• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Stage Picks for Ryu?

Robi-Wan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Freed0m8
Which stages should I be choosing as a Ryu main? I suppose stages with low ceilings would be a good idea. I notice Hooded likes Battlefield because of his lovely FADC shenanigans. Also Shoryukens are safer.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Battlefield for platforms, Town and City for low ceiling shoryuken kills. From my experience, avoid Lylat and Duck Hunt.

Robi-Wan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Freed0m8
Thanks adamwd! Lylat tilts and that can spell trouble for hadokens but it messes with the opponents projectiles too (depending on the opponent). Duck Hunt seems to have a high ceiling as far as I can tell which is a bummer for us Ryu mains. Is there a list on which stages have a low ceiling? That could be useful. Omega stages vary in this regard as well, so I imagine the list is extensive.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Thanks adamwd! Lylat tilts and that can spell trouble for hadokens but it messes with the opponents projectiles too (depending on the opponent). Duck Hunt seems to have a high ceiling as far as I can tell which is a bummer for us Ryu mains. Is there a list on which stages have a low ceiling? That could be useful. Omega stages vary in this regard as well, so I imagine the list is extensive.

There's some good info regarding stage ceilings in this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ceiling-height-research-thread.384187/

Another downside to Lylat for Ryu is if you get knocked off stage when Lylat tilts the opposite direction, the edge gets tilted up just high enough that shoryuken wont recover to the stage. It's just another thing that you have to be constantly aware of. Tatsu is also not as good in general on Lylat imo.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Battlefield for platforms, Town and City for low ceiling shoryuken kills. From my experience, avoid Lylat and Duck Hunt.
Aww man, I like Duck Hunt. Gues I'll use another character to play on there then.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
l
Aww man, I like Duck Hunt. Gues I'll use another character to play on there then.
I mean I don't think it is some completely crippling stage for Ryu, its just that the wide openness of the stage makes it harder to close the gap and apply pressure. The only legal stage I think you should always avoid as Ryu is Lylat.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
The 'Gamer' warioware stage maybe? I've had lots of luck whenever I play with Ryu on the Gamer stage.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
There's some good info regarding stage ceilings in this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ceiling-height-research-thread.384187/

Another downside to Lylat for Ryu is if you get knocked off stage when Lylat tilts the opposite direction, the edge gets tilted up just high enough that shoryuken wont recover to the stage. It's just another thing that you have to be constantly aware of. Tatsu is also not as good in general on Lylat imo.
l

I mean I don't think it is some completely crippling stage for Ryu, its just that the wide openness of the stage makes it harder to close the gap and apply pressure. The only legal stage I think you should always avoid as Ryu is Lylat.

I have to completely disagree with you both that Lylat is a bad stage for Ryu in any sense of the word. A ton of characters and players dislike Lylat so there really isn't a reason to ban it. Every character has problems recovering on Lylat unless your name is :4pikachu: and Tatsumaki is an extremely unsafe option unless you are off-screen and know that your opponent can't get to you. Saying that Tatsumaki is not as good in general is kind-of pointless because it isn't a good option to recover anyway. Recovery needs to be a constant mix-up between FA, using your jumping and SRK.

I completely disagree that the only legal stage we should avoid is Lylat. The stage we should be avoiding is Dreamland. Dreamland is a horrible stage for us. The ceiling is the same as FD, SV, Lylat and Duck Hunt so that doesn't really make a difference in how early TSRK kills. The lower platforms are annoying to deal with because you can't FH onto them, making it harder to pressure the platforms like we can do so well on Battlefield. Furthermore, Wispy hurts our combo game much more than other characters because it heavily affects our UpTilt chains (especially out of D-Air) which is quite annoying. Lastly, we can SD just as much on Dreamland as we do on Lylat so that's not really a factor. In order, this is what I'd put our best-to-worst stages on (out of the legal ones).

1. Battlefield
2. Town & City
3. Smashville
4. Final Destination (specifically the Suzaku Castle Omega because of the forgiving lip)
5. Duck Hunt
6. Lylat Cruise
7. Dreamland

In saying this, I think that only Dreamland is a bad stage for us. We can still combo pretty easily on Duck Hunt and the ceiling isn't high at all (same as SV, FD, Lylat, DL) but the only problem is characters that like to camp do well.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
I have to completely disagree with you both that Lylat is a bad stage for Ryu in any sense of the word. A ton of characters and players dislike Lylat so there really isn't a reason to ban it. Every character has problems recovering on Lylat unless your name is :4pikachu: and Tatsumaki is an extremely unsafe option unless you are off-screen and know that your opponent can't get to you. Saying that Tatsumaki is not as good in general is kind-of pointless because it isn't a good option to recover anyway. Recovery needs to be a constant mix-up between FA, using your jumping and SRK.

