• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Ike combos

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
So I have recently been playing a lot of Ike, like a lot of Ike. Problem is all of my combos are usually like down tilt into fair or nair, dash attack into fair or nair, side b into nair or fair, throw into fair or nair, or the one that only works once, down throw into aether. What are the best combos I can be pulling off with Ike?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well, without getting into the crazy stuff all that's really left are Nair combos. At very early percent, you can Nair into grab -> Fair, Nair into Jab, or try for a Nair into Ftilt. This becomes a straight Nair -> Fair once you've got a couple hits in. Around 20%-50% hitting with the weak back end of Nair will combo perfectly into Bair.

If you're really fancy though, you can do crazy Nair -> Footstool -> Dair lock combos at early percent depending on your opponent's DI.

There's also footage of using Uair on the ground to pop enemies up for a combo, but that'll naturally only work on opponents tall enough to be hit by Uair while grounded.

Be sure to switch to Uthrow instead of Dthrow once your opponent is above 20%, or feel free to use exclusively Uthrow to stale it for keeping it able to combo for a little longer.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
The problem is that unless you start footstooling or doing down tilt back air one frame links you're only going to hit 2-3 hit combos. The thing about it is that Ike gains stage control AND reward off those little 2-3 hit combos when Ike is doing 10 damage a hit, even on his frame 7, safe on shield down tilt which combos into back air at low-mid percents and into f-air up until KO percent based on enemy position if they are lower than Ike. N-Air is one of our best combo starters, which can combo into kill moves like up air and f-air based on falling speed and how meaty we hit N-Air. Ike gets 2 hits and does what Mario does in 5.

D

Deleted member 269706

Nair > Jab
(Nair) > Jab1 > Dtilt > Fair
(Nair) > Jab1 > Jab2 > Dtilt > Fair
Nair > Bair (hit enemy underneath Ike)
Nair > Ftilt
Uthrow > Fair
Bthrow > Dash attack (if missed tech)
Autocanceled QD > Dtilt > Utilt - works around 10%
Autocanceled QD > Dtilt > Bair > Grab (> Pummel?) > Uthrow > Fair - around 10% [VID]
When on ledge...drop off, Aether (catch ledge, do not land on it) > ledge jump > Uair or Fair depending on DI

I can pull most of these off pretty consistently except for the second to last one...that takes a lot of practice haha.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
There's also specific reads you can get that Ryo uses a lot.

Ryo reads air dodges and gets things like N-Air -> F-Smash or up smash all the time. It's something people can use after you get down all the guaranteed links. The most important thing for Ike it playing the neutral game so you can get these hits, which lead into 20+ damage links.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
D-throw --> Any aerial

This is a guaranteed set-up against virtually the entire cast from 0% to low percent. As mentioned by Arrei, start using U-throw once D-throw launches opponents too far.

U-throw --> F-air

Near the ledges this can kill confirm at high percent; it is especially very potent versus fast-fallers, like Roy. The improved hitbox placements on F-air from 1.0.8. helps this set-up immensely.

D-throw --> U-smash

It is not as flexible against a vast majority of the cast as D-throw to any aerial, but it still works on a good number of characters at 0%, like Link and Falcon.

N-air/U-air --> D-tilt --> B-air

Thanks to the 3 frame landing lag reduction to both aerials in 1.0.8, they can now a true combo into D-tilt. D-tilt to B-air is rather difficult to pull off, but it true combos at considerably earlier percents, compared to D-tilt to F-air. I was even able to get this to register as a true combo on Link from 0% in Training Mode.

D-air (meteor hitbox) --> F-air/B-air/U-air

Much like N-air and U-air, the 3 frame landing lag reduction to D-air makes this easier. At the right percent and no teching, successfully landing the meteor on ground opponents will send them upwards, putting them in a perfect position to follow up with an aerial, which can KO when performed near ledges.

^-^

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
So to get comfortable with the characters FAF and movement in general, I tried to compile a small combo list.
Everything is on Sheik, no rage, no DI.

