• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to use D-smash?

Pipmonchan

Smash Cadet
NNID
pipvila
3DS FC
4012-4807-9528
I have played a lot of Villager and confirmed him to be my main (at least for now) for SSB4. I'm really feeling him. The only thing is that I have found Dsmash pretty useless to the point of not using it at all. It buries the oponent dealing very little damage and they break out too easily.
I could totally use some tips, thanks!

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
I think it would have good use in punishing excessive rolls, the same way Ness' Dsmash can

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think it would have good use in punishing excessive rolls, the same way Ness' Dsmash can
It's one of the worst down smashes for punishing rolls because it lacks lingering hitboxes, plus it doesn't cover both sides simultaneously, meaning you need to time it extremely well.

It's more effective to just ftilt in the direction your opponent is rolling, since it has more range and catches them far more easily.

The only purpose I could see it having it for damage building, as a buried opponent seems to take approximately half the knockback they normally do, but full damage. Actual players can't mash nearly as fast as the AI, and likely can be hit with numerous jabs or a tilt or two before they break out at a middle percentage.

Last edited:

Nein01

Smash Rookie
I feel like I just read somewhere on this board that grabbing works well after a Dsmash, but after trying that in training it seems impossible.

I also find villager's Dsmash to be kinda impractical since the opponent can escape it so quickly, but I like the suggestion of using an air attack directly after.

But what I've been doing so far following a Dsmash is the down A weed pull, which is easy enough since you'll already be holding the joystick down; just press A.

Maybe then after down A is the best time to air attack.

Meloetta Star

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taruzard
3DS FC
3110-5198-0358
From my experience, I've managed to follow a D-Smash with an U-Smash fairly consitently, usually hitting D-smash, U-Smash, U-Air/Slingshot for a quick combo if they get hit.

That said, I don't hit this too often, and trying it vs AI, they DI out of it quite easily, so it's more thanks to human error (Not expecting to be buried).
I've tried the Bury > Bowling Ball, but it seems to slow for me - they escape before the ball comes out without charge. Maybe at higher %, though it's not something I hit often enough to try xD

GreatKingBowserKoopa

Smash Apprentice
Use it once they have a lot of damage around 120%. Then drop a bowling ball on them, and (usually) BAM they're dead.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if dsmash spiked since it burries people, it could be used as an edge guard, but since it doesnt its mostly only good for getting good reads at high percents and combo into bowling ball.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
I don't like how buried opponents receive less knockback ;_; Makes down smash -> Forward smash really hard to kill. But when I do use Down smash I usually wait until they get out then upsmash or up air.

Top Bottom