• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best HardCore or RockBands out there...(Post any,Metal,PostHardcore,Screamo,Emo Band)

saberhof

Smash Master
oh i thought of more awsome bands
Every time i Die
It dies today
Norma Jean
The Red Chord
Shadows fall
Satyricon
Superjoint ritual
Devil Driver
Unearth
The bled....(tell me If i already mentioned some of these...) :)

And yeah some bands have very short songs like The locust mostly 1 minute or less..

$sD = those are some cool bands, how could i forget Killwhitneydead :( ...

Edit: I already mentioned 2 of those(It dies today, Unearth)...

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
well, some awesome bands have already been mentioned, but i'll just mention them again just to make it seem like i didn't read this thread.

the blood brothers
the number 12 looks like you
horse the band

stuff people haven't mentioned yet:

envy
the pyramids
angel hair
kill sadie
ad astra per aspera
against me! (their stuff from before as the eternal cowboy. it was an awesome mix of punk, folk and hardcore)
glassjaw

emo that doesn't suck:

cursive
american football
slow reader
fine china
sunny day real estate (their first record, diary)
appleseed cast

also, i think this whole debate about what is what is stupid. music is music, who the hell cares? i was going to post something really lengthy, but then i decided to just **** it and go drink whiskey instead.

saberhof

Smash Master
I think some of the people that are talking bad about this type of music r posting cause they want other people to hate this music.
I dont see many diefrences in music, maybe rythm, sound, voice..but tahts it
Everyone shouldnt care about how good a song is, or how bad is a band for playing or their image, they should just like the **** music!!...point made i guees...

if not then, screw u guys...

JFox

Smash Hero
I completely disagree. If you know enough about music, there really a big difference in terms of complexity and talent that is put into music. Its not just- well if you are real creative, you can make music. It takes talent and dedication, its not just notes randomly thrown together and than listening to how it comes it.

There is a certain amount of opinion to music, but than there really is a certain amount of fact to it as well. Bach was truely a genius, even if you are not intelligent enough to realize it. Unearth, Atreyu, and every other mediocre metal band who will not last more than a decade- nothing special. Its not just an opinion-its acknowledged by every knowledgable musician.

Edit- To clarify, I am saying the EXACT opposite opinion as Delorted. Catchy tunes will come and go, only the complex is appreciated for decades.

D

Deleted member

I have no idea what JFox just said, but I'll add my two cents in.

[rant]

I'm just pissed when people hear, for example, a Franz Ferdinand song, and they go, "Dude, ****ing easy, I could do a G chord all day. This is garbage."

Who cares if it's easy to play? If it sounds good, then listen to it. I just hate it when people say,
"They suck because they play easy music, now listen to this music that takes skill"

If you can play a G chord all day, then do it, then make a catchy album and become famous.

Don't care about how difficult it was to play, just care about if you like listening to it or not

saberhof

Smash Master
wow what a great example...bach...i seriously dont care about your opinion on this music, i can see you dont like it...somehow...but knw that i realy know about music, i have my own band, it does take dedication and skills or whatever, but you have to love it to enjoy it not just how easy it is to play(even if you dont play chords), or how much you have to practice to know a song, you just have to love music. and for me this music is gonna last my whole life.

D

Deleted member

JFox said:
Edit- To clarify, I am saying the EXACT opposite opinion as Delorted. Catchy tunes will come and go, only the complex is appreciated for decades.

That's total garbage. Look at The Beatles. Their songs were extremely easy to play, yet they're still very popular. And ****, they have been for decades.

I agree that generally the more complex is appreciated, but you have to understand, that's usually classical music.

But anyway, who cares if the catchy tunes leave? They had a good run. Again, if it sounds good, listen to it. Don't be a musical elitist, don't care if the music took skill to play or not, because that's just annoying, and you're only missing out

Who is saberhof siding with?

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
well non-mainstream rock sucks. end of story
reggae, hip-Hop, R&b own in every way.

but I'm since I don't wanna sound like a racist i will partake in this discussion, since no one rplied in the rap topics.

Now Linkin parkk Pawns= EVERy other rock band in history period

Now being black, all the guys in my school except for like 3 weirdos who listen to sucky bands like Disturbed and other demonic crazy sounding marylon manson lookin artists, don't care about rock at all
BUT

rock that I've gotten into ainclude but are not limited to
Evanescence(They sound good), trapt(Headstrong is one of the best songs ever), Papa roach, (I only like one song from his, put cut my life into pieces was great0, yellow Card is good, and Greendays for the most part

saberhof

Smash Master
here we go again, linkin park does not pwn all other rock bands in history
im gonna tell you some stuff so you learn:
1.-the song is Last Resort by Papa roach
2.-its Green Day
3.-Color isnt a factor
Now Being black
4.-Linkin Park isnt a type of rock that would be considerd Historic its almost rap..

