• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Controllers?

Kungfucius

Smash Rookie
Hello Smashboards.

I used to play a lot of Smash brothers a few years ago, but I stopped. I want to get back into it and I need to get a good controller. I used to have original Gamecube controllers, but I don't have them anymore so I need to buy new ones. What are the best controllers to buy for someone who is used to the controllers that came with the Gamecube? I see that Nintendo still makes some, but I hear that they are a bit different in feel from the original ones. Is my best bet just to try and find some pre-owned Gamecube ones?

Maysh

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
You should ask on local facebook groups. I got mine super cheap from older guy (about 5$). He didnt even realise that these controllers are quite expensive in eastern europe haha

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
Instead of shelling out $70 for a Pro Controller (rip off in my opinion), I spent $20 for a Bluetooth adapter so that I could use my Dual Shock 4 controller because I like PS4 controllers more than asymmetrical controllers.
You could also buy an adapter for the GameCube controller (which is my favorite Nintendo controller and goes well with Smash Ultimate).

Pretty much, any controller will work for Smash Ultimate as long as you know what you are looking for, and how you will get it to work.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
With pre-owned controllers you run the risk of them wearing out faster. I would just get a new one. I haven't heard anything about the newly-manufactured GC controllers being any different from the old ones, but I'll keep an eye out as I'm planning to get one soon as well.

I hear high praise for the Pro Controller as well, so if you could get used to not playing on a Gamecube one, from the sound of it they're also perfectly viable.

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
With pre-owned controllers you run the risk of them wearing out faster. I would just get a new one.
Yes, that is very true. I have been playing on the same DualShock controllers for 3 years, and my GameCube controllers for more than 10 (one has already broke). I'd rather use my pre-owned controllers than buy new ones, simply because I am really cheap (also why I haven't bought Fighter's Pass). If my DualShock breaks, I'll just buy a new one over buying a Pro Controller because there is a price difference.

Used controllers wearing out is a good point though, and you run the risk of a dud product if you buy something from a 3rd-party seller.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I read mixed comments about third party controllers. Would you recommend any of them like Hori PDP or power A?
I have a pro controller and find it pretty good. However I would like to buy 1 or 2 more and I find the pro controller expensive, especially considering that I have zero interest in wireless, amibo and rumble functions. Unfortunately I am not sure third party controllers are really reliable.

Last edited:

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
I read mixed comments about third party controllers. Would you recommend any of them like Hori PDP or power A?
I have a pro controller and find it pretty good. However I would like to buy 1 or 2 more and I find the pro controller expensive, especially considering that I have zero interest in wireless, amibo and rumble functions. Unfortunately I am not sure third party controllers are really reliable.
Me personally, I use adapters instead of 3rd-party controllers, as they are cheaper and you can use controllers from other consoles (like Xbox 1 and PS4). Only problem is that you have to have a controller as well.
If you do decide to go down the 3rd-party controller route, my advice is to make sure that you check online reviews of the product to make sure it is legit, and that it has a 4 stars rating or higher.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Was almost ready to order a GC controller + adaptor but the official one does not have better review scores than the Hori one. Both get 4/5 stars on the amazing website with a minority of negative comments raising some concerns about the reliability of these controllers. Considering the huge price difference, I'm now thinking ordering the Hori controller. What do you think guys?

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
Was almost ready to order a GC controller + adaptor but the official one does not have better review scores than the Hori one. Both get 4/5 stars on the amazing website with a minority of negative comments raising some concerns about the reliability of these controllers. Considering the huge price difference, I'm now thinking ordering the Hori controller. What do you think guys?
I would go with the Hori controller. I went ahead and looked at the reviews for the controller, and they were mostly positive. Just keep in mind that since it's a Hori controller, you do not need an adapter.

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
There's no such thing as a good, cheap controller.
Have you ever heard of a sale or discount?
You do have a good point, tbh. In my experience, cheapo controllers only last me for 6 months before they either stop responding or break. I've never tried a Hori product, so maybe it will be different...

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Personally, I've never used an off-brand console controller that matched the original, and precision input is something I consider more crucial for Smash than for any other game I play.

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
Personally, I've never used an off-brand console controller that matched the original, and precision input is something I consider more crucial for Smash than for any other game I play.
That's why I only invest in adapters. Me and my friends have horror stories over 3rd party controllers being very laggy and sometimes not responding.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that even if you accept to pay let's say five times the cost of a Hori controller and go for a GC controller+adaptor , you don't get a better product according to available reviews on the amazing website.

