• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to get faster fingers

Kevin71

Smash Rookie
just got the WiiU version and haven't played with a GC controller for about 3 years. Playing FG and I'm noticing im slow. Is this something I should fix against cpu? Practice? Online? Just wanting advice on where to start. My fingers just seem to move slower than my brain. I know I need all three and eventually live competition but would appreciate advice on where to start.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Finger dexterity is something that will come naturally. Just focus on improving your game in general and it will happen. At least that was how it was for me. If you don't care about your win rate, just go on For Glory over and over. Try to find opponents that prove to be a challenge and with as little lag as possible. Finding a sparring partner can help too. The best way to improve at anything is to face a challenge. Playing a slow, weak opponent won't help you improve in any aspect unless you see your flaws in them and strive to correct them. But that is not in the realm of finger dexterity.

Find opponents that prove a challenge either here in the forums or in For Glory and you will find yourself getting progressively better. In all fields.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Type coherent sentences really, really fast on your keyboard.

D

Deleted member 269706

Well, in an attempt to get this train back on the rails...The most obvious thing to do is practice. A ton of Smash is just muscle memory which develops and grows as time goes on. Another thing you can do is just spend a few hours in training mode (not all at once of course) and practice certain techniques (fox trotting, dash dancing, perfect pivoting, etc.). Only other thing that I can think of is studying other people's play, and doing your best to emulate the techniques that they're using.

TheRetroBitGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRetroBitGamer
I would think going into training mode and practicing perfect pivots helps with thumb dexterity which is equally as important as finger dexterity. If you can do flawlessly pivot on the spot, you've got dexterity down. For me, it just came naturally but it probably helps that I'm a drummer and I've been familiar with rapid finger movements since middle school.

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
If you're using a GC, play Gamecube games. Playing games with different mappings will lead you to react to specific inputs more quickly. Just grinding it out on Sm4sh will just lead to burnout.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
It should happen over time, a lot more practice will get you up to it.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
When I'm cold I have fast fingers, no wonder why December and January were my best FG months lol

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
What LordCQ said. Don't expect to see finger speed improvements during winter. This winter, I had my hands the warmest of any winter in my life, and even still I had quite a few days where I felt my fingers weren't uh... at body temperature? Let's put it like that. Anyway, playing with such fingers clearly resulted in worse performance and slower presses for me.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
Play a character that requires faster fingers then an average player, such as Sheik. That's what I do at least in Sm4sh.

Top Bottom