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
jfox, you don't know what you're talking about. you need to calm down. you're good at making my blood boil.

first off, complexity in music means nothing if, at the end of the day, the music sucks. have you heard mars volta's "frances the mute?" it was exponentially more complex than bach and it was still ****ty music. bach isn't even complex. i played piano for 5 years and bach was a n00b. actually, i ****ing hate bach. if he were still around, i'd probably pay my friend to have sex with his wife or something. i'm so ****ing glad he's dead. i'm going to find out where he's buried so i can exume his corpse and mung it. then i'll probably take his femur and beat people silly with it. actually, after that comment about not being smart enough to understand bach, i kind of wanna beat you with it!

also, there's plenty of hardcore, mathcore, and post-hardcore that's complex as hell. angel hair, ad astra per aspera, kill sadie, mogwai, etc. they do crazy **** with serialism, math composition, and other innovative ways to write music. there are bands that do way more experimental and complex things than bach ever did.

but seriously, all music aside, bach was a terrible person. i'm talking like amoral satan worshipper here. did you know that he had sex with young boys? yeah, that's ****ing right, he did. he said it got the creative juices flowing. also he murdered his mom when she said she didn't like one of his songs very much. he was ****ing sick.

also, jfox, for once in your ****ing life, could you please cite your ****ing sources? you claim that "every knowledgeble musician" agrees that bach will live on forever and ever in our hearts and minds, and music today is garbage. that's a complete crock of crap. i'm not sure who brainwashed you into sucking bach's ****, but why don't you try getting off it? i know personally musicians who are much more knowlegdeble than you are that can embrace all sorts of music. i think you're a terrible human being. if i were to ever have kids, i probably wouldn't want them playing near you because you might eat them or something.

in conclusion, in all of history, i'm more glad that bach is dead than anyone else.

p.s. avenged sevenfold is garbage.

p.s.s. you act like you know **** about music, but you don't know the difference between hardcore and metal? god! you failure! don't ever talk to me again!

p.s.s.s. i'll never pm you so you can tell me about your "excellent" bands! you got me so angry all i wanna do now is break ****!

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
i loved de-loused in the comatorium to death. i loved downloading their live shows where they played songs from that album even more. but frances the mute sounded like they were trying so hard to incorporate elements from their live stuff into their album, but it just didn't work. i dunno, i guess, overall, it just felt like they were kind of selling out and kind of trying too hard to make art. in my opinion their major musical folly on frances was that they just couldn't decide between being a progressive rock band and a math rock band. although somehow they got the two theories of music to jive on comatorium, it felt like frances was being split in two. they tried to increase the technical level of music they played, but they waaaaaaaaaaaaay overproduced the album (especially the vocals) and just went kind of nuts in a bad way. the songs were so much more boring than on comatorium, so the album seemed to drone on forever even though it was only 5 songs long (of course there was that 30 minute beast of a song in there). frances the mute just isn't my cup of tea.

but even if you disagree with that, murder by death's in bocca al lupo is another fine example of complex music that just sucks. i loved them so much before that album dropped this year. so ****ing much. they had such a unique, powerful, and haunting sound. they put on the best live show of any band i've ever seen. the only band t-shirt i own is a murder by death shirt. but still, the record sucks. sure, it's got energy. but it lacks the raw truth of the previous albums. it sounds sterile and corporate as opposed to a mixture of a western movie and a horror film. it was the biggest musical disappointment of this year, at least to me.

JFox

Smash Hero
Hah, that was a bit harsh man. But nevertheless, I have to agree with you. I was being stupid by making such ridiculous statements. I now look back and see how I even disagree with myself to an extent. I really do think that complexity is usually more appreciated, but only because of its originality.

After I wrote it, I thought about all that had been said, and realized that I was very wrong. I really do like some music that isn't all that complex, but has a lot to it that make up its individuality. (Like system of a down for example) I just like creativity is all, and I really dislike most simple music because its often very unoriginal. But that is my own opinion, and I was stupid to try to claim that it was the whole worlds.

