• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best match ups for link

Jucas

Smash Rookie
What's the best character to beat link? Cuz he's a spaceie jerk

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I honestly have no idea lol. Link has tools for pretty much any situation. I guess it just more so depends on the Link player's playstyle. However I find characters with decent speed, range and sometimes projectiles to be a bit harder to deal with. That's just me though. Someone more experienced with MUs can give you a straighter response at some point.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
(Edited)

To beat Link? Falco has by far the best anti-neutral game against Link. The Link player will have to adapt tremendously to get around the wall of lasers. I would argue the same for Mario who counters Link's boomerang pressure with the fireballs rather handily. Mario is slightly slower however and his range is beaten by Link's at mid-range.

And while this matchup is generally even, I believe that Sheik beats Link at high levels of play. She has better camping game and way better punishes on Link. Not to mention she's one of the few characters that are good at edgeguarding him. Keep the pressure on him really.

Mewtwo and Pit are theoretically good vs Link as well but I haven't played either matchup enough.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
(Edited)

To beat Link? Falco has by far the best anti-neutral game against Link. The Link player will have to adapt tremendously to get around the wall of lasers. I would argue the same for Mario who counters Link's boomerang pressure with the fireballs rather handily. Mario is slightly slower however and his range is beaten by Link's at mid-range.

And while this matchup is generally even, I believe that Sheik beats Link at high levels of play. She has better camping game and way better punishes on Link. Not to mention she's one of the few characters that are good at edgeguarding him. Keep the pressure on him really.

Mewtwo and Pit are theoretically good vs Link as well but I haven't played either matchup enough.
Falco's lazers were heavily nerfed though. You can't autocancle them and Link can literally walk towards Falco blocking lazers. The endlag is very punishable and the lazers themselves are very slow. "Wall of lasers" is an overstatement. I can even punish Fox's laser lag with a dash attack, though Link can't block his lasers with the Hylian shield for some reason, so good for him.

Just figure out a way to get around projectiles and figure out his patterns and habbits. Don't be afraid if Link throws out an Fsmash. If he wiffs the first swing, bait out the second one and punish hard. That second swing has a lot of endlag so you have plenty of time to capitalize.

If you catch him in his shield, approach with quick jabs more. If he tries to shieldgrab you, you'll either cancel his grab or hit him before he can grab you. You can also bait out grabs by runing up to him and rolling back/spot dodging if he plans on shieldgrabbing you. Multi-hit moves in general are good on people who shieldgrab early a lot, though good players usually won't make it a habit.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Falco's lazers were heavily nerfed though. You can't autocancle them and Link can literally walk towards Falco blocking lazers. The endlag is very punishable and the lazers themselves are very slow. "Wall of lasers" is an overstatement. I can even punish Fox's laser lag with a dash attack, though Link can't block his lasers with the Hylian shield for some reason, so good for him.
Dude have you faced a good Falco? Good Falcos can position their lasers much better and aim even for Link's head and feet. A laser will hit you no matter what, Hylian shield or not, so in general it's less getting hit by the lasers and more working around the laser pressure. I'm not saying that the Hylian shield doesn't work but the approach is not free by any means.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Dude have you faced a good Falco? Good Falcos can position their lasers much better and aim even for Link's head and feet. A laser will hit you no matter what, Hylian shield or not, so in general it's less getting hit by the lasers and more working around the laser pressure. I'm not saying that the Hylian shield doesn't work but the approach is not free by any means.
No dude. Falco's lazers are super bad. If you land from shooting lasers, he has a ton of endlag. Shooting lasers at all is very risky with Falco. Any character can just power shield and move in for a punish.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Falco's lazers are super bad.
(facepalm) Stopped reading here. You're still missing my point like completely. Do you know what Falco's lasers in general do to Link's neutral game? If Link dares to pull a bomb out or throw the rang, he will get lasered in the face. Also nobody can powershield consistently so that approach is only available like less than half of the time. The way to handle Falco is to approach from a more vertical angle like from a platform or from a full hop. Hence is why characters like Peach and Puff handle Falco well because they can work around his incredible horizontal space control, which Link is strong in but Falco is much stronger.

I hope you realize this is Project M we're talking about and not Smash 4, because in that game yes I can admit that Falco's lasers are awful. In P:M the lasers still autocancel.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
(facepalm) Stopped reading here. You're still missing my point like completely. Do you know what Falco's lasers in general do to Link's neutral game? If Link dares to pull a bomb out or throw the rang, he will get lasered in the face. Also nobody can powershield consistently so that approach is only available like less than half of the time. The way to handle Falco is to approach from a more vertical angle like from a platform or from a full hop. Hence is why characters like Peach and Puff handle Falco well because they can work around his incredible horizontal space control, which Link is strong in but Falco is much stronger.

I hope you realize this is Project M we're talking about and not Smash 4, because in that game yes I can admit that Falco's lasers are awful. In P:M the lasers still autocancel.
My bad lol you're right. I feel like an idiot. I thought we were talking about Smash 4. Please disregard my comments here guys. I didn't read the tags.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
You're a dumb idiot noob who can't differentiate between games.

Jk jk lol. :awesome: The fact that you mentioned the landlag heavily increasing kinda gave away the fact you were talking about Smash 4, where Link is vastly superior to Falco.

Last edited:
Top Bottom