• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Way to Unlock Custom Moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wariofan13

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warofan13
3DS FC
4828-5389-1635
I really want to get the smooth landing badge, but I have a hard time getting special moves. I've heard that the easiest way is to play Trophy Rush, but I have found it to not help. The modes I have gotten most of my special moves in are Smash Tour and Classic (on at least 5.0 and up). I was wondering if there is a quicker way besides that or buying tons of amiibos.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I think trophy rush is the best way of getting custom moves, I got most of the custom moves in this mode even more than classic mode.

Sadface

Smash Apprentice
Trophy rush by using palutena's heavenly light custom move (neutral B) is working ok for me, much better than the handful of runs through master orders (which some say is the best) or classic which is just a roulette skill test + some RNG.

Smash tour can be done just by pressing A rapidly and moving the stick sometimes (unless target blast or something shows up and it waits for you) so its an easy way, though mind numbing and might not be the fastest.

Also I think you can get them by participating enough in a conquest in For Glory.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
Amiibos don't unlock custom moves for you, btw. They can only use what you've already unlocked.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Exploiting any mode that allows custom equipment/moves often helps alot. Bruiser/critical hit builds can help you clear classic mode efficiently and some moves (like heavenly light) make trophy rush alot simpler.

Nothing really comes close to touching crazy orders honestly. You can bring a home run bat and trivialize most of the battles.

Most I've done is 49 turns and walked away with 124 custom parts. It what is probably only 15 minutes real time. In pure volume alone it trumps all other modes. It also lets you target the custom moves related to each franchise so you can avoid groups that would definitely be duplicates.

You don't even need to farm special orders tickets either. Once you pass turn 20 or so, completing 1 coin challenge should net you almost 5k gold.

There isn't really any better way, considering other modes might get you 5 parts in 3 minutes. Crazy Orders can get you 5 parts probably 20 seconds.

Kozmiic27

Smash Apprentice
Guys. In classic mode when the reward wheel is spinning, you can pause it by opening up the home menu .u can see whats coming next on the wheel and immediately press A after pressing the home button. If u dont like it just repeat the process until you see something you like. I make sure to always get custom moves :p

Have fun with this

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I recommend Classic on 7 or above (far more drops than on 5). Trophy Rush is what I use for custom moves, but it's not a particularly good way to get equipment (since you'll only get 2-4 typically).

Master and Crazy Orders are also a good method for equipment.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I recommend anything but Classic; it doesn't seem to give me many at all, even at 7.9+, and the series you get them from are typically based on the stage you play on, not the character you play as. Crazy Orders is better for sheer volume and targetting specific series, whereas Hard All-Star seems to be the only mode that consistently gives me customs for the character I'm using. Trophy Rush seems to give me them often proportional to other custom parts, but likely not much faster than the aforementioned.

pmort

Smash Cadet
I'm working on this now and Trophy Rush seems to be the way to go later in the game. While Crazy Orders & Classic will get you some moves, later on they seem to get you the same moves you already have, which stinks given the time those take to get through. And Smash Tour would occasionally get me some new moves even with a 15 turn game, but the last three I've tried have given me no new moves.

I've found a lot of success getting new ones in Trophy Rush though by using the characters I need moves for. Just last night I finished off five different characters in a row. Sure, sometimes you won't get a move, but you're only out 2 & a half minutes. Oftentimes you'll get a move for a character you're not even using either, in addition to a move for the one you're using. If you run low on money, do a Smash Tour run and go for the Coin reward battles. I still haven't stumbled on any homerun bat + first strike equipment for any single character, so I can only get as far as 18 or so matches, but even still you can rack up about 8000+ gold in that kind of run.

Also, I can't confirm if this is true or not in Trophy Rush, but I seemed to have a lot more luck getting new custom moves in for the character I was using when I wasn't using a custom. I went from using a few custom characters and would generally just get custom parts, sometimes a custom move, but using a default character I would frequently get custom moves. Could just be dumb luck or coincidence, but just throwing that out there.

Finally, doing this mode will also help get you towards that 50,000 trophy block goal, which takes a while.

