• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Martial Art?

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
My fighting style is mainly Judo and Tai Chi Quan but I also have kickboxing/english boxing, jiu jistu, wrestling, and I've even had instructors tell me that sometimes the different stances I take remind them of kung-fu. However, the only stuff that I've ever taken lessons for for Tae Kwon Do.

I haven't taken any state championships because I never got into tournaments for fighting, though it would've been a good way to stay in shape. With exception for TKD, I've learned all of my abilities through being taught by my father, learning with my brother and his friends since I was 5.

My only real credential is being head of security for a nightclub and being in my fair share of confrontations in that line of business.

I have experienced someone using Monkey style, and may I say, that was some wicked crazy stuff. I've been in fights with more than three people and I've never been as distracted as I was when I sparred the Monkey-style. Over all I won due to a massiev weight and height advantage, his JJS didn't work on my arms, I outflexed his strength.

In the world of MMA tournaments, yes, Judo and Tai Chi and the "softer" arts won't cut it too well because when you confront someone in Judo on the street, you'll be tossed a few times and you'll decide it's not worth your time as you have the choice not to get into a real fight with the guy. In the ring, you are predisposed to fight and they won't be deterred that way.

But if you have someone with MMA go against a true Kung Fu artist who especially follows southern style, they are in for a world of hurt! That is because southern style of kung fu, tradition training that is, one of the first things you learn are where to strike. Head, eyes, ears, throat, cheeks/lips (grab/tear) armpits, sternum/clavicle(easily broken) innerthigh/groin, knees elbows and ankles. The main thing I think will upset the MMA fighter the most is crotch shots, cheeks, but by faaaaar what will rock his world is when he gets past the SKF's half guard, that guy will latch onto his eyeball and try to remove it from the socket by mouth suction. In a panic he will either knock his face off (which you can't really do too well in panic) or just try to get the hell away.

In the ring, a lot of martial arts go away because of the sportsmanship of it. It is true that Muay Thai is beastly, because it involves physically augmenting your bone structures to be more dense and thus more damaging when colliding with the opponent, so it will be viable in all forms of fighting because it relies more on changing the body more than a style of attack.

That's Brazilian JJS
That burned a hole into my skull. What the hell, I'm sorry, but bleh.

BJJS:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Jiu-Jitsu

Capoeira: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

My cousin is learning Capoeira and I also sparred him. He came in, tried to kick off of my chest, I slapped it away, he turned it into a lunging punch, I ducked and I went in for a counter-attack and he was already ten feet away laughing his head off. Monkey was distracting, it is locally mobile, moving around and on you. Capoeira is universally mobile. They are constantly leaping around in and away you. If you can stand off against them, you might be able to out-wait his energy, but if you blink, they will jump down your throat, and cartwheel your head right off of your shoulders.

samalamading

Smash Cadet
Mine are Judo, TKD, And Muy Thai.

The fact that you get ALL areas of fighting with these arts conbined.

Kicking, Throws, and Punches.
Being the well rounded fighter is always the best choice.
where is your ground game? you have no ground game what so ever, look at rampage and kimbo, prolly some of the best standing games in the world, but rampage lost major points for not being able to get out of forests ground game. Kimbo got knocked out in 14 seconds, because he had no idea what to do when he hit the ground.
Without a ground game, I don't see how your well rounded.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
where is your ground game? you have no ground game what so ever, look at rampage and kimbo, prolly some of the best standing games in the world, but rampage lost major points for not being able to get out of forests ground game. Kimbo got knocked out in 14 seconds, because he had no idea what to do when he hit the ground.
Without a ground game, I don't see how your well rounded.
Are you kidding?
That is what TKD and Judo is for.

samalamading

Smash Cadet
Are you kidding?
That is what TKD and Judo is for.
I am talking about ground control....
I say wrestling is better for ground game then them.

I don't know enough about them, just by what my BF does and tells me.
I do know wrestling because I used to be a female wrestler for the team, now I am stats.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I am talking about ground control....
I say wrestling is better for ground game then them.

I don't know enough about them, just by what my BF does and tells me.
I do know wrestling because I used to be a female wrestler for the team, now I am stats.
And I know Judo, It has great ground game, and so does TKD.

Heavy_Bass

Smash Apprentice
Well I know next to nothing about Martial Arts but I've been told by a couple of people that Ninjitsu is the most deadly style of Martial Arts..

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Krav Maga, simply put, it probably the most practical martial art. It teaches you to fight in worst conditions; if you're being attacked by someone who wants to kill you, you don't go easy on them. As simple as that. And that's what Krav Maga is all about.

Capoiera and Monkey Style can be especially useful for how effective they are combined with how few people know it. Few people know how to properly spar against someone who've learned these well, but it's difficult to find schools for them in America.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Silat, Krav Maga, and Eskrima are f*cking insane.

I've also heard that Kenpo, Hung Gar, and Wing Chun are pretty nice too.

EDIT: I guess my style of choice would be Wing Chun-

It doesn't depend on sheer strength, but instead properly timed positioning and movement.

One small step could disrupt your foe's powerful attack. It's actually pretty interesting.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
I have actually invented my own martial art. It's called Quicksand. Pretty much it focuses on using the head, teeth, arms, and knees as weapons. It focuses as well on tackling someone to the ground, to reduce the best fighter to rolling around like a *****. It also focuses on situations where the average martial art might come up a bit short (IE: limited mobility situations) I guess the way I could describe it is like a cross between wrestling and good old street fighting.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I like Ninjitsu for it's devastation on the human body but I don't think the martial art was design to fight a 1 on 1 fight straight on, It's more of Assassinating in a first strike than to make a brawl fight. I also like jujitsu because how fast they can checkmate an opponent into submission the moment they are grabbed. But I think all styles have an Achilles Heel so ultimately there's no best fighting style really. I would rather have sheer experience in fighting different types of people with different styles than to be limited with one or two styles. I just want to be adaptable like water :D

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
They actually sounds rather masochistic- it seems to indicate a good amount of self-hurt,

Perhaps, but it also uses the tools animals used to survive. I mean, when you haven't got a lot of physical strength or quickness, you can still be successful fighting like an animal

WHO THE HELL FIGHTS WITH TEETH?
The tooth is actually one of the stronger parts of the body. It can puncture skin. Nothing says "I'm better than you" than snapping someone's hamstrings in half. The head is also a strong part of the body, very strong as a matter of fact. And when you use your head as a weapon on more sensitive muscles, such as the stomach and groin, it can have very good results, but not lethal.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
This guy speaks the truth. Crazy> strong. The best style would be mixed martial arts. Sure, this is kind of cheap, but having multiple attacking styles is much more intimidating. When all else fails, I would try this guys method. When ALL else fails.

smashbot226

Smash Master
If all else fails, go for the thumb.

No, I mean it. When a foe goes for a grab/punch, counter it by catching/dodging to the side, open up his hand, grip his thumb, and pull it backwards.

I've seen more than one fight won by such a method.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised at the lack of promotion of Jeet Kune Do here. I'm not a Bruce fanboy neither. Martial arts movies are a poor indicator since it's all choreography and no real world application. I favor Jeet Kune Do because of its fighting strategy and adaptability.

I would like to think that the Shaolin monks are the best fighters simply because I can't think of anyone else that dedicates more time into training.

...but Captain Falcon does seem to practice Muy Thai.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
As far as Jeet Kun Do goes, its a very good martial arts. I have had discusiions with my friend who took a class of it, and he felt it was too flashy. Now I dont think this, because Jeet Kun Do isnt really a style. Its designed so a fighter will adapt, so in my mind there isnt a set jeet kun do style, but more a guideline of fighting.

as far as the best fighters in the world, thats vague. If youre talking martial artist then shaolin monks possibly. However fighters is vague. A samurai is a fighter, a sharpshooter is a fighter, i think both of those fighters would take a shaolin monk easy.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
Smashbot, youre wrong to assume that you are the only one who knows, Im sure most people who post on this thread understand that difference between Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do and Jeet Kune Do.

TheLinkus

Smash Cadet
As far as Jeet Kun Do goes, its a very good martial arts. I have had discusiions with my friend who took a class of it, and he felt it was too flashy. Now I dont think this, because Jeet Kun Do isnt really a style. Its designed so a fighter will adapt, so in my mind there isnt a set jeet kun do style, but more a guideline of fighting.
I agree. I know some about JKD and it is very effective because of the fact that it adapts to the situation. It has certian techniques, but not a strict set of rules.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
A mixture of styles rather than one specialty will always prove to be the better approach.

R.L.Prodigy

Smash Cadet
I would said the best Martial Artiest is Bruce Lee 13 reasons

- If you put water is cup it's become the cup, if you put water in a bottle it's become the bottle, if you put water in a teapot it's become the teapot, water can flow or it can crash be water my friends.

- Don't think feel it is like a finger pointing away to the moon.

- Bruce thought Chuck Norris, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Coburn, Joe Lewis, Roman Polanski, Lee Marvin, Stirling Silliphant, Steve McQueen, and Mike Stone.

* Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second.
* Lee's combat movements were at times too fast to be captured on film at 24 frames per second, so many scenes were shot in 32fps to put Lee in slow motion. Normally martial arts films are sped up.
* In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.
* Lee could perform push ups using only his thumbs
* Lee would hold an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer.
* Lee could throw grains of rice up into the air and then catch them in mid-flight using chopsticks.
* Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger
* Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.
* Lee could break wooden boards 6 inches (15 cm) thick.
* Lee could cause a 300-lb (136 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a side kick.
* Lee performed a side kick while training with James Coburn and broke a 150-lb (68 kg) punching bag
* In a move that has been dubbed "Dragon Flag", Lee could perform leg lifts with only his shoulder blades resting on the edge of a bench and suspend his legs and torso perfectly horizontal midair.

Look it up it's real. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee

Top Bottom