• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Stages for Ness out of this list

Bubztealuver101

Smash Rookie
NNID
The.ultimate101
Hi there!

I have a tournament coming up (on Saturday) and as a Ness main and pretty new in the competitive play for Smash 4...Which stages would be the best for Ness to fight on out of the list below, and why?

Neutrals:
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination

Counter-picks:
Battleship Halberd
Kongo Jungle
Skyloft
Delfino
Pilot Wings
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege

Would totally appreciate the help from the Ness community hehe ^^! Thanks!

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
PKT2 slides along surfaces, guiding you to the ledge, and even if you whiff it and thud into the wall, Ness can perform a second PKT2 if you input up B immediately during impact and attempt to try again.
Stages that are essentially ledges without walls won't give Ness this safety net.

This means that stages like Delfino will need much more precise aim to grab the ledge, but stages like Duck Hunt and Onett (Omega) are great for Ness.
Of the stages listed, Kongo Jungle and Castle Siege will be highly favorable for Ness' recovery.

Assuming these are all final destination-ified, the recovery favorability is all that will really matter. If for some reason they're opening it up to Standard Kongo Jungle, it'll be even better for Ness because you can recover from below.

Noa.

Smash Master
If you're playing against another character that doesn't have vertical KO options, take them to halberd and town and city. Those two stages have significantly lower ceilings, so you can get kills with uair more easily.

It really comes down to personal preference when talking about which stages to counter pick. I like castle siege a lot but dislike Kongo 64. Play on all the stages and pick the ones you think are best.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I would also like to know the best stages on WiiU since I don't own one but plan to compete in tournaments. :D

On 3ds, it seems that Arena Ferox is among the best choices because you can zone using pk fire on the destructible statues, and you can weave PK Thunder through the obstacles.

Yoshi's Island was among the worst, because the stage is wonky shaped and blocks off PK Fire, like if you want to edgeguard with it. It also has Shy Guys that can negate your PK Thunder from time to time.

Maybe these concepts can be applied to the WiiU version.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Castle Siege is probably Ness's best stage in the game (walkoffs are great for throws, PKF is the only projectile helped by the statues). I also like Halberd and KJ64 for vertical kill options.

Bubztealuver101

Smash Rookie
NNID
The.ultimate101
Thanks for the response guys :), I dunno why...but when I was in doubles...my partner was saying that pilot wings was a good stage for Ness...I don't think so because the change in platform and stuff. Discuss? lol

Noa.

Smash Master
Pilot wings should be banned cause it's a degenerative stage that leads to excessive camping.

But in any case, it's a stage that promotes a lot of aerial play I feel. In that way it's good for ness. But pk fire is very inconsistent on this stage and difficult to use. Depending on the matchup this may be ok or may remove one of our greatest tools.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Pilotwings is one of the most difficult stages for Ness to recover on. Under pressure, I could forsee a lot of accidents. Tiny platform-style ledges are risky for Ness, especially since the new ledge mechanics changes since Brawl. (There's less ledge grab range than before.)

I love the stage, aesthetically, but it doesn't love Ness. Because Ness is so vulnerable during PKT, changing stages are extra risky for him. (If you're playing Ness right, you know PKT is his greatest strength and without it, Ness is handicapped.) Any stage where Ness can suddenly have the ground yanked out from under him isn't going to be very ideal for him. Castle Siege gets a pass since you can keep in mind the middle is always safe.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Pilotwings is Ness's best stage in the game.

Camp with PKT on both planes, use PKF when facing downhill, don't be afraid to circle camp the yellow plane. You should never get hit.

i lost a tourney set bc i ****ed up on PW but in my opinion it's undoubtedly our best stage.

Noa.

Smash Master
I disagree and do not think that Pilotwings is Ness's best stage. The tilting of the stage means that often times pk fire runs into the stage or goes too high and flys over the opponent's head. Tilting stages are also harder to recover on and Ness's recovery is already pretty difficult to aim.

Pilotwings is a stage that should be banned any how. I don't see many tournaments keeping it legal.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
All it takes is for a plane change while PKT is out and you go into freefall. Omega Pilotwings will be the only legal stage, but it will still have bad ledges.

Top Bottom