• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best "Ins" for Mario?

BasicallyRyan

Smash Cadet
Now, like Doc, Mario does not have a strong way to get in but does have a fairly good combo game. In some of my local games I've been noticing that doing standard WD-Dsmash or just baiting out a move in hitting the WD-Dsmash for an easy pop-up which can lead into an easy uair string or even fair - grab combo.
What are your favorite ways to approach your opponent?

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
I see alot of mario players use ftilts but i dont like it because of its slow startup. Generally you should stay grounded with WD jabs, ftilts, and fsmash or a fireballs. The reason i dont like approaching in the air because i believe marios aerials isnt that good and hes falling speed is really weird.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
Mario has a ridiculous amout of approach options. The main thing I try to do with Mario is get the grab. Mario has an absurd amount of followups with grabs, some of which include long air combos, chain grabs, tech chasing, killing/off ledge setup with back throw, and more. Whatever you have to do to get the grab, do it. Or u can play the bait and punish game, since he is good at that too.

a rookie

Smash Ace
A good approach? Hm. Full Hop fireballs open up opponents most of the time for me since they have something to worry about. It's a good distraction, but try to keep close to the fireball when you shoot it if possible. If it actually hits, there's ways to get follow ups, such as grab/dsmash/etc. But if it doesn't hit, it's still good since people respond by either shielding, neutralizing the fireball, or just dodging it completely. Thing is, think of Mario as a tank. He takes hits good imo. So if you can't find an opening, let your opponent hit you and counter attack w/ a CC dsmash or something. You need the mid %(30-50) in order to combo pretty good. Late up airs work wonders too if used correctly.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
No one's posted on this thread in over a month, but I've got some questions I think belong here, so hopefully someone notices it.

I have trouble with approaching. Specifically with Marth and Ganondorf.

Marth mainly because of his range and power. Ganondorf for the same reasons, but it's a little more specific because the Ganon I play against is a good friend of mine who's used to my shenanigans by now, because I beat them into his muscle memory back when we were both really bad. I usually try short or full hop fireballs (I try to mix it up from different heights to see what he'll do) and attempt to WD-dsmash or WD-jab, as approaching from the air usually puts me on my ass. I'm fairly new to Melee (about six months of competitive play, been playing casually with competitive friends for over a year) but I have a good amount of tech knowledge, considering my limited experience. I'm just not really sure I'm utilizing all my approach options, especially against characters that have such long melee range.

Any suggestions?

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
@ Squire Squire : dude make an independent thread for your topic. Don't get in the way of BasicallyRyan's question.

@ BasicallyRyan BasicallyRyan : Bait a hit of some sort, shield it, wavedash out of shield, grab. Situationally dependent upon the hit and spacing.

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Full hop dairs is one of your best approach tools. It has a lot of priority, stays out long and will get you near your opponent where you want to be. Late up-airs are also pretty good. Don't approach with nair. From the ground, you'll mostly want to be running around, spacing f-tilts and jabs with occasionnals f or d smash.

Unless you're playing vs a campy player, spacies will do most of the apparoaching for you. A well spaced u-tilt can stuff some aerials and put you in a great position to start a combo.

Vs character like Marth or Ganon, approaching for Mario is hard, period. They have a lot of range and you neither have a good projectile or the speed to effectively approach them. If they take to the skies, full hop dair is again very good vs them.

Also be careful with your usage of fireballs. From close-mid range they are kinda unsafe if you're not in a good position.

Top Bottom