• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best difficulty to play Classic mode on

Mephi$to

Smash Rookie
I want a tough difficulty taht is hard but doable for a decent player.

Best I have won on is 6.0 so far but the last boss was pretty tough (i hate the sword form)

I don't know if its a bug or not, but in the ENTIRE classic mode you have 2 lives. If you die in the round before and lose 1, next battle comes around and you have 2 lives again.

It feels a bit cheap to me and a big advantage to the player? What are you thoughts about this any way to disable?

In previous smash games if you lose a life early in the classic mode you lose it for good, and you can set how many lives you begin the journey with.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Nope, lack of customizability is a thing sadly. It's part of the challenge. You have 2 lives to beat every individual challenge with, no matter how difficult or easy. So there's no real "saving up lives for the later battles" like in the past games.

Personally, I prefer the old system since it actually matters how well you do on the earlier battles. But this seems very intentional.

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
I do agree. Only having 2 lives per stage is a bit dumb. It was better when you got to set your lives (so if you wanted to have a healthy amount for Master Core or wanted to see how far you could get with one life, you could).

It does add to the challenge a bit. Losing one stock in a match really makes you watch what you do so that you don't end up with a Game Over and lose some items. In that regard, I guess it balances out.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't have the Wii U version yet because Europe, but in the 3DS version, I went through Classic on 7.5 with most characters, without using a continue. So I'd say go with 6.5 to 7.0 if you want decent rewards while playing through with every character.

SilverOne777

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverSlaughter
I really like the new masterhands, they are actually a challenge now. They do kind of a taboo thing once the first hand is defeated. I'm still working on memorizing the move patterns and dodging tactics. I've only had a couple days on it so far, but making good progress :)
Personally, i like the 2 lives per round thing, as I'm not wondering whether I'm being cheap or not about the amount of lives I set lol

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what difficulty would correspond to enemies giving and receiving knock back the same as they would in normal multiplayer? 2.0 clearly gives you the advantage and it sounds like 9.0 gives the enemies the advantage but I'm not sure where the break even point is if I want to try to avoid developing too many bad habits for multiplayer.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I'd say for a nice casual runthrough 6.0-7.0 is plenty fine, if you want a challenge or to flex your muscles as a character then 8.5-9.0 is the best way to be.

Personally I feel the two lives per stage thing works really well for higher difficulties, but gives the player a free pass on lower ones since two per level is more than enough. On higher difficulties like 9.0 though you'll be wishing you could have more lives than two.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
8.0-9.0
The only way to play.
Seconded. I start on 9.0 with everyone and see how far I can get. I like to see how many characters I can make it through Master Fortress with (21 so far). Also, there is a challenge to beat Classic on 7.0 or higher with all characters, so it works toward that as well.

Top Bottom