• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best throw k.o. potential

fudgecenter

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! I'm new to this, the boards and competitive smash but I loved all the other games as a filthy casual lol So if Im asking a super noob question that's why....anyway I was wondering what character has the overall best k.o potential from a throw in ssb4? Like if a dummy was set to the same percentage who's throws would k.o at the lower percentages...sorry if it's been asked or said before.

The reason I'm asking instead of testing myself is because i dont own the gave....yet, im just doing the research for when I get it

Raijinken

Smash Master
Ness and Toon Link have the two best, if I recall, as far as back-throws go.

Palutena, ROB, DK, and Villager also have good ones.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Ness has the best backthrow in the game, as is tradition. The most feared in the series if I am correct.

Only at higher percentages though.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
It easily goes to Ness I'd say. Sonic and Toon Link have decent ones as well, and I also hope that one of Mewtwo's throws end up being epic.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
sonic's backthrow is not really that amazing, the knockback kills reliably just when near the edge, other wise it's only above avarage in terms of kb, as most bakthrows in this game can kill. the thing is sonic moves back a lil which makes it easier to ko as he changes position

but as for throws that really stand out, ness is the winner

charizard dthrow also nice, shulk dthrow with buster, wario fthrow too

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
Like everyone else has said, ness probably has the throws with the strongest kill potential. I also feel like ganon's backthrow has some pretty decent kill power on certain stages with lower side blast zones.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
Ness has a ridiculously strong back throw. Sonic and Toon Link's are up there as well.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
Ness, Sonic, Toon Link (B-Throw), and R.O.B (U-Throw) all have good kill throws, in my experience.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
As others have already said, if you're at high percentages, avoid being grabbed by Ness at all costs.
:4ness:

Blue Pikmin have good side throws as well, though White Pikmin have the best pummel damage.
Olimar's grab game in general is pretty good.
:4olimar:

fudgecenter

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys! I appreciate it...im asking because I'm good at actually getting a throw but combos are another story lol

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Blue Pikmin have good side throws as well, though White Pikmin have the best pummel damage.
Olimar's grab game in general is pretty good.
:4olimar:
Not really. Most of Olimar's throws kill at around 130%, and even then it's mostly determined on whether or not you grabbed with a blue Pikmin.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Yes, thank you for repeating what I said in a negative manner.
Thank you for having an unnecessary attitude and ignoring part of what I said just to show off said attitude. What you said was Olimar has good grab KO potential, but that's simply not true, as what I said was that he has not close to good KO potential, even with his best throw Pikmin. His throws require much higher percentages to KO than, say, Ness. He has a wonderful grab game, yes, but his grab KO potential...well, if there was a tip for his grab KO potential, it'd most likely read "You know, you'd be better off using a front or down smash".

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Thank you for having an unnecessary attitude and ignoring part of what I said just to show off said attitude. What you said was Olimar has good grab KO potential, but that's simply not true, as what I said was that he has not close to good KO potential, even with his best throw Pikmin. His throws require much higher percentages to KO than, say, Ness. He has a wonderful grab game, yes, but his grab KO potential...well, if there was a tip for his grab KO potential, it'd most likely read "You know, you'd be better off using a front or down smash".
You're the one with the attitude here. Again, what I said was: Blue Pikmin = good throws, and as you repeated, his grab game is good, not his KO potential, which was something I simply mentioned in passing along with the mention of Blue Pikmin.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
You're the one with the attitude here. Again, what I said was: Blue Pikmin = good throws, and as you repeated, his grab game is good, not his KO potential, which was something I simply mentioned in passing along with the mention of Blue Pikmin.
The subject of this thread is grab KO potential. Olimar doesn't have grab KO potential. It's as simple as that. You're welcome to keep trying and contradicting me about what I say, but it doesn't make my point any less true.

elmuchogrumpy

Smash Rookie
I'd say Ness' back throw has the highest kill potential as long as it isn't stale. A fresh back-throw can kill very early.

EclipseSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHeroOfHylia
3DS FC
5043-3010-8901
Rage makes Ness' back-throw even more ridiculous. I really think it needs a nerf.

Quick edit; I meant that the back-throw needed a nerf, but honestly I wouldn't mind if Rage got a nerf either...

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Noteworthy kill throws that come to mind. Horizontal throws are from the edge of FD, vertical throws are anywhere on FD. KO percents are against Mario without rage.

Ness bthrow: 95%
Toon Link bthrow: 120%
Charizard dthrow: 120%
Villager bthrow: 120%
DK bthrow: 135%
Sonic bthrow: 140%
Mega Man bthrow: 140%
R.O.B. uthrow: 145%

Ness really stands out, though R.O.B. catches up nicely on platform/low ceiling stages.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Olimarr's Up Throw is more or less equally as strong as Ness' back throw when performed with a blue pikmin. It was the same way in brawl.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I may be alone in this one, but Charizard's Down Throw has been pretty useful to me...

... When I'm right next to the edge of the platform and the opponent has 100%+ damage, that is. The same goes with Rosalina's Back Throw.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The general rule of throws is that magic/psychic characters (Ness, Mewtwo, Rosalina, Zelda, Palutena, for example) have the furthest launching throws on average, and sword wielding characters have the weakest. This has been a series wide tradition and I believe it was even mentioned on the Brawl Dojo.

There are of course exceptions, most iconic being Mario's B-Throw in 64 and Melee, and to a lesser extent in this game.

I know Rosalina's B-Throw can KO lighter characters easily enough, as I have done it quite often.

Top Bottom