• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to handle Duckhunt Dog?

Odaroloc

Smash Cadet
NNID
OriginalRave
I'm getting stuck trying to approach DHD as ZZS. It's getting incredibly frustrating because of his arsenal of clay shootings and barrels. It's mostly my approach that I'm having trouble with. He's fast enough with his side B that I can't flip jump over him and counter. If I try to air dodge it, the barrel is waiting for me. And when I land, he grabs me, dash attacks, and does it again. My plasma whip won't stop his clay shooting if it's not at the tip, and if it doesn't break it, he gets a free punish. Once DHD is in the air, I finally get some damage, but he still gets the lead in the end.

If anyone has some tips or videos that show how to handle the Duckunt (intended) that would help me immensely!
Also, is anyone else having trouble with campy characters, or is it just me?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
zair and side b work woders in this MU.
don't be scared be aware of which direction his can will go when he presses B again.
I tend to just charged laser it so it reverses direction.
zair destroys his side B and his down b (not 100% sure about down b atm i forget)
Side b destroys his side b as well as knocks his can with the explosion hit box.

if you can control flip jump properly you can just go and try to spike his low recoveries with ease just make sure you don't yolo to much.
grabbing with his can up is not recommended unless it can't bounce at you.

recoveries must be decided quickly because of his can edgeguards that stage spike you.

I don't really have any tourney footage of myself vs a competent on so I can't provide anything atm.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
zair and side b work woders in this MU.
don't be scared be aware of which direction his can will go when he presses B again.
I tend to just charged laser it so it reverses direction.
zair destroys his side B and his down b (not 100% sure about down b atm i forget)
Side b destroys his side b as well as knocks his can with the explosion hit box.

if you can control flip jump properly you can just go and try to spike his low recoveries with ease just make sure you don't yolo to much.
grabbing with his can up is not recommended unless it can't bounce at you.

recoveries must be decided quickly because of his can edgeguards that stage spike you.

I don't really have any tourney footage of myself vs a competent on so I can't provide anything atm.
Would this strat work in, let's say, the Link and Toon Link matchup?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Would this strat work in, let's say, the Link and Toon Link matchup?
Yes but it's slightly more tricky because the projectile speed is Significantly faster you can destroy everything except for their bombs (well I think toons bombs can be destroyed but it might be better to just air dodge catch to jump at them and zair drop)

Down b if they arrow more then once because its end Lag is horrid especially links.

I'll post more when I get home tournament salt.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Yes but it's slightly more tricky because the projectile speed is Significantly faster you can destroy everything except for their bombs (well I think toons bombs can be destroyed but it might be better to just air dodge catch to jump at them and zair drop)

Down b if they arrow more then once because its end Lag is horrid especially links.

I'll post more when I get home tournament salt.
This actually sounds like it will work. I'll have to do some testing and see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom