• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Shieldbreak KO Option

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Nothing new here, just making sure it's public knowledge. If you break a shield at center stage, this is what you want to do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCEtBqmYb94

Marth has been able to do this since game's release, but not all Marth's know about it.

Marth needs every bit of help he can get closing out stocks, so here ya go.

It's the flying shieldbreaker.

And remember, the lower their percent, the longer they will be in the shield broken animation, and also as their percent gets higher, they will conversely be in the animation less time.

Hope this helps someone who didn't know about it. Peace.

I also do a fancy variation where I jump facing the opposite direction, and then jump back the other way into flying shieldbreaker on the second jump. That can be a nifty yolo offensive mixup, and perhaps can catch someone's recovery, ect. If they aren't expecting it, things can go in your favor, and the move's cool down is less than people expect.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Nothing new here, just making sure it's public knowledge. If you break a shield at center stage, this is what you want to do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCEtBqmYb94

Marth has been able to do this since game's release, but not all Marth's know about it.

Marth needs every bit of help he can get closing out stocks, so here ya go.

It's the flying shieldbreaker.

And remember, the lower their percent, the longer they will be in the shield broken animation, and also as their percent gets higher, they will conversely be in the animation less time.

Hope this helps someone who didn't know about it. Peace.

I also do a fancy variation where I jump facing the opposite direction, and then jump back the other way into flying shieldbreaker on the second jump. That can be a nifty yolo offensive mixup, and perhaps can catch someone's recovery, ect. If they aren't expecting it, things can go in your favor, and the move's cool down is less than people expect.
How is that any better than doing the same thing but on the ground...?

But anyway, I use that SB too but it only works in FG or against someone who doesn't know. (in which case you only get to do it once).

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I use the full hop because it's more consistent for me, I can land the tip 99% of the time by jumping back and going straight into the charge, and it takes no less time. If you can start charging the tipper faster and just as consistent, then do that. No difference either way, other than this way looks hella cool, especially if you b reverse it.

Last edited:

FireJuun

Juggles Fire
The aerial version will give you some extra sliding momentum, thus making it a bit easier to tipper compared to the standing version. I personally have just used the standing version, but will try this out as well. Cool stuff!

Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know offhand the time intervals of shield-broken opponents? For example, how much time do we have to do our setup for someone at low/mid/high percents (with no vs optimal mashing)? It might help to know just how much time we'll have to do the setup.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
The aerial version will give you some extra sliding momentum, thus making it a bit easier to tipper compared to the standing version. I personally have just used the standing version, but will try this out as well. Cool stuff!

Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know offhand the time intervals of shield-broken opponents? For example, how much time do we have to do our setup for someone at low/mid/high percents (with no vs optimal mashing)? It might help to know just how much time we'll have to do the setup.
After a year of doing this, I have always been able to land kos around 25% or less by walking them from center stage to the ledge, jumping back and tipping them this way. No one has ever mashed out at that early a percent.

And at later percents, you should be able to do this from anywhere on stage to ko.

Just knowing that a shield break for me always means a certain ko, and that some very good marths don't close out kos as early because they don't push them to the edge first, means they just haven't pushed marth to his full potential in his punish game. It's like giving away free kos.
Not like shieldbreaks happen often anyway, so we should exploit them whenever possible.

Top Bottom