• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best punishes

Wintry

Smash Cadet
So I'm starting to understand how to play Luigi a bit more and I love his style of play. I can hit most of his combos 80-90% of the time, though I sometimes struggle with Dair spikes and sweet spotting Up B.

For a punish, however, what should I be looking at? Sometimes I notice that when I shield an attack I'll get pushed back too far to go for a grab, unless I'm missing something. What should I do to capitalize?

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
You should be able to perfect shield the hit and do an OOS Up-B to kill them if they're in high percents. If not then just zone them out, he slides too far to be able to punish the hit.

Last edited:

Wintry

Smash Cadet
You should be able to perfect shield the hit and do an OOS Up-B to kill them if they're in high percents. If not then just zone them out, he slides too far to be able to punish the hit.
Sorry I'm still noobish, what's OOS?

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I'm still noobish, what's OOS?
Out of Shield, basically means that since you can jump out of your shield, you can cancel your jump into some B moves, like Up-B. Basically just perfect shield, then jump and immediately after you jump do the Up-B. It's quicker and safer than just letting go of shield and using the move.

Ribskhie

Smash Rookie
Try using D-Smash, it has really good range, and while you're not going to be killing with it unless they're at a high percent, it does knock them away.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
So I'm starting to understand how to play Luigi a bit more and I love his style of play. I can hit most of his combos 80-90% of the time, though I sometimes struggle with Dair spikes and sweet spotting Up B.

For a punish, however, what should I be looking at? Sometimes I notice that when I shield an attack I'll get pushed back too far to go for a grab, unless I'm missing something. What should I do to capitalize?
Just about any move can be used as a punish. What matters is the amount of frames you have to punish and the enemies percent. Are they at kill percent? Are you just trying to get damage or an advantage? Luigi's grab is very good and has some reliable kill setups. So I would naturally grab as a punish. If I see enough time I'll use Up B or Usmash. If I have a small window, jabs or tilts work great.

To deal with Luigi's pushback, spot dodge or powershield. Powershielding is hard to do unless you can see an attack coming but it'll net you a better punish

Top Bottom