• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondary: Falco or Marth?

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
Been struggling with finding a secondary that works best for me. As a Sheik main I need a character that can counter:
-Ice Climbers (**** that matchup)
-Puff
-Fox (when my Sheik isn't on point)

I know that with Fox on a bad day I can always counterpick to FD and use Marth, but even then its hard for me to chain grab consistently. I also don't know whether or not Falco is better for IC's and Puff then Marth. And I hate switching back and forth for my 2nds and I'm wondering which character would work best?

Last edited:

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
If you want the best advice for your success, don't bother with a secondary. Learn the matchups as Sheik. It is much easier to learn all the matchups (even the bad ones) with one character than to try to main two characters. This of course changes at very top level because they have put so much time into the game that they can be just as fluent with two characters.

With that said, Fox is the best secondary by far.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Aside from fox, who for the most part I'd just solo main, I think Marth Sheik is the best co main in the game. No losing matchups aside from arguably fox, depending on how you think Marth fox is.

That being said I prefer falco cause he appeals to me, and gives an outlet for much more aggressive play than sheik or Marth, but solo main is the best option.

Pick up a friendlies character(s) like I do if you don't like playing one character all the time, but use your main in serious sets.

Edit: that ended up kinda convoluted lol /rant

Last edited:

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
Fox covers Puff and Icies really well, but it's kind of sketchy to try to beat someone's main with your secondary in a ditto so I don't know if he's great vs Fox.

Falco covers Fox, Icies, and Puff all pretty well. He might be your best bet, but Icies and Puff take some learning for Falco.

Marth covers Fox well, and Icies if you learn the matchup, but probably won't help you much vs Puff.

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
If you want the best advice for your success, don't bother with a secondary. Learn the matchups as Sheik. It is much easier to learn all the matchups (even the bad ones) with one character than to try to main two characters. This of course changes at very top level because they have put so much time into the game that they can be just as fluent with two characters.

With that said, Fox is the best secondary by far.
Yea, my doubles partner is pure Ice Climbers so I at least know the matchup well. But sometimes I just feel more comfortable as Marth so whatever fits me I guess

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
I personally think Marth is a good secondary. He covers ICs and Fox if you bother learning Marth-things, and I think he actually does a really good job against Puff. He can basically out wall her, which kind of gets rid of everything she has.

Top Bottom