• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Secondary for ICs?

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Lately I've been using Hylian's matchup list to try and find a good secondary to cover the ICs' bad matchups. So, in one or two characters, we definitely need to cover Peach, Toon Link, and Samus. The other rough ones are GW, Snake, Luigi, Ivysaur, Yoshi, Lucario, Zelda, and possibly Fox (but it seems like everyone has to deal with even-at-best MUs against Fox so whatever). Personally, I'm trying to decide on one or two among Charizard (good or at least even against Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, Zelda, Lucario, and Falcon but pretty bad against Snake, Ivy, and Samus), Roy (not sure of his matchups but he's good against Ivy and bad against Samus), and Toon Link (Probably pretty decent against Peach and Samus, not sure about Ivy).

But I'll play pretty much anyone except Fox. IC mains, who do you use when the climbers don't cut it?

Last edited:

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Who handles their bad matchups the best? I would figure it out myself but I don't really know many of the matchups. The replies here could benefit all of us, but for me specifically, I second Fox already, although I'm not very technical with him. I know he hardly has a matchup at all, but I don't want to rely on him too much.

I was also told by a pretty knowledgeable friend of mine that ICs struggle with Lucario, who also pops up in the Fox MU thread a few times as being potentially troublesome. So he would possibly need to be considered when picking a secondary, although I've personally never played a decent one. Peach also comes to mind as being a problem.

As much as I love them, I want to stay away from the more odd characters like Mewtwo or Yoshi. They're just too different. While I wait for help to trickle in here, I'll go check out the MU threads in other character boards, but a comment I hear in my scene a lot is "I've never played a decent ICs," and this game is really new so I don't know what I'll find. I'll probably have to check out the Melee boards, but I don't think those will help very much.
Just play :fox: Lol

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I gotta stop writing off Mario since he's damn good now and I liked Doc in Melee. I've been thinking of trying out Ike since I want a character with good recovery to compliment ICs and Fox. Thanks for the input though.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
In case anyone is interested, I decided on Charizard. He has a really intuitive combo game with like 5 moves than can get things started, a good recovery, good edgeguarding, and most importantly, he has a good matchup against Peach (I read, somewhere). I would imagine he doesn't have too much trouble with projectile spammers, depending on who it is (I'm thinking Links, specifically). He does struggle against swordsmen (dragon slayers) and fast, combo heavy characters (definitely Falcon and probably Sheik, etc) so I'm probably going to rely on the ICs for them.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I refuse to play Fox in PM because I play him in Melee and he feels gross in PM/makes my Melee one worse.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I really like Snake but I think they struggle with a lot of the same characters (Toon Link, Peach, Samus, Fox).

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Mario whenever I get bodied by a character I don't know how to deal with as ICs. He's versatile enough that he doesn't have any terrible MUs, and he's pretty fun to play.

Top Bottom