I completely disagree that the only legal stage we should avoid is Lylat. The stage we should be avoiding is Dreamland. Dreamland is a horrible stage for us. The ceiling is the same as FD, SV, Lylat and Duck Hunt so that doesn't really make a difference in how early TSRK kills. The lower platforms are annoying to deal with because you can't FH onto them, making it harder to pressure the platforms like we can do so well on Battlefield. Furthermore, Wispy hurts our combo game much more than other characters because it heavily affects our UpTilt chains (especially out of D-Air) which is quite annoying. Lastly, we can SD just as much on Dreamland as we do on Lylat so that's not really a factor. In order, this is what I'd put our best-to-worst stages on (out of the legal ones).

1. Battlefield
2. Town & City
3. Smashville
4. Final Destination (specifically the Suzaku Castle Omega because of the forgiving lip)
5. Duck Hunt
6. Lylat Cruise
7. Dreamland

In saying this, I think that only Dreamland is a bad stage for us. We can still combo pretty easily on Duck Hunt and the ceiling isn't high at all (same as SV, FD, Lylat, DL) but the only problem is characters that like to camp do well.

All good points. I was referring to using tatsu for recovery not as a combat option. Rising tatsu is a good recovery option if you don't overuse it and it simply doesn't work as well on Lylat.

I agree though, I don't like Dreamland either for Ryu but it at least resembles a legitimate stage. Lylat is simply an atrocity that I want no part of. More of a personal thing I guess. It just makes me feel like I'm fighting the game rather than the other player.

Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
All good points. I was referring to using tatsu for recovery not as a combat option. Rising tatsu is a good recovery option if you don't overuse it and it simply doesn't work as well on Lylat.

I agree though, I don't like Dreamland either for Ryu but it at least resembles a legitimate stage. Lylat is simply an atrocity that I want no part of. More of a personal thing I guess. It just makes me feel like I'm fighting the game rather than the other player.
That is completely fair not to like Lylat Cruise as a stage. A lot of people dislike it, hence why I've worked on it and trained on it so when someone tries to counterpick it, I feel fine. Dreamland is a stage I ALWAYS ban because characters like :4pikachu:, :rosalina: and :4zss: have an absolute field day on that stage and it's just not worth it in my opinion. Whereas a lot of characters like Dreamland, who actually likes Lylat? The only character that really likes Lylat Cruise is :4pikachu:.

I'd honestly suggest you do a few training sessions only on Lylat Cruise to get used to the stage. We can pressure the platforms really well and we can kill a little earlier if the stage is tilting up, which is pretty cool. The stage is truly fine for us, Dreamland is the real problem. I used to hate Lylat just as much as anybody but I specifically decided to change that. That is something I just can't do on Dreamland because it has legitimate reasons as to why it is bad for :4ryu:, whereas Lylat doesn't. Just my 2 cents.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
That is completely fair not to like Lylat Cruise as a stage. A lot of people dislike it, hence why I've worked on it and trained on it so when someone tries to counterpick it, I feel fine. Dreamland is a stage I ALWAYS ban because characters like :4pikachu:, :rosalina: and :4zss: have an absolute field day on that stage and it's just not worth it in my opinion. Whereas a lot of characters like Dreamland, who actually likes Lylat? The only character that really likes Lylat Cruise is :4pikachu:.

I'd honestly suggest you do a few training sessions only on Lylat Cruise to get used to the stage. We can pressure the platforms really well and we can kill a little earlier if the stage is tilting up, which is pretty cool. The stage is truly fine for us, Dreamland is the real problem. I used to hate Lylat just as much as anybody but I specifically decided to change that. That is something I just can't do on Dreamland because it has legitimate reasons as to why it is bad for :4ryu:, whereas Lylat doesn't. Just my 2 cents.
I see what you're saying from a strategic standpoint. Why waste your ban on a stage most people won't pick..

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
EXACTLY. I suggest you try and work on that stage as much as possible to get better at it. Then those people who think "he must hate this stage lol i'm gonna pick it" will cry when they realise Ryu is actually decent on the stage and you yourself are good at it.

Just a thought. That's what I did.