But I really do think Bach was a genius though, and his life outside of music doesn't take away from that.

ps You never cited your sources, and I would really want to look into them about all that Bach stuff. And you are right about me not citing mine, but it was pretty douche to say "for once" as if I do that sort of thing all the time, as if you know me or something. I may have done it here, but so had you, and I think of myself as a pretty reasonable poster actually.

pss I am sorry I angered you...I guess thats all.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
haha, you didn't anger me, i was just joking around. didn't mean to sound harsh, i was just kidding with you. most of the stuff i said i just meant in a humorous way.

Twiggy

Smash Lord
hardcore - Casey Jones, Attitude, Righteous Jams, Ten Yard Fight, old With Honor, old AFI, The Warriors, Betrayed...

there's some good ones for you.

saberhof

Smash Master
EDIT* Dragonforce Anyone?

As i Lay dying
It Dies Today
The Agony Scene
The Black DAhlia Murder
Atreyu
Mastodon
High On Fire
Unearth
Thrice
Children of Bodom
Corrosion of Conformity
3 inches of blood
Aiden
All that remains
Betwen the buried and me
Bleeding through
Devildriver
The Dilinger escape plan
Every time i die
The Fall of troy
Full blown chaos
Norma Jean
himsa
Killswitch engage
Lamb Of God
Machine Head
The Number 12 looks like you
The Red Chord
Shadows Fall
Silverstein
Superjoint ritual
Systematic
throwdown
UnderOath
The Bled
Converge
Slayer
Avenged Sevenfold
She Wants Revenge
Mudvayne
the Locust
Pig Destroyer
High on fire
The Blood Brothers
Circle Takes The Square
Fear Before The March Of Flames
Funeral for a friend
Showbread
Emery
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Every time i Die
Norma Jean
The Red Chord
Shadows fall
Satyricon
Superjoint ritual
Devil Driver
At the Drive-In
Fugazi
the blood brothers
horse the band
envy
the pyramids
angel hair
kill sadie
ad astra per aspera
against me
glassjaw
cursive
american football
slow reader
fine china
sunny day real estate
appleseed cast
The Mars volta
Casey Jones
Attitude
Righteous Jams
Ten Yard Fight
With Honor
AFI
The Warriors
Betrayed
scary kids scaring kids
Dragonforce
KillwitneyDead

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Avenged Sevenfold (The old avenged sevenfold) [Emo/Hard Rock]
Audioslave [Hard Rock]
Damageplan [Hardcore]
Disturbed [Hard Rock]
Godsmack [Hard Rock]
Killswitch Engage [Hardcore]
KoRn [Hard Rock/Hardcore]
Lamb of God [Hardcore]
Metallica [METAL]
Mudvayne [Hard Rock/Hardcore]
Pantera [Thrash Metal]
Puddle of Mudd [Rock]
Rage Against the Machine* [Industrial Rock/Rap-Rock]
Slipknot [Hardcore]
SoundGarden [Metal]
System of a Down* [Hard Rock, maybe industrial rock]
Tool* [Progressive Rock]
...and many more

* = Personal favorites

Emo Rock - I define this for the people that listen to it. If it's mostly emo's that listen to the band, i'll call it Emo Rock. Lyrics can focus on darkness, halloween type themes, or even destruction.
Example songs: Sry, i don't really listen to it that much to make serious judgements

Rock - Music featuring Electric guitars, loud drums, and a mediocre voiced singer. That's the best i can come up with. Lyrics can include just about any subject matter.
Example Songs: Blurry - Puddle of Mudd, Home - Three Days Grace

Hard Rock - Rock taken to the next level. More experianced instrument players, and a possibly harder lyrics.
Example Songs: Down With the Sickness - Disturbed, Here to Stay - KoRn

Hardcore - Music that consists of about 1/4 singing, and about 3/4 shouting or screaming of the lyrics. Instrument playing is usually either really amazing (Ashes of the Wake by Lamb of God) or there really isn't any emphasis put on the instrument playing as much as the singing (Dig by Mudvayne). Lyrics are usually very violent (who cares though?).
Example Songs: Rose of Sharyn - Killswitch Engage, The Crimson - Atrayu, Imperium - Machine Head, Wait and Bleed - Slipknot

Metal - Rock/Hard Rock/ Hardcore of the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's. There is no particular sound to metal, so i consider it's genre is defined by the era it was in. Contains long and epic songs about just about anything. Musical talant is evident. Need I say more?
Example songs: One - Metallica, Welcome to the Jungle - Guns n' Roses, We're not Gonna Take it - Twisted Sister

Industrial Rock - This definition is pure opinion, so bare with me. To me, industrial rock is Rock who's lyrics (or music videos) preach the problems of our government, our societies, and/or the media. They create a sense of rebellion in the listener. Musical tallant is optional.
Example Songs: almost any Rage Against the Machine song, Boom! - System of a Down

Dekar

Smash Apprentice
prog/power metal ftw

Tool
Dream Theater
Spiral Tower
Zero Hour
Gamma Ray
Helloween
Stratovarious
Symphony X
Alchemy X
Aftermath
Digital Ruin
Evergray
Fates Warning
Green Carnation
Dragon Force
Iced Earth
Demons and Wizards
Hammerfall
Blind Guardian
Grim Reaper
Riot
Nightwish
Children of Bodem
Dimmu Borgir

Old RPGS and Side scrollers used a lot of power metal in their music.

