• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best MP3 Player?

Cy Yunga

Smash Cadet
Just wondering, what do you guys think is the best digital music player out there? I'm getting one soon, and I don't know which one, there's too many to choose from... I know the ipod is certainly the most popular... but anyway which one is the best?

F8X

Smash Ace
It really depends what you are going to use it for. If you have a itunes music library already stick to an ipod.

But I personally would recommend the Zune. I have it and I love it. Nice big screen, looks good, plays good, and it should have a decent future if Microsoft uses software updates to its fullest potential.

Saying which one is the best is very hard. I had an Ipod Mini and for some reason I did not like the functionality of Itunes at the time. And If you have a 360 the Zune connects right up to it(which is sweet but by no means worth buying one. I personally would like to hear someone else's opinion on this as well...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
There's a lot of people out there that say that iPods suck. They're just to cheap to afford one.

iPods are amazingly convenient, and simple enough to operate. The only thing that I don't like about them is having to use iTunes. iTunes is the devil.

If you have the budget, stick with iPod.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I agree. But around where I live, iPods seem to be going out of style. Don't get me wrong, they're still immensly popular, it's just it seems like anybody could come in and dish out a new MP3 that's more compact and with more memory and get fast cash for it.

Khanczar

Smash Ace
Well itunes sucks if you have a sh*tty collection of songs on your computer...

Zune blows.

I KNOES, GIT TEH PSP LOL ITS GOT LOL THE BEST MP2 PLARY ON HTE MARKIT IT LOL PWNZ IPOD I MEEN LULZ JOO CAN PLAE GAEMS AND STUFF.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
The main problem i find with iPod's is that they break all too often. Every single person i know who owns an iPod has had some kind of breakage one way or another. It took 3 years for my muvo2 or whatever it's called to break, and on a certain level (holding ear phones to the left) it still works perfectly fine.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm on my fourth iPod... but only one of them actually broke.

First was a 3rd gen that I got off ebay.

Second was a nano I got the same christmas I got that one.

Third was another nano, because the previous one's battery exploded. Apple gave it to me for free.

Fourth was yet another nano that I bought from a pawn shop, because someone owned me and stole the previous one from my car.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Microsoft Zune "It's comming Zune" - Try saying that outloud!

In my opinion, the iPod is the best MP3 player, I've had my second generation iPod Nano for a few months with hardly any problems. :/

F8X

Smash Ace
Well itunes sucks if you have a sh*tty collection of songs on your computer...

Zune blows.

I KNOES, GIT TEH PSP LOL ITS GOT LOL THE BEST MP2 PLARY ON HTE MARKIT IT LOL PWNZ IPOD I MEEN LULZ JOO CAN PLAE GAEMS AND STUFF.
Dude, trust me the Zune does not blow, I had a mini before and I knew alot of people who have ipods as well(not surprising when they control 70% of the MP3 market).

The Zune actually is a great device, the only complaint that I would have about the Zune is that I can't use it as a portable hard drive for files, but I have a labtop so that does not bother me much.

Zune software is very simple to use, and works fine for me. The only luxuries that it is missing is a itunes podcast feature. But once again Microsoft said they would do that in the future and there's always rss feeds and odio.

Let me just list the pros and cons...
Pros
  • Looks good (IMO)
  • Works well as a Video, and MP3 player
  • Picture Viewer is great
  • Software is pretty easy to use (drag and drop)
  • FM radio gets good quality reception(and lists the station and song)
  • Does not scratch easily
  • Tough exterior
  • Microsoft /Xbox connectivity
Cons
  • Sharing files can only be viewed(songs/videos) 3 times over three days
  • No automatic [edit]updating[/edit] podcast feature
  • Very rare to find someone with a Zune to share files
  • No games yet (they announced 08, but do you really need games on it:ohwell: )
  • No hacks out yet(at least to my knowledge)
Anyway I have a Zune and I love it and thats all that matters and talk to anyone else who has a Zune, they love it.

EDIT: I have the black one

Croco

Smash Lord
I have a Zune..
My sister and Bro have a iPod..
Sister has a iPod Video..
Bro has a iPod Mini.
Both of their iPods broke before mine.. and how did they break? Not from scratches, smashing, or anything else. They just never turned on again one day.. and they had to get them repaired.

When my sister and bro compared my audio quality with to their iPods.. they both agreed that my Zune had better sound and bass.

Microsoft's Zune marketplace isn't half that bad either. I actually found allot of music that I enjoy.

The Zune will probably have firmware updates overtime.. so the whole.. "podcast" stuff might happen.. just as the psp got it. And the Zune could even get a firmware update for games.

