• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Heavy Character

Best Heavy Weight

• Bowser

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Dedede

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Ike

Votes: 69 39.9%
  • Wario

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Donkey kong

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Samus

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Bowser junior

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Charizard

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • ROB

Votes: 15 8.7%

• Total voters

a dog

Smash Cadet
As of right now, Donkey Kong. But should they take his cargo up throw combo setups away then I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Now... If it were just the three heaviest characters (Bowser, DK, and Dedede), Donkey Kong would be the best. He is really fast for a character of his size and weight, and he has a pretty versatile air and grab game.

But with the addition of those other characters, I would say that Ike is the best. He does have some quick moves and good follow-ups, as well as a good punish game with his powerful smash attacks.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
DK has all of these things, too. :p
Yeah, that's true, but I feel that he fares slightly worse due to him being a bigger target, and ergo being easier to hit. Other than that, yeah, DK is still pretty good, at least from what I saw in some tournament matches.

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
Dededefinitely Dedede. Not because of the stuff he can or can't do, but because he is King Dedede.
Really, I am not the one to analyze the characters and do tier lists, but i have king dedede mains' ultimate power of fact ignoring, and thus I claiM that King dedede is the heavyweight to rule them all.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
:4myfriends: > :4dk: > :4ganondorf: = :4charizard: > :4bowser: > :4dedede:
No doubt about it. Ike is good at just about everything apart from being juggle prone and can hang with anyone. DK is a mid tier with a ridonkulous combo game but is also held back by classic heavy weaknesses far more than Ike. Ganon and Zard are fairly mediocre characters with issues vs. top tiers, but nevertheless have great punish games and enough good tools to generally hold up if you've got the patience for them. Bowser and Dedede aren't much worse than them, but their flaws are greater and they feel a bit more restricted in terms of how they can play. Dedede in particular struggles to beat defensive play.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Ganondorf: 3 votes
Samus: 2 votes
I know that these numbers are small, but really? I'm surprised these guys have any votes.

Anyways, I just think that DK, if played well, has some really good matchups with the high tiers, and as such he is the most viable in the current meta. Maybe Ike is a better character overall, but I think that his matchups with the most commonly played characters are worse, so that makes him worse in my opinion. (Disclaimer: I have no idea if these matchups are true, I am going off of my best guesses). Leaving out matchups I have no idea whether Ike or DK is better, but neither can be left out.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The obvious answer is Ike, this would probably make for a better discussion if we limited to Super Heavies. Then again, DK probably wins that by a good margin.
..uh...Ganon & DDD are better than DK by a Super Margin...dude what game are u playing?
Are we playing the same game?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The buffs Charizard's been getting have really propelled him in my eyes. His biggest flaws are gone (Flare Blitz doing like 15-20% every time it's used, low jumps and laggy aerials), and he's gotten a few great buffs along with it (a combo throw, kill throw, better recovery and less lag on his dash attack). He's definitely better than DK now, no doubt; and honestly, I think he's rivaling Ike as the best heavy. Dedede is probably the worst heavy if only because he still has the issue Charizard used to; his midair jumps aren't the greatest and he has little in the way of horizontal recovery options.

In my opinion, the list is sort of like this;

:4myfriends: > :4charizard: > :4dk: >:4bowser: = :4ganondorf: >:4dedede:

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
..uh...Ganon & DDD are better than DK by a Super Margin...dude what game are u playing?
Are we playing the same game?

Are you being sarcastic? I hope so, because you're making a fool of yourself insulting me and acting like a know it all when you're plain wrong. I'm struggling to find even 10 character DDD is better than.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Yeah, Dedede is pretty bad now. Taking customs into account, he's still the worst heavy in the game, too; none of his customs really do anything for his crippling issues. Ike doesn't have great customs, either, but he still has a solid kit anyways that doesn't really need improvement. Dragon Rush, Dash Slash and Wizard's Dropkick are such great moves that they drastically alter the playing field.

Here's the heavy ranking with customs on;
:4charizard: > :4bowser: = :4ganondorf: > :4myfriends: >:4dk: > :4dedede:

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I thought custom DK was really good too, wasn't it? I don't know how he stacks up to :4charizard: :4bowser: and :4ganondorf: but he is better than customs :4myfriends: right? Ike and DDD are the only heavies that gain little from customs.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I thought custom DK was really good too, wasn't it? I don't know how he stacks up to :4charizard: :4bowser: and :4ganondorf: but he is better than customs :4myfriends: right? Ike and DDD are the only heavies that gain little from customs.
Custom :4dk: is mostly considered to be really good because of Kong Cyclone, though; otherwise, you hear very little of DK's other "amazing" customs.