Final fantasy, Megaman, Ys, Sword of Mana, Romancing Saga

look online for a band called Hellion Sounds, they do covers of all of the above. Its real savage metal.

saberhof

Smash Master
Emo Rock - I define this for the people that listen to it. If it's mostly emo's that listen to the band, i'll call it Emo Rock. Lyrics can focus on darkness, halloween type themes, or even destruction.
Example songs: Sry, i don't really listen to it that much to make serious judgements

Rock - Music featuring Electric guitars, loud drums, and a mediocre voiced singer. That's the best i can come up with. Lyrics can include just about any subject matter.
Example Songs: Blurry - Puddle of Mudd, Home - Three Days Grace

Hard Rock - Rock taken to the next level. More experianced instrument players, and a possibly harder lyrics.
Example Songs: Down With the Sickness - Disturbed, Here to Stay - KoRn

Hardcore - Music that consists of about 1/4 singing, and about 3/4 shouting or screaming of the lyrics. Instrument playing is usually either really amazing (Ashes of the Wake by Lamb of God) or there really isn't any emphasis put on the instrument playing as much as the singing (Dig by Mudvayne). Lyrics are usually very violent (who cares though?).
Example Songs: Rose of Sharyn - Killswitch Engage, The Crimson - Atrayu, Imperium - Machine Head, Wait and Bleed - Slipknot

Metal - Rock/Hard Rock/ Hardcore of the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's. There is no particular sound to metal, so i consider it's genre is defined by the era it was in. Contains long and epic songs about just about anything. Musical talant is evident. Need I say more?
Example songs: One - Metallica, Welcome to the Jungle - Guns n' Roses, We're not Gonna Take it - Twisted Sister

Industrial Rock - This definition is pure opinion, so bare with me. To me, industrial rock is Rock who's lyrics (or music videos) preach the problems of our government, our societies, and/or the media. They create a sense of rebellion in the listener. Musical tallant is optional.
Example Songs: almost any Rage Against the Machine song, Boom! - System of a Down

Yeah you dont need to do that

Have we mentioned all Hardcore,grindcore,noise,Metal bands? :urg:

From First to last! woh.

Dekar

Smash Apprentice
Tool always gives a great show, im just lucky to live near Lawrence Kansas, so we always get the bomb tool shows.

Theyre playing here twice this year :o, and were one of the only places theyll play third eye.

Fiona_Fairhame

Smash Cadet
near Asheville, NC... would rather be elsewhere th
I love metal!

Savatage
Blind Guardian
Hammerfall
Dragonforce
Stratovarious
Symphony X
Rhapsody
Dream Theater
Nightwish
Sonata Arctica
(I know there's more, but I'm having a bit of a brain fart at the moment...)

These have probably all been named before, but I thought I'd list them anyway. ^_-

Taco Head

Smash Ace
Armor For Sleep
Cute is What We Aim for
A Thorn for Every Heart
Atreyu
Avenged Sevenfold
Bleed The Dream
Bullet For My Valentine
Funeral For A Friend
Hawthorne Heights
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Silverstein
Underoath

Antz

Smash Apprentice
Hardcore bands (Metal)
In Flames
Shadows Fall
As I Lay Dying
Darkest Hour
All That Remains
Trivium
Black Label Society

The Original Oats

Smash Apprentice
1-Pantera
2-Alice in Chains
3-Megadeth
4-Judas Priest
5-Black Sabbath
6-White Zombie
7-Iron Maiden
8-Soulfly
9-Trivium
10-Metallica

Well these are some of my top 10 Favorite bands.........

ScarfSeph13

Smash Cadet
1-Adair
2-Aiden
3-Job For A Cowboy
4-UnderOATH(Mostly Old)
5-Chiodos
6-Bury Your Dead
7-Catherine
8-Funeral For A Friend
9-I Am Ghost
10-Bullet For My Valentine