• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best shield pressure option when they are above you on platform?

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
Assuming we're on Battlefield, for example, and they are on one of the right or left platforms, right above you, what do you guys do that you feel is the most effective? I'm looking for new ideas to try out.

I have a few options depending on the situation:

- Consecutive SH U-airs in attempt to make them drop shield and get hit
- Full-hop B-air into anything else
- Tomahawk grab
- SH F-air + something like falling U-air
- QA into their shield + Ledge canceled U-air, B-air, or another QA

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Assuming we're on Battlefield, for example, and they are on one of the right or left platforms, right above you, what do you guys do that you feel is the most effective? I'm looking for new ideas to try out.

I have a few options depending on the situation:

- Consecutive SH U-airs in attempt to make them drop shield and get hit
- Full-hop B-air into anything else
- Tomahawk grab
- SH F-air + something like falling U-air
- QA into their shield + Ledge canceled U-air, B-air, or another QA
I think there was an earlier post about being able to nearly break an opponent's shield by vertically spacing your thunder so that both the bolt and the pikachu hitbox collide with their shield. Although I haven't mained pikachu in about 7 months, so this might be outdated

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
I think there was an earlier post about being able to nearly break an opponent's shield by vertically spacing your thunder so that both the bolt and the pikachu hitbox collide with their shield. Although I haven't mained pikachu in about 7 months, so this might be outdated
I read that but that only applies to the top platform and isn't practical enough in tournament, sadly.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Another option would to full hop a Nair. You can connect with the strong hit and still autocancel it if you opt to land on the ledge. There's enough time afterwards for a second Nair, or Uair / Dair, or to just jump away or QA.

Thor

Smash Champion
One somewhat interesting option I haven't tried but could be worth trying is ledge-cancel Quick Attack when they're on the platform, from the outside of Battlefield inward. Good nairs like Sheik/Fox/etc. may be able to try to stuff this, especially if they guess it, but it's basically lagless and leaves us at center stage, and you can always do double jump bair vs landing on the ground to threaten an immediate extension of shield pressure vs simply landing and being able to keep threatening if they don't leave shield immediately.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
The QAC thing is definitely worth noting. Actually, I tend to QAC on BF very often, especially to catch people off-guard who are on one of the platforms. :) My friends ban battlefield against me in friendlies because of the endless ledge-cancels.

Last edited:

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
i saw a match where ESAM did a full hop Bair but Di'd it so that he did not land back on the platform, this provided a crap load of shield pressure, and then since Bair is lagless out of a FH he was able to stuff the opponents next action with a SH Uair.

that really only works if they are close to the edge of a platform though.

I also like doing a full hop Dair because it is lagless on BF platforms with a full hope. Anyways you hit shield with Dair and then mash Jab, if your position is good, you can jab them off the platform and lead into a jab lock.

Last edited:

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Dair isnt safe on sheild at all even if its auto canceled if the person knows how to punish it your getting grabbed. with dingdong characters like DK just SH upair and retreat get them off the platform do not leave your hurtbox anywhere grabable cause its not worth it. bair is good but if its read they can pivot grab it so choose options wisely. if they opt to stay on the platform mutihits after a few shield hits with upair can shield poke them. i be very wary of overextending in these situations if they can kill you for it

Top Bottom