:4charizard:, :4bowser: and :4ganondorf: all have really good custom moves with only a few real duds on top of a decent moveset by default. :4charizard: has Dragon Rush, :4bowser: has Dash Slash and :4ganondorf:has Wizard's Dropkick, to name one example for each of them. :4myfriends: and :4dedede: don't get much from customs, yes, but their base kit is so good that the customs are sidegrades more than anything; so they don't suffer due to a dearth of good customs.

TJTheRager

Smash Rookie
NNID
tjtherager
From your voting poll.... ROB is the "best" because of his versatility including: damage racking, setups, killing power, recovery, projectiles, setups...you can definitely space things like down tilts and up airs....

Can someone explain to me why Ike is "better" than ROB though lol? Or has no one seen Mr. Eric? Or maybe some Ike player is better than him lol...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
From your voting poll.... ROB is the "best" because of his versatility including: damage racking, setups, killing power, recovery, projectiles, setups...you can definitely space things like down tilts and up airs...
:4charizard: does have all of the same options, though, and is faster on the ground, to boot. :4myfriends: only lacks in recovery and projectiles, too. :4rob: is good, but he is not great; he's outclassed by other heavies in some ways. Versatility =/= being the best if you are outclassed by others in that area.

EleH

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbguy13
3DS FC
3136-7287-8530
I say :4wario:, his mobility and Waft make any character run for their money. Chomp is annoying too, which I'd argue is the best special grab in the game.

Other wise, I'd would say maybe :4myfriends:. I think he's a bit overrated, but he has potential.

TJTheRager

Smash Rookie
NNID
tjtherager
:4charizard: does have all of the same options, though, and is faster on the ground, to boot. :4myfriends: only lacks in recovery and projectiles, too. :4rob: is good, but he is not great; he's outclassed by other heavies in some ways. Versatility =/= being the best if you are outclassed by others in that area.
Is that why no one picks Charizard lol? (I'm not hating, I pick Charizard the MOST). His recovery CAN be literal dookie depending on how below the stage he is....where ROB can recover from virtually any low blast zone. Yes Charizard is faster on the ground but ROB's projectiles and spacing tools can zone Charizard out in that case. Or maybe I'm just a horrible Charizard cause I'm damn sure not going to get away with my 3829382972 frame cooldown on *some* of my rather powerful moves lol. I agree with you on Ike though. The fact that he's fast when it comes to attacking can make him a huge threat.

One Punch Derk

Smash Cadet
It's tough, but I'd say DK.
-He has stupid good grab combos that are also KO setups.
-As previously mentioned, his Bair is amazing.
-A situational 72% combo, which is insane if you compare to the rest of the cast. (I can't think of any other character that has anything like that, unless you count footstool infinites)
^ That one combo put most characters at KO% since DK is such a heavy-hitter.
If the DK player can actually get consistent grabs, then that makes him an automatic threat.
I think DK is probably the easiest of the heavies to be good with.
Also DK is pretty fast...

Last edited:

Rohaun

Smash Rookie
I'd say it would be close between :4myfriends: and :4dk:, but imo it's definitely :4dk:.

• Really good B-air which is really useful when zoning
  • Grab combos out the wazoo
  • A 72% combo that is straight up madness, as shown by Mew2King vs. Ryo
  • Has good momentum for a supper-heavyweight character
  • A really good dash attack
  • A punch that has super armor

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I think someone should run a second poll with the "real" heavy characters.

Ike, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Dedede

I wouldn't consider characters like Link, Samus, Ryu, etc. to be heavy at all.

Troykv

Smash Master
I think someone should run a second poll with the "real" heavy characters.

Ike, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Dedede

I wouldn't consider characters like Link, Samus, Ryu, etc. to be heavy at all.
When someone talk about "Super Heavy characters" (aka: The Real Heavies), only Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Bowser and Dedede count.

*OCTO*

Smash Rookie
NNID
OctopusCrime
3DS FC
3437-3048-3276
I think DK and Ike are probably most apparently the best but Dedede and Bowser both have a ton of untapped potential.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Bowser's probably the best superheavy right now, but outside of superheavies the best is undoubtedly Ike. I love fighting for my friends. :4myfriends:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
If we're going by actual heavies instead of just fatties it probably goes like this:

Top: :4ryu:
High: :4falcon::4wario2::4myfriends::4yoshi::4rob:
Middle: :4bowser::4dk::4megaman:(power gap):4bowserjr::4link::4charizard:
Low:
:4samus::4dedede::4ganondorf:

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
:4dedede::4myfriends:I personally like Dedede the best he is hard to beat down and fun. But overall the average joe could probably win the most matches with Ike . My dream heaviest character would be .... RIDLEY :samus:!!!!

Racer07

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterSeven
3DS FC
3797-7378-1855
I think Bowser's freaking fast and carries all his weight into his attacks well. I would have voted for Ganondorf, but he has awful recovery.

Top Bottom