• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondary for falco?

Arrogant Commander

Banned via Administration
I main falco, and have tried a lot of different secondaries with him. Wondering what character to dual main in order cover bad falco matchups? Or should i just solo main falco?

Doublecork

Smash Apprentice
that would be a problem... if you weren't using a character that has no problem at all with playing all matchups. Falco doesn't need secondaries buddy. The only potentially bad matchups you have are Marth and Fox. I'd suggest switching to one of those completely if you need a secondary.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
This thread has been made literally a thousand times, does no one use the search bar?

Also, the best answer is always no, falco has no bad matchups so there is no reason for a secondary. Since that's the case its just up to u what other characters u like to play, but really dividing ur time is not an efficient way to improve (Assuming that's your only goal).

Last edited:

Hedgehog_

Smash Cadet
Fox is the obvious one. Falco has no losing matchups against anyone except maybe Fox. Personally I have made the decision to just get good at the matchups and solo main Falco

Last edited:

Snools

Smash Rookie
I guess I'm kinda in the same boat as you, and I've found something that works.
Rather than finding a secondary to fix a bad Falco matchup, as they aren't any, find a secondary to fix any bad you matchups. Instead of the objective and generalized "oh, x is awful against y, so play z" think about what characters/playstyles you personally have trouble with, and pick a character that is better for it, or at least offers new insight.
Also, you get to play characters you might not otherwise :p

GenNyan

Smash Ace
If you don't want to mess up tech as much when switching characters, try to pick a secondary with the same number of jump squat frames as Falco (6). These characters are Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Mewtwo, Puff, and Roy. Now you'll probably want a top tier, which leaves Puff and Peach. Both are excellent floaties that can cover some of Falco's weaker areas and improve your consistency. These two will also allow you to focus your tech training on Falco.

Otherwise I'd pick Marth. Fox will interfere with your falco tech a good bit.

Last edited:

Adamante

Smash Rookie
I use Fox when I struggle against someone, especially Puff, even though it may be hard to switch between those two at the beginning. But as said, you don't really need a secondary for Falco, and if you want one, just play a character that feels good for you

adz

Smash Cadet
falco doesn't really need a secondary, but i'd recommend picking up fox. fox does better against peach and puff, both of which give falco some degree of trouble. plus, in matchups where both do equally well (like falcon) you have the option of going with what character feels the best.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
well falco doesn't really have any losing matchups, besides maybe marth or fox.You could go Fox to cover Peach and Puff if u want. Just do whatever works for you

Bob bomb

Smash Rookie
If you are looking for a secondary to cover Falco's bad match-ups, then you shouldn't really need one because he doesn't really have a significant disadvantage (if at all) against anybody.

If you are looking for a secondary to have more positive match-ups overall, then you have a few options. Falco generally struggles the most against Fox, Marth, Jigglypuff, Peach, himself, and maybe Samus, so find a character that does well or at least not poorly vs them. Characters that come to mind are Fox and Marth.

Fox does well vs every character and is a great choice in that sense; however, maintaining and warming up both is very difficult, so I generally don't think that it's worth it, on top of both characters having similar strengths in terms of stages and overall being redundant.

Marth works well because he does better vs Peach, Samus, and arguably Jigglypuff. Marth also does better on FD against Fox, Falco, and Marth than Falco does. Falco compliments Marth well because he deals with Sheik, Falcon, and probably Pikachu and Yoshi better than Marth does (not saying Marth loses to them, Falco is just better). Marth requires fewer button presses and offers a different perspective on the game for a Falco main such as strong ground movement, spacing, and choosing when to attack.

If you aren't worried about Fox, then Sheik also works decently because she is easy to maintain and to play and does better than Falco vs Samus, Peach, as well as being better on different stages than Falco. This does however leave something to be desired against Jiggs. Similarly, if you don't care about Fox, Jigglypuff can work better vs Samus and Peach. This also eliminates any potential counterpicks from an opposing Jiggs player on top of offering a niche vs unsuspecting Falcos.

The rest of the cast has very little to offer as opposed to the top tiers as far as match-ups go. I don't really think that Falco should need a secondary and is completely viable to solo-main, but if you really want one, then I recommend Marth. Sheik and Jiggs each offer a niche, and Fox is great, but it's just too hard and not worth it to play both.

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Like a lot of people said before, I would recommend just sticking with Falco, but if you must have a secondary, pick Sheik or Marth.

Barry BlaZe

Smash Cadet
As a falco main I personally struggle with some of the more odd characters such as Peach, puff, samus, luigi. These characters are odd to fight and falco just dies so easily if u dont know what youre doing.

I would first figure out what matchups you are bad at navigating with falco. From there you can ethier :
1. Focus on improving yourself at that specific matchup with Falco
2. See what characters you like using to fight this character if you really hate using falco for that matchup.

After this assessment u can really start thinking about the appropriate main.

Shreke

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeke_h
Im a Falco main who secondarys ICs... pretty sure its just preference seeing the falco doesnt have any losing MUs except for maybe Fox. Play who you find fun and interesting :)

Top Bottom