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
The problem is that even if you accept to pay let's say five times the cost of a Hori controller and go for a GC controller+adaptor , you don't get a better product according to available reviews on the amazing website.
I looked at the Hori reviews and they seem to honor their return policy, so I think you should buy the Hori console, and if it doesn't work, then just return it and buy the 1st-party brand.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
In addition it looks like the price of the GCC has inscreased a lot. In some reviews written a couple of months ago people say the price was 30 USD (similar to the Hori controller), I don't know if that is true but now it is 70 USD. Since the technology involved in the GCC is somewhat simpler than the pro controller this appears pretty unfair from Nintendo to me. And while about 80% of people are happy with this controller, some claim it is not as good as the original.
The Hori seems to be a good pick to me.

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
In addition it looks like the price of the GCC has inscreased a lot. In some reviews written a couple of months ago people say the price was 30 USD (similar to the Hori controller), I don't know if that is true but now it is 70 USD. Since the technology involved in the GCC is somewhat simpler than the pro controller this appears pretty unfair from Nintendo to me. And while about 80% of people are happy with this controller, some claim it is not as good as the original.
The Hori seems to be a good pick to me.
This is simply Nintendo trying to cash in on nostalgia bait or people like you and me who want the best Smash ultimate experience. I remember buying my GameCube controllers 10 years ago for $20.
I have to agree with you - Hori is the way to go.

Kungfucius

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the input.

I'm pretty picky about how my controllers "feel", so I'm not sure how close the new ones being made by Nintendo like this one here are to the original GC controllers. Mostly positive reviews. I haven't had a chance to pick one up and test it out. Would someone who owns one of these let me know how they like it?

I love HORI, but only for fightsticks. With Smash Bros., its gotta be a Gamecube style controller for me.

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
Thanks for all the input.

I'm pretty picky about how my controllers "feel", so I'm not sure how close the new ones being made by Nintendo like this one here are to the original GC controllers. Mostly positive reviews. I haven't had a chance to pick one up and test it out. Would someone who owns one of these let me know how they like it?

I love HORI, but only for fightsticks. With Smash Bros., its gotta be a Gamecube style controller for me.
I think that the Nintendo GameCube controllers are overpriced, especially since they only work for one game (and GameCube), but you still have to take into consideration on how well it is designed.

NerFox

Smash Cadet
This is probably going to sound stupid but ever since Brawl I used only the Wii remote... When I have Ultimate, what will be the best to get used to and have as main controller? Also is every existing controller for Ultimate usable at tournaments? What about wireless vs wired?

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
This is probably going to sound stupid but ever since Brawl I used only the Wii remote... When I have Ultimate, what will be the best to get used to and have as main controller? Also is every existing controller for Ultimate usable at tournaments? What about wireless vs wired?
Since you used only the Wii remote, if you really like it then you can play with both Joy-cons detached so that it will be a similar experience to Wii remote. Only difference is that you aren't holding the nun-chuck (the one with C-button and Joystick).
I'm not sure about all controllers, but I think that Pro controller, Joy-cons and GameCube are all legal.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I think that the Nintendo GameCube controllers are overpriced, especially since they only work for one game (and GameCube), but you still have to take into consideration on how well it is designed.
The Gamecube controllers work for lots of Switch games, Mario Kart being an example that comes to mind immediately.

Maysh

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
They can be used on PC too.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I have few problems with the pro controller. It feels great in my hands now that I'm used to it. The only thing I would want to be different is an octagonal gate on the sticks. I still find myself sometimes misinputting a turn-around when I do an up- or down-tilt, or I'l accidentally fail to properly B-reverse my Up Special.

Last edited:

NerFox

Smash Cadet
Since you used only the Wii remote, if you really like it then you can play with both Joy-cons detached so that it will be a similar experience to Wii remote. Only difference is that you aren't holding the nun-chuck (the one with C-button and Joystick).
I'm not sure about all controllers, but I think that Pro controller, Joy-cons and GameCube are all legal.
Oh so all controllers are usable at tournaments? Doesnt matter if they're wired or not? I used solely the wii remote without the nunchuck and can tell you that it is not optimal at all tbh.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Brawl was the first Smash game I played, and at the time, I only had Wii Remotes too. That was probably the reason I had never enjoyed the game, cause play this game with the remote was painfull at the time, and because I never had some classic controller on the original Wii, I blamed the game for not having a good gameplay and had not cared about Smash until I give it another chance on the WiiU. Then, I realized that the Wii Remote was the thing that was ruining my experience with Smash, cause I loved Smash4 on the WiiU. Play on the Gamepad or the ProController was totally another experience, much better to adapt. So, I'm now used to the Pro Controller. I can still play with the JoyCons, but they are kind of small and fragile, and I like to punish my controller playing this game without any fear to break it, and the Pro Controller gives me this sensation of a resistant, solid, controller. Never had a gamecube controller, so I dont care about it. Usually, I play with the Pro Controller with my preffered button mapping (changing A and B to jump and X and Y to attacks, and Tilt Up to Jump disabled), because I also can't adapt to the default settings since they (Nintendo) trained me since Super Mario World that A and B are jump buttons, not X or Y!

