• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to instant up air?

phrigid

Smash Rookie
Short hop with Y/X, angle analog stick slightly up and tap A. Pretty sure s2j uses this method too

phrigid

Smash Rookie
But then you cant Imput a direction when you jump.
you mean like doing a instant up-air while youre running? If thats what you mean it still works, if your analog stick is going left or right for running, you dont have to angle it that much higher for A to read as an up-air when you jump. You can get the directional input as long as you do everything fast enough. Not saying its better than claw grip, but I know that there's a lot of players who really don't want to make the commitment to changing to claw and restarting all their muscle memory.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
But then you cant Imput a direction when you jump.
You can, you just have to wait until after you input the u-air. From a standing position, you don't have much time to drift anyway since of how quickly you come down. It'd be interesting to see how much farther Falcon can drift inputting the u-air with c-stick. I'll test this and post the results.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Hold upward on the control stick less than the amount necessary to tap jump, press a, go back to whatever direction would bring you closest to where you wish to go flying/land.

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
Claw is the answer. Don't be worried about the transition. Only took me 3 weeks to be approximately back to where i was. Just practice everyday and do it.

When you have such an easy way to improve your play, why not do it? If you dont, i dont think its a stretch to say that you're not truly interested in improving.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Claw grip makes my hand hurt, so I try not to do it. If it didn't, I would probably use it.

I've been using the jump w/ slight angle upward on control stick + A method, but I feel like I'm not 100% instant with that. The only thing to note is that it's pretty dang hard to press X/Y for jump with the thumb and hit the C-Stick up in time for a frame perfect instant UAir; It's a lot of extra stress to make your hand move that fast. Either claw or the angle upward method will work. If you're not too far along in your initial training, I suggest learning claw. It makes some other characters slightly easier.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
So I made a .gif to shed some light on this. Advance frame by frame to see things more clearly.
The animation is 1/3 real time speed.

The Blue Falcon's horizontal movement purely comes from drift (holding right after being airborne).
The
Yellow Falcon's movement purely comes from inputting right on the 3rd frame of jump squat.
The
Green Falcon's movement comes from both the input on the 3rd frame, and drifting.
"Location" displays the X,Y position of the base point of Falcon. All Falcon's start at 0,0.
"Analog Stick Position" display the X,Y position of the main analog stick that is inputted on the next frame.
To initiate a fast fall, Y position on the analog stick has to be > -0.65. To maximize possible drift the stick position on the appropriate Falcon's was (0.7375, -0.6625)

Results:

Blue Falcon's Uair hitbox can reach (1.2495, 9.6601), and ends up at (15.7165, 0)
Yellow Falcon's Uair hitbox can reach (6.2869, 9.6601), and ends up at (19.7056, 0)
Green Falcon's Uair hitbox can reach (7.5848, 9.6601), and ends up at (27.1588, 0)

As you can see, the largest influence on Falcon's horizontal movement from a stationary jump is the analog stick's position inputted on the 3rd frame of jump squat. Drift results in just a small increase in movement. This means that Falcon players can achieve great horizontal distance during Uair using :GCU: +:GCA:, given they can go from :GCR: to :GCU: in 1 frame (Later than that and the Uair is no longer instant). To perform a little more easily, you could just hold :GCR: the entire time of jump squat and then :GCCU:. This way you don't have to worry about timing the analog stick and are utilizing both thumbs. Both methods however have the 1 frame timing window, so it's not too much better.

Note: Near the end of the .gif the
Green Falcon shifts forward one frame and back the next, this is just a mistake on my part. His X,Y location is still correct though.

Last edited:

coilerr

Smash Cadet
Claw is the answer. Don't be worried about the transition. Only took me 3 weeks to be approximately back to where i was. Just practice everyday and do it.

When you have such an easy way to improve your play, why not do it? If you dont, i dont think its a stretch to say that you're not truly interested in improving.
You claw all the time or just for uairs? cause clawing sucks for the rest tbh and sh with the side of the finger is stupid imo.

Top Bottom