Now the biggest problem the Zune had was how the iPod is a already known household product name.. and due to the winter Holiday season and how most Americans tend to act like lemmings, they all bought iPods because someone they met or know already recommended them to buy one. Apples commercials for the iPod are better then what Microsoft did for the Zune. The iPod is like the "furby" of today.. they are over hyped but they aren't exactly what they are cut out to be.

Now the iPod has already had a head start.. The Zune could catch up still.
I do not think that the iPod sucks or it's pointless to buy.. though I feel my money was better used to buy a Zune over a iPod.

Demon_Lord

Smash Cadet
i'm going with the zune i do not have one but a lot of my friends have the zune and they say it is a very good portable media device.

i'm gonna get one in the near future like May or June XP

Sporkman

Smash Ace
To those who have a Zune i've got a couple questions, seeing as i'm going to start looking for a new mp3 player. Is there anything that actually annoys you about the Zune? such as traded songs can only be played 3 times regardless etc etc. ?

EDIT: And do you know how much they cost?

Khanczar

Smash Ace
My sister has one of the original ipods. The black and white huge ipods. It has not broken YET. Since what, 2003?

The only reason electronics break is because people dont take care of them.

[FACT=this]Zune blows.[/FACT]

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Creative Labs has the best mp3 alternative to ipods. I've got a zen touch 20 gig and it hasnt broken in the 2 years I've had it.

But Ipod has great functionality and most of the extra stuff you can buy will work with ipods only which is unfortunate.

Plus, nano/shuffles are really cool. Can run with those.

Croco

Smash Lord
To those who have a Zune i've got a couple questions, seeing as i'm going to start looking for a new mp3 player. Is there anything that actually annoys you about the Zune? such as traded songs can only be played 3 times regardless etc etc. ?

When I bought mine it was around 200 bucks..

And the 3 song plays? umm.. never thought that was a problem.

Anything else that annoys me?
well the software I first installed on my labtop.. was very slow. though I only had 512mb of ram then. Now I have over a Gb and the software runs quicker.. and they even had a new update which helped.

I wish there was a video service to download music videos and TV shows like iTunes has.
Though I think this might happen soon.. XBox Live already has adult swim, so I can see this coming for the Zune's Marketplace sometime in the future.

F8X

Smash Ace

When I bought mine it was around 200 bucks..

And the 3 song plays? umm.. never thought that was a problem.

Anything else that annoys me?
well the software I first installed on my labtop.. was very slow. though I only had 512mb of ram then. Now I have over a Gb and the software runs quicker.. and they even had a new update which helped.

I wish there was a video service to download music videos and TV shows like iTunes has.
Though I think this might happen soon.. XBox Live already has adult swim, so I can see this coming for the Zune's Marketplace sometime in the future.
The official price is $250; but I happen to see a ton of sales on the Zune, with most sale prices $200.

And just think of the WiFi feature as an alliterative to listing/watching/viewing(I think pictures get around the 3day rule, I'm not sure?) on the same ipod while sharing an headset.

Microsoft has also announced some sort of Video Marketplace feature, and the Zune software should become very popular
Also read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_portable_media_players
Just for a comparison.
[FACT=this]Zune blows.[/FACT]
Prove me wrong... Sounds like you've never even held one...

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
I have a Samsung YP-U1 and its pretty good, only problem is that it only has 1 gig, but its great if you aren't willing to spend that much money. If you want though there is the Creative Zen Micro which has 6 gigs, but is a bit more costly, but also worth it.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
A word to the wise.....

Do not ever buy any portable device that uses a hard drive. Stick with flash memory ALWAYS.

That is why the ipod nano > ipod video. Because of how bad apple makes there hard drives I know have to use a 1st gen shuffle. I wish I got a nano.

p.s Videos on the ipod sucks. Battery life is horrible and its such a small screen. Plus you can play videos on all other ipods (excluding shuffle) if you know how. ;)

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
ummm..itunes is what u want...i got a 2nd gen ipod nano..and its wonderful...extremly accessible...very easy to move songs from your comp into ur ipod...just take any song saved on ur comp...slide it over into the itunes window...and then import the song...its awesome...zune is too big for my tastes...and i wasnt interested in watching vids so i didnt care much for...if i get an mp3 player i want it to fo just dat...play music.....peace

-hiroshi
uber-worst fl smasher

Croco

Smash Lord
I'm interested. This has been said a few times now so it must have some backup to it other than brand bias or whatever. Anyone wanna inform me of -why- Zune sucks?
Because it has suckable vacuum features.. so it can pick up dirt. I clean my room all the time with my Zune and listen to my music at the same time. :laugh:
Ipod's however do not have suckable vacuum features. :ohwell:

Top Bottom