• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice advanced techniques?

Druncle_Titus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sean.Dunn17
I'm starting to get back into melee for the first time since i got brawl. I was very young when I first played and didn't know about all of these advanced techniques. I know about wavedashing, L-canceling, crouch-canceling, and ledge-hogging, but are there any others I should know? What would be the best way to practice for the most optimal results?

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
The other techniques are shield dropping, wave landing, wall and ledge teching shffling, meteor cancelling, wall jump, and more. There are some more that could exist that could be exclusive to your character like fox/falco have multishine and samus has super wavedash. There are also more movement options like dance dancing fox trotting and more. What I found useful was going to pewpewu's channel. He's a top Marth player if you didn't know. A good way to practice is to first go into training mode and trying to do the technique. Something that i found useful was putting the game on 1/4 , 1/2, and increasing it to 2/3 until i could do it at regular speed (however this is only for the ones that require you to do something in very specific timing or very quickly). After you can do it in practice mode, go to vs and play a lv 1 com and 99 stocks with infinite time. Then try to learn how to incorporate it into your gameplay and practice against an actual opponent.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Jump cancel grabbing is easy but very very important as well.

What I find works best for me when learning techniques is to understand why I'm failing them. That way I don't get frustrated thinking "Why can't I do this" but instead I have a way to focus and do better.

Top Bottom