FoxMcClown

Smash Rookie
Amiibos don't unlock custom moves for you, btw. They can only use what you've already unlocked.

They actually do. I have 4 amiibos at home, i set them in an FFA 99 life and at the end they each award me with 15-20 items each. Sometime this includes random custom moves for any character. So far this is how i got most of the 50 custom moves i have. The most effective way to get moves would probably be 8 man smash with amiibos when away from the console + trophy rush when you wanna grind yourself.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Guys. In classic mode when the reward wheel is spinning, you can pause it by opening up the home menu .u can see whats coming next on the wheel and immediately press A after pressing the home button. If u dont like it just repeat the process until you see something you like. I make sure to always get custom moves :p

Have fun with this
This only works in Smash 3DS.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
As somebody above me said, Home-Run Bat builds in Crazy Orders basically trivializes every battle, especially since the AI isn't all that great, and tends to walk into your bat.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Don't listen to this guy, he's wrong. I've unlocked 5 or 6 custom moves over time. I only have 2 amiibos though, if i had 5-6 i imagine 8player smash with all my amiibos would actually be a pretty effective way to get custom moves.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
If you have somebody to play with you, I recommend doing All Star mode on hard. Every turn you will get a custom bag which either has equipment or a custom move. The most interesting thing, the character that Player 1 picks will get a very high chance of getting their custom moves.

I played with somebody who used Little Mac and we got around 3 custom moves for him in one go. Of course the rng is sometimes evil and only gives you one custom move or none at all, but overall the results have been the best I encountered compared to other modes. With this method we were able to get all of Little Macs, Bowser, Donkey Kong and Toon Links custom moves in a couple rounds.

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
I'm sorry to say this but... I had the best luck with Smash Tour. I can't seem to unlock a home run bat badge so crazy orders isn't doing that well for me...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Crazy Orders surprisingly doesn't work so well from my experience. At the end of a run 98% of my reward is equipment, and at this rate what few custom moves I get are repeats. I've found better luck with Trophy Rush honestly.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I don't think there is really a best way to get custom moves in this game. I was able to get a few new custom moves by playing Target Blast. However, what you would most likely receive in all cases is equipment and there doesn't seem to be a higher chance of receiving new custom moves compared to receiving duplicates.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Crazy Orders surprisingly doesn't work so well from my experience. At the end of a run 98% of my reward is equipment, and at this rate what few custom moves I get are repeats. I've found better luck with Trophy Rush honestly.
The volume, speed and franchise targeting is whats key here. Out of the 124 parts I unlocked in a 50 turn run, 26 were custom moves and 18 were new (and this was after having more than half unlocked).

When you are clearing tickets every 5-10 seconds, it makes a big difference. Although, if you are working on all the challenges in the game, a variety of modes have good ways of targeting customs.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I really want to get the smooth landing badge, but I have a hard time getting special moves. I've heard that the easiest way is to play Trophy Rush, but I have found it to not help. The modes I have gotten most of my special moves in are Smash Tour and Classic (on at least 5.0 and up). I was wondering if there is a quicker way besides that or buying tons of amiibos.
Alright here's what i do, and it worked fairly quickly. Trophy rush. Do one character until you have all his moves and then move on, i averaged 1-2 new moves per 2:30 play. It's slow, but faster than anything i've seen. For most characters you just run back and forth across the stage UpSmashing. Another option is All-Star on hard. The problem with this is you may not have the skill to do that with every character as you seem to unlock moves mostly for the character you're using.

Everytime you stop playing sm4sh, set up a smash tour game and it will idle all the way through and get you some unlocks. You don't need to press anything, it will complete itself while you are away. (unless it hits a home-run contest minigame, that's the only thing that requires player input). Alternatively if you have 3+ amiibos, set up a 99 stock match between them and let that run through while you're away and they should each snag a new move or so.

Hope this helps.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
My luck has been varied.
Palutena in trophy rush is easy, but I usually average 2 Custom equipment for some reason, and a third are moves.
I don't have quick batter yet so crazy orders has been difficult to get moves. I'll get to 15 amd then something silly will happen and I'll die. I guess next time I try roulette classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom