• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice DI/SDI by yourself?

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
What's the best way to practice DI/SDI without having a partner? I practice tech skill/general things when I'm alone, and practice on computers to get a feel for using them in-game, however DI/SDI seems more complicated. The only DI I tend to do reactionary is when I get grabbed. And tips?

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
The best way would be to actively make yourself DI/SDI, notice when you are being hit, and where your control stick goes. Tap the stick away (or whichever way) to get out of multihit moves or to get a more favorable angle. It's really just starting with being concious of doing it, then it becomes second nature

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
That's something that can only come with experience, playing against others.

20XX can help you stimulate said experience, though!

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
That's something that can only come with experience, playing against others.

20XX can help you stimulate said experience, though!
I would, but I don't have a working GC to get Melee's 20XX hack pack lol. Unless PM has one of those and I'm missing something, lmao

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
The best way would be to actively make yourself DI/SDI, notice when you are being hit, and where your control stick goes. Tap the stick away (or whichever way) to get out of multihit moves or to get a more favorable angle. It's really just starting with being concious of doing it, then it becomes second nature
Thanks for the tips!

Bazkip

Smash Master
I would, but I don't have a working GC to get Melee's 20XX hack pack lol. Unless PM has one of those and I'm missing something, lmao
You play 20XX hack pack on a Wii.

20XX TE is the one that works on a GameCube, but that's not officially out yet (in beta currently) and there will still be the option of USB loading an ISO on a Wii.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
As Bazkip pointed out, 20XX is an option for Wii users (I don't have a GC either hehe). If you've already hacked your Wii to get homebrew, you should look up how to USB load via Homebrew and get more out of it! If you don't wanna hack...I guess as long as you obtain a Melee disc, you should be able to play 20XX:TE via a GC memory card once it releases

Last edited:

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
As Bazkip pointed out, 20XX is an option for Wii users (I don't have a GC either hehe). If you've already hacked your Wii to get homebrew, you should look up how to USB load via Homebrew and get more out of it! If you don't wanna hack...I guess as long as you obtain a Melee disc, you should be able to play 20XX:TE via a GC memory card once it releases
Oh I don't mind the hacking lol. But, is what you're referring to only for Melee? Cause atm, all I play in PM hahah. I tried looking up something 20XX-esque for PM but didn't get too many results, so if there's something like it, it'd be gr888 to know. Lol

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Oh I don't mind the hacking lol. But, is what you're referring to only for Melee? Cause atm, all I play in PM hahah. I tried looking up something 20XX-esque for PM but didn't get too many results, so if there's something like it, it'd be gr888 to know. Lol
First and foremost, try to avoid double posting, I saw you did this earlier in this particular thread. It's not a big deal, but easy way to get flagged. Just fair warning.
-
Secondly, I believe 20xx is only for Melee, so I'm not quite sure why people are using this for reference, even if it is a substantial tool for practicing technical skills; even though this is PM not Melee. I'm afraid your best bet may literally be to fight bots and let them get you to high enough percents and get hit off stage to practice DI. As for SDI it might be best to apply the same idea except to moves with multiple hits. My advice would be try fighting Ness since A LOT of his moves are multi-hit.
Good luck!

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
If you have two controllers, you can practice applying DI to charged smash attacks. It's easy enough to perform one on a controller with one hand while holding a direction on your other controller.

Even if this is a very limiting case of DI, it will help you get a feel for how it's supposed to work. Regarding combo DI and SDI, those are definitely things you need a partner for.

DarkRijin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkRijin
If you have two controllers, you can practice applying DI to charged smash attacks. It's easy enough to perform one on a controller with one hand while holding a direction on your other controller.

Even if this is a very limiting case of DI, it will help you get a feel for how it's supposed to work. Regarding combo DI and SDI, those are definitely things you need a partner for.
i had a very similar suggestion to this, while its not something that I do myself since I've never tried it yet, I read it online somewhere...i think a quote of Leffen?

you take a second, opponent, controller and do a smash attack at yourself, right before its released (or going to hit you), pause the game, switch to your character controller and hold the DI direction you want to do, then unpause the game and you'll DI the hit...

Ness_STFU

Smash Apprentice
For SDI
---------------

I might get flamed for this, but whatever. Here's what I do, and I have a very good SDI compared to most anyone I know.