0%-15% FF nAir > dTilt
11%-26% FF nAir > fTilt
7%-40% FF nAir > uTilt
0%-20% FF nAir > jab combo
28%-92% FF nAir > fAir
35%-71% FF nAir > uAir
23%-57% falling RAR nAir > bAir
30%-60% dTilt > fAir
0%-19% landing uAir > uTilt
0%-46% landing uAir > fAir
0%-39% landing uAir > bAir
22%-40% landing uAir > uAir
0%-28% dThrow > uAir
15%-93% uThrow > fAir

Please tell me if something is completely off.
I'd also like to know how to properly do dThrow > foodstool > dAir
No matter what I do, the dAir doesn't reach. Do I have to double fast fall?

Nvm, got it to work.

Last edited:

Elixar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zer0Requiem
Please tell me if something is completely off.
I'd also like to know how to properly do dThrow > foodstool > dAir
No matter what I do, the dAir doesn't reach. Do I have to double fast fall?

Nvm, got it to work.
Didn't know you played Ike.
How did you get the dthrow > footstool > dair to work? I can't get it to work at all .-. I'm also terrible at rising footstools. If I get the footstool I end up going way too high.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
How did you get the dthrow > footstool > dair to work? I can't get it to work at all .-. I'm also terrible at rising footstools. If I get the footstool I end up going way too high.
Maybe just double tap jump real quick instead of holding it?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
dThrow > IDJ > foodstool > FF > dAir
You need to really jump into the opponent, not just slightly next to him. Jumping on the legs doesn't work.
It's a bit tricky so try to change up your positioning a bit. Also set the npc in training mode to second player so they fall straight down and you can see if you got the dAir hit right because they won't stand up if you didn't.
Also you can't immediately FF after the footstool. Use that time to rearrange yourself properly.

Elixar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zer0Requiem
dThrow > IDJ > foodstool > FF > dAir
You need to really jump into the opponent, not just slightly next to him. Jumping on the legs doesn't work.
It's a bit tricky so try to change up your positioning a bit. Also set the npc in training mode to second player so they fall straight down and you can see if you got the dAir hit right because they won't stand up if you didn't.
Also you can't immediately FF after the footstool. Use that time to rearrange yourself properly.
Ahh, I see, I was trying to FF too early after the footstool which was messing everything up, thanks for that.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
No joke, all Ike needs ARE those dtilt and nair starter combos. Seriously, at the right spacing Ike's pressure with nair and dtilt alone is absolutely terrifying. You can just bully people super hard with those two moves, it almost feels like you're playing an airdash fighter sometimes when they're blocking you lol, Ike has legit blockstrings.

I was playing vs people in locals a while back and every time I'd get them backed up to the ledge, I'd just stand at the edge of my reach and do nair into dtilt into jabs on their shield, and you can almost break it with just that string alone. If you break up your jab and stop after jab 1 and 2 you can mix your opponent up or reset into another short hop nair and then they're really in trouble since they have no choice but to find a way out. And if you hit with nair or dtilt you are getting pretty much a guaranteed 20+ percent on your opponent plus throwing them offstage (fair followup).

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
theres 1 about 50% combo on ike that i've still yet to master, its a true combo, that works on i think about 70% of the cast. its really hard to get the timing down.

its the down throw/upthrow footstool combo. but there are so many strings off the footstool its not even funny, you can even get a regrab off.

essentially, if you just drop down to them without using your down air (maybe because they DI'd it, you can cover a solid 3 getup options out of 4. honestly it doesn't seem super worth it, but mindgames are how you win the game, and forcing them into uncomfortable positions can be a means to this end.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Nair > Jab
(Nair) > Jab1 > Dtilt > Fair
(Nair) > Jab1 > Jab2 > Dtilt > Fair
Nair > Bair (hit enemy underneath Ike)
Nair > Ftilt
Uthrow > Fair
Bthrow > Dash attack (if missed tech)
Autocanceled QD > Dtilt > Utilt - works around 10%
Autocanceled QD > Dtilt > Bair > Grab (> Pummel?) > Uthrow > Fair - around 10% [VID]
When on ledge...drop off, Aether (catch ledge, do not land on it) > ledge jump > Uair or Fair depending on DI

I can pull most of these off pretty consistently except for the second to last one...that takes a lot of practice haha.
Is the re-grab guaranteed in the second to last combo?

Top Bottom