• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Style of Approach

coolbananas

Smash Cadet
Teh Valley of Justified Bemusement, Norway
I am an avid monkey player (i main DK and Diddy) but I was just wondering, what is the best way to approach you opponent? I have a Pit-playing arrow spam friend, who I can beat, but its almost always a near miss. I also want to know how to approach a defensive Ike. Hell, whats the best way to approach anyone with DK?

Revven

FrankerZ
I use DK a lot and I have some pretty nice options to approach with.

You absolutely MUST use the Ftilt for approaching a spammy player. It'll eat any projectile alive provided it's timed right. DK, as I've noticed, is an anti-camper and anti-spammer because of his range with his Ftilt. Another good approach is his back air as long as you short hop it.

A good thing to do against a very defensive opponent is to approach them with a down grab into ftilt. This only works best at lower percents though (it does work at higher percents, but, you actually have to chase after them a little a ways). Try it, it works quite well a lot of the time (but, can be very predictable if you do it too much).

Am I forgetting anything else? =\

Bernal

Smash Rookie
You should approach with well spaced short-hopped double bairs. If spaced correctly, your opponent shouldn't be able to sheild grab you.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
yeah, double bair, ftilt, downb if he likes to roll, and if you're willing to go without it during a fight, the super armor on a shorthopped bpunch usually breaks there defense (there tiny shield will scare them away from shield too)

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Ftilt approach doesn't always work well vs Pit. His arrows are too fast, and he can hold them and if you whiff Ftilt he gets arrow for free. IMO it's better to mix up roll, shield and jump to approach through arrows.

Also, Ftilt doesn't cancel out all projectiles. Ice block and Din's fire eat through it.

Linguini

Smash Master
Double bairs are mad good for approaching, they cut through most projectiles and cannot be shield grabbed if your spacing correctly. Always keep a DK punch charged up because getting at mid range and jumping into projectiles while hitting that punch can wreck due to its SA.
Ftlits and dtilts are crucial approach methods in any matchup and serve as a spacing/measuring tool for keeping rushdown opponents out of your comfort zone.
DK is a big *** monkey with hella range, so take advantage of it.

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
I usually just rush in with short-hop a or down b (down b because they like to mid-range space). I always remember to charge my DK punch at times as I approach, as this can be used for kills later during the match. Dash attack is good if your opponent is attacking, or else, be prepared to be shield grabbed and be punished. Ground up b is you want some form of surprise, or if they air-rush in or ground rush-in. Throw in a down/forward smash to surprise and up smash/short hop up air if they're in air above you or if they're above on platform. Tilts (preferably down tilt) if they like to close-range; and forward b for trapping and punishing with DK PUNCH! Also, I cannot stress how important it is to RAR back air at times. Abuse his bair in the air if you need to.

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
I approach with a shield grab, then d-throw. After that i tend to mix it up a bit. DKcopter when they roll to much or down b. And when they're approaching the edge, D-smash. Sends them flying in a 45 degree angle if done right. Also, u-tilits are always nice to get a nice damage at low %.

Top Bottom