• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to beat Rob as Lucas? Need Tips.

K3H

Smash Cadet
If you still wanted to know, here is how you do it.

Reflect everything, or absorb it. Don't shield the gyro every time because it disappears, and then he can use another one immediately. Instead, spot dodge it, and then Fsmash it to make it yours, or reflect it (although this requires really good reaction time). If you Fsmash it on the ground it becomes a stage hazard in a sense, that it now yours. So it's basically if you had spawned the gyro yourself.

Also, R.O.B is one big hit box, which means Lucas can have a field day with him. The slightest opening on R.O.B's part should let you combo him to hell and back. you can easily get ~35% strings on him every time you get in.

Zair and PK Fire are pretty important too, since running up to him and just shielding doesn't always work. And since you have two decent spacing tools, why not use them? R.O.B will DEFINITELY use his.

Dair works well off stage, since R.O.B is so big. It's possible to just keep Dairing him and not letting him get back on stage. He can challenge you with Uair, but you can bait it out and stall with PSI magnet.

It's also pretty easy for Dthrow to Uair to connect since he's so big.

However, it's not a walk in the park: R.O.B is a character who can harass Lucas off stage (assuming you didn't tether) because of his good recovery. So try and tether if you can. He also out ranges Lucas up close, so be aware of that. Although he does get combo'd (?) easily, his weight means you'll have to put in a little extra work to get the kill.

beany

Smash Rookie
ROB cant necessarily Nair your shield for fun like he can other characters (given the ROB spaces his Nairs), since you have a long grab. If they start rolling back after Nair (expecting a grab) you can punish with dash attack or the incredibly safe SH Zair

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
From my experiences, ROB gets eaten alive by nair. His laser is a non-issue, since you can absorb it to heal some decent damage. The gyro can pose a problem on-stage because of how good it can control space, but Lucas's recovery is so good that it really shouldn't be a problem off-stage. Use your magnet to quickly shift your momentum when you're above ROB to avoid getting hit by up air. Exploit his recovery. Remember he always has to attack out of his up b first before he can air dodge.

skeletonboxers

Smash Cadet
NNID
tabster123
3DS FC
4983-5230-3260
All of the previous advice mentioned above is definitely how I play this matchup myself, so follow them.
Get practice in catching items from the ground or air, because catching rob's gyro can give you some combo potential. It gets ROB in the air to followup with strings.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I suggest you grab the top then camp the living daylights out of him with PK Fire. But be smart about it, mind game on the timing, because Rob's will always use their spinning reflector attack if you are holding the gyro. So you can also wait for that and then punish accordingly.

Unless they are super familiar with the matchup, I also suggest NOT using the magnet until you can predict WHEN Rob will fire a fully charged Laser beam at you, THEN use it. That 27% could win you the match and is a HUGE mental victory over Rob. You know he always tries to use it in the same situations. I find Rob's to be predictable when they use it. (They usually use it in order to trick you into air dodging to put you in a bad spot after)

Last edited:
Top Bottom