• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Dual Main Combination?

danieltheboi

Smash Rookie
So obviously the character doesn't make the player; the player makes the player. But in terms of just pure character coverage, what do you think is the best dual main?

In my opinion, it's either:
Sheik/Peach (Sheik does well or well enough against all characters except for IC's, which Peach wrecks)
Sheik/Fox (Fox does well against IC's and Fox)
Fox/Marth

Discuss

spk416

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure PPMD mentioned in an interview that he believes Fox/Marth is the way to go if you want to dual-main.

Marth to deal with spacies and Fox for everything else like Peach and Puff.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
You could dual main pretty much any two of the top tiers and get some benefit out of it. Even if they share a disadvantageous MU (or one that you're uncomfortable with), you'll be getting more insight into how the MU should be played between the two characters, and have two ways of approaching it based on what skills you presently feel on point with.

:foxmelee: + :marthmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee::falconmelee:
:marthmelee: + :foxmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee::falconmelee:
:falcomelee: + :foxmelee::marthmelee::falconmelee:
:sheikmelee: + :foxmelee::marthmelee::falconmelee::peachmelee:
^all combinations that I've seen at least somewhat frequently. Players who main pretty much any char below that try to have one of the top 4 as one of their mains. A lot of these choices have to do more with comfort/similarities in movement, spacing, options, character strengths, etc. For example...Sheik+Falcos aren't very common. Probably because they differ in every one of those factors. That doesn't mean less common ones don't work though lol. Zhu manages, and one of the better players in my region uses the pair too.

So if you're lost and trying to pick between a few characters...keep the 1-2 character(s) that feel most comfortable to you right now. If neither are in the top 4, pick up whichever top tier feels most comfortable movement-wise, or - even if they aren't - whichever plays similarly to your other mains (spacing/options/etc.), since you can just adjust to the movement with time. If none seem like a good fit, keep playing the top 4 chars as pockets for friendlies and practicing tech. Over time, you'll be sure to start finding one more comfortable than the others, and maybe have it outgrow your lower tiers (which you should still keep, if they can keep up; competent mid+ tiers can help if you're getting outplayed in common top tier MUs). You'll reach a point where even if you have 1-3 decisive mains, you can and should be able to play most high/top tiers at least somewhat competently, if only to explore and be more aware of their options.​

TL;DR: The disadvantageous MUs of the top 4 characters balance out a bit more as you get better. Since the whole point of dual maining is that you're able to play any MU just as competently with either character (excepting the worst of your MUs, for below-top-4 characters), combinations shouldn't be heavily influenced by MU spreads. What's more important is being able to play them both competently/comfortably, and being able to rely on a second option if you're getting outplayed or flubbing up with the other.

Last edited:

Nox.

Smash Rookie
Are you asking for an opinion or the physically evident combo?

In my opinion the bird duo is the most fun (Falco/Falcon), but I think it's pretty obvious that Fox/Marth would be the best combination. While Fox covers most matchups, he's still even with Falco, Marth, and Samus. Marth would fix the Samus matchup, and would have a much easier time beating the spacies depending on your play style.

That last part is crucial though. Play style really makes a difference here. With a campy fox, you can take out pretty much anyone. But you could also have an aggressive fox and very safe marth if you're worried more about the other player than the character. This is why east vs west coast mentalities are really important in match ups.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I personally think that the best combo is Spacie/Semifloatie (PPMD), but Spacie/Floatie is also really good (Armada). Fox/Falco is pretty overrated and only really exists because Mango. But even he generally plays better when he sticks to a single character for the whole tournament.

TL;DR: The disadvantageous MUs of the top 4 characters balance out a bit more as you get better. Since the whole point of dual maining is that you're able to play any MU just as competently with either character (excepting the worst of your MUs, for below-top-4 characters), combinations shouldn't be heavily influenced by MU spreads. What's more important is being able to play them both competently/comfortably, and being able to rely on a second option if you're getting outplayed or flubbing up with the other.
I think that this is something important that a lot of people don't realize.

Massive

Smash Champion
Fox/Marth is probably the best combination out there.

Fox already covers every option anyway, and Marth is really only for covering the ditto or maybe falco.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Falco and Jigglypuff are clearly optimal.

Falco's only arguably weak matchups are Ice Climbers, Peach, and MAYBE Sheik. All of who Puff annihilates.

Puff relies on very little technical skill, and focuses entirely on fundamentals. This means that the majority of your mechanical practice can be spent on Falco, further optimizing your toolset.

Why is this even a debate?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Falco and Jigglypuff are clearly optimal.

Falco's only arguably weak matchups are Ice Climbers, Peach, and MAYBE Sheik. All of who Puff annihilates.

Puff relies on very little technical skill, and focuses entirely on fundamentals. This means that the majority of your mechanical practice can be spent on Falco, further optimizing your toolset.

Why is this even a debate?
FalcoPuff is clearly not optimal in situations where the opponent dual mains fox and peach AKA Armada, because you'll have a counter pick war (One that results in a net advantage for the Fox/Peach). Dual maining actually has relatively little to do with match ups in most cases. Read ECHOnce's post above. He explains it better than I can (Even though he says it only applies to the top 4, I think it still applies to most of the viable characters).

Puff and falco also play very differently and playing puff can easily throw off my falco. Source: I'm a Falco main w/Puff secondary (granted that I've been neglecting puff lately)

Top Bottom