Appe3

Smash Cadet
I think duck hunt is not the worst stage there is, TSRK kills only about 5-10% later and bair is very scary because of the horizontal blastzones being small, also SRK recovers from pretty much the bottom of the stage so you can mix it up

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I think Lylat, while it has its obvious weaknesses, can be good against characters less mobile than Ryu. FADC really allows us to jet across the stage and control the platforms. The layout really allows for tricky movement almost constantly and we have strong up tilt which pokes through all three platforms. Since the ledges were fixed it's not like recovering low is a non-option either. It's not a great pick all around for sure, but I find it easier to fight characters who are less mobile on it.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
I think duck hunt is not the worst stage there is, TSRK kills only about 5-10% later and bair is very scary because of the horizontal blastzones being small, also SRK recovers from pretty much the bottom of the stage so you can mix it up
Good point on the horizontal blast zones. Still wouldn't want to play against characters like Pikachu, Ness/Lucas, Villager, Sonic, Kirby on that stage.

Appe3

Smash Cadet
Yeah Ness is literally ebola on duck hunt and Villager has a ridiculously good time there, where I live and go to weeklies amd stuff (Turku, Finland)the most dominant forces are Diddy kong, DK, ZSS and Sheik, all of whuch excluding ZSS I like playing there. T&C still the best in my opinion

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
There is a lot of misconception about the ceilings of the current competitive set of 7 stages. Those are obviously Battlefield, Town & City, Smashville, Duck Hunt, Lylat Cruise, Final Destination and Dreamland 64. The only stages that have different ceilings are Battlefield and Town & City. The other 5 stages have the exact same ceiling and, therefore, TSRK kills at the exact same percentage.

Battlefield is about 4-6% larger, depending on character. Town & City is 2-4% smaller, also depending on character.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Omega Lylat Cruise is awesome for Ryu.
You can up+b Shark ppl almost 1/3 in under of the stage.

Whirlpool

Fre$h
I personally believe that battlefield benefits Ryu the best.

Due to all of the continuing combos on BF's platforms and it's relatively low ceiling plus combos into true shoryuken. I have found that Sheik mains and Falcon mains do not strike bf and I usually play on the stage and constantly perform well. They usually strike TnC and FD due to assumptions of Ryu's success with lower ceilings and flatter stages to space with fireballs(which is true).

The worst stage by far is Lylat. I have had matches against Yoshi and Pikachu players who counterpick Lylat due to me banning automatically Duck hunt and Dreamland. The jank on Lylat is very real and in my opinion, should be sprayed with a great red X on the stage select stage.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I personally believe that battlefield benefits Ryu the best.

Due to all of the continuing combos on BF's platforms and it's relatively low ceiling plus combos into true shoryuken. I have found that Sheik mains and Falcon mains do not strike bf and I usually play on the stage and constantly perform well. They usually strike TnC and FD due to assumptions of Ryu's success with lower ceilings and flatter stages to space with fireballs(which is true).

The worst stage by far is Lylat. I have had matches against Yoshi and Pikachu players who counterpick Lylat due to me banning automatically Duck hunt and Dreamland. The jank on Lylat is very real and in my opinion, should be sprayed with a great red X on the stage select stage.
Battlefield is our best option not because of combos, but because of movement. It is similar to how Pikachu's best stage is Lylat because literally EVERYWHERE is an auto-cancel. It doesn't have a relatively low ceiling. In fact, it has the HIGHEST ceiling of all legal stages and is about 8-10% 'higher' than Town & City. You should probably check your information before posting, lol.

Just because a stage has jank, it doesn't mean it is automatically Ryu's worst stage. Dreamland messes with our combo game MUCH more because of Wispy (destroying D-Air and L. U-Tilt combos) and the fact that the first platforms CANNOT be full-hopped onto. This is VERY detrimental.

Everyone has to deal with Lylat's jank so saying it is our worst stage because of that is, frankly, ridiculous to say.

Whirlpool

Fre$h
Battlefield is our best option not because of combos, but because of movement. It is similar to how Pikachu's best stage is Lylat because literally EVERYWHERE is an auto-cancel. It doesn't have a relatively low ceiling. In fact, it has the HIGHEST ceiling of all legal stages and is about 8-10% 'higher' than Town & City. You should probably check your information before posting, lol.

Just because a stage has jank, it doesn't mean it is automatically Ryu's worst stage. Dreamland messes with our combo game MUCH more because of Wispy (destroying D-Air and L. U-Tilt combos) and the fact that the first platforms CANNOT be full-hopped onto. This is VERY detrimental.

Everyone has to deal with Lylat's jank so saying it is our worst stage because of that is, frankly, ridiculous to say.
I do agree with Dreamland being Ryu's worst stage now but I thought that BF had a low ceiling :p. My B.

Top Bottom