- 99 lives, infinity time, Final Destination (don't ever mess with damage ratio- it creates bad habits and unrealistic scenarios)
- 2 Level 9 Lucas (nair/dair), Ivysaur(nair/fair) or Link (jab/usmash) on a team, team attack off (not 3 computers, that's zaniness. 1 computer too infrequent opportunity to practice)
- Don't attack. Just get hit and practice spamming control stick and c-stick in the same direction, different directions, try rotating as you expect the hit, hold c-stick for ASDI but slam control stick for SDI and vice versa, etc.

Do that for a while until you get the timing. An hour a day for 3 days or something. Then switch to...

- 99 lives, infinity time, any stage
- Level 9 computer (I know, I know, but level 3s just aren't fast or smart enough)
- Fight the actual enemy, practicing as you go. Run drills- Lucas, Ivy, Link.

Hot Tips: People have three issues with SDI. Number 1- they don't smash the stick. They hold it, as if it were DI. You gotta smash, bruh. Number 2- If you're at low or medium percentage, you're SDI and anti-combo DIing, not survival DIing. Learn when it's time to swtich. Number 3- The timing is PRECISE. You have to hit smash the stick as you're getting hit, not before, not after. You have a bit of a window, but it's frames. Jam the stick as you get hit. Don't try to be a hero and get 3x or 4x SDI inputs on a 3-frame hitstun window. You ain't a robot, and even M2K can't do that. Get one, be done. Get ready for the next one.

For DI (survival)
---------------

- KNOW HOW DI WORKS. Perpendicular angles, partial DI.
- Play a lot of people and slowly memorize the default direction (angle) moves hit you in. Every time you get hit say, "What direction was perpendicular? Oh, I should have been holding 45 degrees for that ~170 degree, left facing fsmash I just took in the middle of the stage...

I gotta poop otherwise I'd write more but this is tl;dr anyway.

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
For SDI
---------------

I might get flamed for this, but whatever. Here's what I do, and I have a very good SDI compared to most anyone I know.

- 99 lives, infinity time, Final Destination (don't ever mess with damage ratio- it creates bad habits and unrealistic scenarios)
- 2 Level 9 Lucas (nair/dair), Ivysaur(nair/fair) or Link (jab/usmash) on a team, team attack off (not 3 computers, that's zaniness. 1 computer too infrequent opportunity to practice)
- Don't attack. Just get hit and practice spamming control stick and c-stick in the same direction, different directions, try rotating as you expect the hit, hold c-stick for ASDI but slam control stick for SDI and vice versa, etc.

Do that for a while until you get the timing. An hour a day for 3 days or something. Then switch to...

- 99 lives, infinity time, any stage
- Level 9 computer (I know, I know, but level 3s just aren't fast or smart enough)
- Fight the actual enemy, practicing as you go. Run drills- Lucas, Ivy, Link.

Hot Tips: People have three issues with SDI. Number 1- they don't smash the stick. They hold it, as if it were DI. You gotta smash, bruh. Number 2- If you're at low or medium percentage, you're SDI and anti-combo DIing, not survival DIing. Learn when it's time to swtich. Number 3- The timing is PRECISE. You have to hit smash the stick as you're getting hit, not before, not after. You have a bit of a window, but it's frames. Jam the stick as you get hit. Don't try to be a hero and get 3x or 4x SDI inputs on a 3-frame hitstun window. You ain't a robot, and even M2K can't do that. Get one, be done. Get ready for the next one.

For DI (survival)
---------------

- KNOW HOW DI WORKS. Perpendicular angles, partial DI.
- Play a lot of people and slowly memorize the default direction (angle) moves hit you in. Every time you get hit say, "What direction was perpendicular? Oh, I should have been holding 45 degrees for that ~170 degree, left facing fsmash I just took in the middle of the stage...

I gotta poop otherwise I'd write more but this is tl;dr anyway.
Yooo, now THIS is some advice! I highly appreciate this, man. Thanks for putting in the time to write this up for me!
Also, that "you gotta smash, bruh" part, if that wasn't a pun then I'm disappointed.
If it was, then I applaud you.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You don't have to smash the control stick to smash DI. You can just rotate it. Holding will only get you ASDI+DI, but you can get both of those+SDI by just rolling the stick. Smashing is more likely to get you empty frames that will make you miss normal DI+ASDI if they occur on the frames in between smashes, which will be most of the frames

Top Bottom