I wouldn't care about wired controllers, first because I'm not going to be in any tournament, second because I'm not sure it's actually relevant, third because convenience and safety of my console, cause when I reunite friends to play I dont wanna anyone pulling or stumbling on the wires and throwing my console to the ground. And since I have no passion for the GameCube (never had one), I look to the controller and think it just looks kind of ugly to me.

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Received my Hori controller and played some games yesterday. Looks pretty cool, light but not cheap feeling. Definitely very different from the pro controller or even 2-joycons I am used to (button mapping more like a GC controller). Happy with it so far, nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Oh so all controllers are usable at tournaments? Doesnt matter if they're wired or not? I used solely the wii remote without the nunchuck and can tell you that it is not optimal at all tbh.
Check the rules, don't make assumptions.
And since I have no passion for the GameCube (never had one), I look to the controller and think it just looks kind of ugly to me.
That's a shame. I don't really use it anymore, but the GC controller is easily one of the best controller designs that has ever existed. Molded shoulder buttons that your fingers just sink into; great shape and arrangement of the face buttons so your thumb can pivot straight to them; a great feeling pad on the top of the left joystick that your thumb's going to be on the whole time*...

It's not just the nostalgia filter. There's a reason people clamor for the GC controller instead of the N64 one.

* At least, it feels great until your baby sister chews the rubber off. After she grew up I'd sometimes make her use that controller and tease her that she had "customized them to her liking".

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that the best controller is the one that fits you the most. That's as simple as that. Though, I personally find that the GameCube's Controller is the best one. However, it looks like the Switch Pro Controller has a good reputation as well.

Oh boy, so playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl with the Wii remote is not a myth! I always though this was the worst controller (not only for SSB) haha. Well, you should try using the JoyCon but not sure about Tournaments. You might want to check the tournament rules before joining.

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
Received my Hori controller and played some games yesterday. Looks pretty cool, light but not cheap feeling. Definitely very different from the pro controller or even 2-joycons I am used to (button mapping more like a GC controller). Happy with it so far, nothing to complain about.
Glad to hear that!

Last edited:

Grimel

Smash Cadet
Personally I prefer the original Gamecube controllers. I don't like how the texture of the plastic feels on the Smash 4 / Ultimate controllers. I am currently using the japanese white model that was released in 2008.

Last edited:

Kungfucius

Smash Rookie
Personally I prefer the original Gamecube controllers. I don't like how the texture of the plastic feels on the Smash 4 / Ultimate controllers. I am currently using the japanese white model that was released in 2008.
My favorite Gamecube controller. But I don't have it anymore and replacing it would cost near 200 dollars from what I see.

Gamecube Version

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Check the rules, don't make assumptions.
It's not just the nostalgia filter. There's a reason people clamor for the GC controller instead of the N64 one.
Well, the N64 controller you need 3 hands to hold, it's not a surprise that that controller died. :joyful:

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
You're better off just buying the new GC controllers by Nintendo

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
In Europe they don't cost as much but still pretty expensive (100 Euro).
You can find Gamecube controller at 30~70€ depending on the model. Since someone stole my Silver NGC Controller, I bought a new one for ~40€. My girlfriend bought the Smash Bros controller for 60€ and it works pretty well too. I found that the Smash Bros controller is even better since it doesn't slip when your hands are wet (while Platinum NGC controller slips).

Attachments

Grimel

Smash Cadet
You can find Gamecube controller at 30~70€ depending on the model. Since someone stole my Silver NGC Controller, I bought a new one for ~40€. My girlfriend bought the Smash Bros controller for 60€ and it works pretty well too. I found that the Smash Bros controller is even better since it doesn't slip when your hands are wet (while Platinum NGC controller slips).
The white one I was talking about is brand new though. I also have the Smash 4 Gamecube controller but don't like the feel of the plastic and the L shoulder button gets stuck if I don't press it straight down.

Top Bottom