tink, once you get a hang of him you can just learn the optimal choices and flow chart your way to taking stocks, I think he beats all three of those characters handily. You'll still get gimped hard though, which is probably why you're switching away from wolf for those mus haha.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Sheik works, but she's a huge gameplay shift from wolf so going between the two could be hard. I also don't think she is hard counters to any of those characters, but probably win the mu slightly.

I'd recomend diddy and Pikachu for a character that beats all three (pika probably struggles vs ddd however) but those two characters are really hard and imo not characters you can just keep as pocket secondaries and do well with, but go for it if you already enjoy those two

Maybe try tink, once you get a hang of him you can just learn the optimal choices and flow chart your way to taking stocks, I think he beats all three of those characters handily. You'll still get gimped hard though, which is probably why you're switching away from wolf for those mus haha.
Before I considered Sheik, it was either Tink or Samus. I think Samus was more suited to being a main than a secondary (kind of hard to explain this logically, idk). I was already playing Tink decently and I find him more fun than the other 2 but I figured his recovery was a lil too weak vs those problematic matchups. Marth is less of a trouble to me, it's mostly the 3 fatties bowsa, char, and dede.

I think at a higher level marth will replace bowsa as a problem. I should just out-cheese Big Bowsa with grabs and lasers.

I'll try out those 3 (esp. tink) at a local smashfest tomorrow and see how I do. Thanks for the suggestions soft! <3

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Wolf loses to D3, Marth, and Charizard? Are we playing the same game lol? If Wolf gets a shine on any of the big characters, they're pretty much dead or taking like an 80% combo. And Marth is probably even, but seeing as most Marth's in PM are just Melee players they probably aren't used to the matchup and will drop a lot of edgegaurds. You don't really need a secondary for Wolf I think. Honestly I can see the only bad matchups for Wolf being Sonic, Yoshi, or Puff, and even then they're not that significantly stronger than Wolf (and Fox can cover them all if they're really that bad).

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Marth is probably even, but seeing as most Marth's in PM are just Melee players they probably aren't used to the matchup and will drop a lot of edgegaurds. Honestly I can see the only bad matchups for Wolf being Sonic, Yoshi, or Puff, and even then they're not that significantly stronger than Wolf (and Fox can cover them all if they're really that bad).
Wolf loses to Yoshi and Puff? Are we even playing the same game lol? Wolf beats Puff almost as hard as Tink. Sonic v Wolf is prob even, Fox v Sonic is close and Wolf can get past his gimping game and limit movement with lasers. Yoshi does ok vs Wolf, but still loses imo.
And I see no reason why, if it were a Marth player that had literally never played a Wolf before, they would have trouble adapting and edgeguarding. Wolf can get past marth better than the other two star creatures but he gets punished hard after landing.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Wolf loses to Yoshi and Puff? Are we even playing the same game lol? Wolf beats Puff almost as hard as Tink. Sonic v Wolf is prob even, Fox v Sonic is close and Wolf can get past his gimping game and limit movement with lasers. Yoshi does ok vs Wolf, but still loses imo.
And I see no reason why, if it were a Marth player that had literally never played a Wolf before, they would have trouble adapting and edgeguarding. Wolf can get past marth better than the other two star creatures but he gets punished hard after landing.
Could've done without your sarcastic comment, but fair enough. I don't think Wolf beats Puff as bad as you think because he is as easily gimped/rested as Fox, but lacks his camping game and vertical KO power. Lasers are overrated IMO because of clanking, Puff will eat them with a bair. He probably still wins, but not by much. Getting shine combos on floaties isn't that easy either. As for Sonic, idk, everytime I fight a Sonic in bracket, I lose with Wolf (pretty much because I have trouble getting in/getting the kill), then just go Fox and win the next two games. Also your laser comment is just not true, you should probably never pull out the gun against Sonic because of how fast he is. Making Sonic clank with a laser stops him briefly, but I don't think it particularly gives Wolf that big of an advantage. The matchup is probably even, but I feel Fox's nair is a lot better at out-prioritizing Sonic's hitboxes than Wolf's aerials. The only way I see Wolf being better at fighting Sonic than Fox is recovery, but the baseball slide gimps are still evil. Idk if you've ever fought a good Yoshi, but I've fought a bad one and it's an incredibly hard matchup because he outcamps, cc's everything, and has an OP shield/roll to get out of pressure. You pretty much have to shine grab, and they can just buffer roll out to safety. I'm not saying Wolf beats Marth btw, it's hella even. If the Marth is reading side b onto stage then that's your problem, because that's literally Wolf's worst recovery option. The marth would get hit by the Wolf Flash like once while edgegaurding, and then just outspace it the next time you're offstage. You should just go to ledge with side b or go high with up b to mix it up.

Top Bottom