• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to deal with constant rolling as a heavy character?

lukifer

Smash Apprentice
Any tips for dealing with "obsessive" rollers as a slow/heavy character? When I say constant I really mean constant - like someone who will literally shield roll from one side of the stage to the other. Most heavy characters have at least one move that covers a lot of ground, such as Ganon's Flame Choke, DK's down-B, Bowser's Fortress, etc., but these are all punishable to varying degrees when whiffed.

Is it better to just start SHFFling nairs/fairs and hope one of them hits? I suppose that going in for a dash grab (or perhaps JC-grab) is also a decent option but you can still get punished if you miss.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Any tips for dealing with "obsessive" rollers as a slow/heavy character? When I say constant I really mean constant - like someone who will literally shield roll from one side of the stage to the other. Most heavy characters have at least one move that covers a lot of ground, such as Ganon's Flame Choke, DK's down-B, Bowser's Fortress, etc., but these are all punishable to varying degrees when whiffed.

Is it better to just start SHFFling nairs/fairs and hope one of them hits? I suppose that going in for a dash grab (or perhaps JC-grab) is also a decent option but you can still get punished if you miss.
What specific character are you using? The easiest way to punish rolls is to either wait it out and grab them or throw out an attack with a long-lasting hitbox or very large range (Bowser's and Charizard's DSmash for example).

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Yeah all I do is wait and grab. Try to bait them into rolling one direction, then walk the other. That's kind of a common thing I do to pressure someone who is shielding a lot, walk around. They don't know what to do, they just panic and start rolling and dodging. Gitcha.

Buuut I guess this doesn't help when your character doesn't have a fast walk. Same principle applies though. As others have said, the key is just to wait. I wouldn't run and camp the ledge though, they're rolling which means they're clearly running from you meaning you have the advantage. Why give it up?

If you're playing Bowser, flame cancels might help you as well.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
All the advice so far is pretty spot on. I had a friend who would like to think that he was being tricky by rolling a lot because it worked on his brother, then I just waited him out or threw out a couple of long lasting hitboxes once in a while and he has since stopped with that "Strategy".

lukifer

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the responses. I'll give the waiting game a shot. Gets kind of annoying when matches end up going for 5min+ because of stupid defensive play, but hopefully they'll stop rolling so much once they realize it's not working. ;)

Kati

Smash Lord
Yeah, while it will be annoying for you for the time being, it will become much more annoying for them once you start beating them every time by playing smarter (than them).

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
If you know where he's going to roll, I'm assuming he's noobish so probably straight backwards about 80% of the time, just keep running and follow the roll. From there it's way too easy to grab him, shine if you're falco, back air is usually a great option for a lot of characters, etc. Just do something to either set him up for a lot of damage or straight up put him in danger of dying. Dodge rolling is one of the biggest mistakes someone can make in this game lol

Arcalyth

GLS | root
If they roll when you move toward them, then you should move toward them, STOP, wait for them to roll, then punish it. Because they WILL roll. :)

Top Bottom