• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Secondary?

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
Who is the best secondary for lucario to deal with bad matchups and weaknesses? I play sheik in melee, so I currently use her but I heard marth is a pretty good fit. Name who you think a good secondary is and why!

Zoa

Smash Ace
Luc doesn't have much in the way of pressuring your opponent to do what you them to, lacks against lingering/disjointed hitboxes, and has a pretty poop neutral game. Link or Tink would be a good option to pressure your opponent in neutral and the range game. Their projectiles would be good options to force things out of the opponent. Pit can do everything Luc can't, and I could vouch for Lucas as well.

Risky

Smash Ace
I main Lucario, 2nd Mario/Snake. Snake is a completely different playstyle, and also favors different stages (overlooked aspect I think). If my opponent is afraid of Lucario they'll ban a bunch of small stages. I'll counterpick something like Norfair/Skyworld/DL64 and go Snake if the matchup calls for it.

Beyond stages, I think Mario actually covers what I consider Lucario's bad MU's. Squirtle, Metaknight, Mario, Ness, Lucas (this isn't that bad for Lucario), or spacies that I'm having trouble controlling. His crouch cancel game is absurd and he has a significantly better neutral with Fireballs. Like Snake you have to play far differently against him than Lucario.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
currently I main lucario and sub falco. and started learning pit.

Do you guys think metaknight would be a good char to pick up for secondary?

Schwamus

Smash Cadet
I main Lucario in PM and secondary Samus/ Snake.

Snake is a completely different playstyle, and also favors different stages (overlooked aspect I think). If my opponent is afraid of Lucario they'll ban a bunch of small stages. I'll counterpick something like Norfair/Skyworld/DL64 and go Snake if the matchup calls for it.
That's pretty much my logic with the pick where it just is such a change-up from Lucario where it's quite an adjustment, though Samus is usually my go-to for big stages, though I'll usually go from Samus/ lucario rather than the other way around because Lucario's attack speed is a pretty big shock after dealing with samus at least for a stock or two.

THEDADPOOL

Smash Cadet
honestly while i second link (rarely use unless im outright beaten or i play ipk), lucario doesnt need a secondary. also his only bad matchups are the men in overalls and spacies and maybe one or two others probably samus (havent played one of them ). squirtle is pretty easy once you get his playstyle down and he/ivysaur(considering they are the same exact wieght and fall speed) are the perfect wieght for lucario to merc him with his combo game. lucas isnt diffucult anymore. honestly the only match up that lucario cant handle is falco because falco does what falco wants.

Risky

Smash Ace
I don't mind Luigi/Mario as much as I used to. Fair is really really good against what they want to do. Spacies are still annoying - trying to make it so I can M2K them on FD and have a strong counterpick there, my punish game still isn't consistent enough though. Squirtle is miserable... Not sure what you or your opponent is doing to make you think otherwise. While he's the same weight as Ivysaur he's not even remotely similar in playstyle.

THEDADPOOL

Smash Cadet
Ivysaur isnt similar to playstyle im refering to his fall speed and floatiness where they are exactly the same. Luigi/mario are easier since the patch but still kinda difficult.spacies going to space(Kappa)from what i know i havent had any issues with squirtle and neither does ipk consider he cant do shell shenanigans. And we have a pretty good one yador while kirby being his main his squirtle is no laughing matter.spaced dtilts and uptilt should be the trick you also dont reall have to approach squirtle

Top Bottom