• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Controller?

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
I am about to buy a WiiU witht smash4. I need advice on what controller is the most effective, in terms of technical utility. For instance, I wouldnt use the 3DS as a controller because it is technically difficult to perform perfect pivots. The controllers I am aware of are the wiiu gamepad, the 3ds, gamecube controller w/ adapter (as if I will find one), and the wiiu proffesional controller. Advice?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Gamecube controller is good. But if you can't find one, the Fight pad is a pro controller built like a gamecube controller so its pretty darn good as well.

Though the pro controller is apparently really good in itself.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
If your main concern is finding GC adapters, you can definitely find some. More and more are becoming available, Mayflash set a fire in Nintendo's behind with making their own 3rd party adapter. I've heard good things about it too from the Ontarian smashers, works just as well as the official one.

Pro Controller vs GC controller: pure preference.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd say the gamepad is good too, albeit a bit heavy during extended play sessions.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I'm sure if I had the adapter, I'd have lots of fun with the Gamecube Controller but the pro controller is really good too. The Gamepad is a little to bulky imo and the 3ds is outclasses in pretty much every way by the pro controller imo. The Wii Remote........ BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! No but seriously, Gamecube Controller and the Pro Controller are the best controllers for Smash. Personal preference is usually a factor in which one you like more though.

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Thanks for the input! Out to buy it as I type this :s

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
The Hori Battle Pad is a better version of the Gamecube controller, so if you see someone recommend the Gamecube controller, you can likely assume they are unaware of the Hori Battle Pad.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Gamecube for low-latency, otherwise go with whatever's most comfortable for you.

Battlepad's C-stick is the same size as the regular c-stick, which makes it more awkward to flick, for me.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
The Hori Battle Pad is a better version of the Gamecube controller, so if you see someone recommend the Gamecube controller, you can likely assume they are unaware of the Hori Battle Pad.
In some ways, however it has some drawbacks too:
- Lower resolution on the main analog stick
- Wireless (hooks into the WiiMote)

Only real upsides are
- Digital shoulder buttons
- ZL button

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'd say the gamecube controller, but the wired fightpad can be good if you can't find any adapters.

ishmokin

Smash Rookie
I am about to buy a WiiU witht smash4. I need advice on what controller is the most effective, in terms of technical utility. For instance, I wouldnt use the 3DS as a controller because it is technically difficult to perform perfect pivots. The controllers I am aware of are the wiiu gamepad, the 3ds, gamecube controller w/ adapter (as if I will find one), and the wiiu proffesional controller. Advice?
If you were only going to get one controller, I would advise you to get the wii u pro controller since it works with all wii u games unlike the gamecube controller.

Both are effective , although i prefer with wii u pro.

edit: I got both wii u pro and the hori controller.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I already have GC controllers but no adapters, I've been using the original Wii U pad, if you can believe that. :) What's the most cost-effective adapter?

Dr.Dru

Smash Rookie
I already have GC controllers but no adapters, I've been using the original Wii U pad, if you can believe that. :) What's the most cost-effective adapter?
Depending on where you get it, the official controller adapter should be the most cost effective since it is the only one with 4 controller ports.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
GameCube or Pro Controller. I got the Pro due to lack of availability for GC adapters and Hori Battle Pads.

I hated it at first, I couldn't get used to the buttons and placement of the "C" stick being so used to the GameCube controller. After a lot of practice I eventually got used to it and now prefer it.

Top Bottom