• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best controller setup for Villager?

Tusca

Smash Rookie
What is your favourite controller setup to use when you pick Villager? But more importantly, why?

MillionGoldMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MillGoldMan
3DS FC
4699-8722-4893
What is your favourite controller setup to use when you pick Villager? But more importantly, why?
I normally turn tap jump off (obvious reasons) and change my C-Stick to attack rather than Smash. You should probably know about how tilt and smash aerials are different. Ill edit my post soon and add a link.

I also put my Z to jump. This means that I can jump and perform an aerial without moving my thumb between buttons. Its a bit difficult to get used to, though. I just do this because i dont use the Z button for anything like grabs since i dont see the point in moving my shield/grab button.

Other than that, I keep everything default

Also, was i quick to this? like that was good timing i think

Last edited:

Tusca

Smash Rookie
I normally turn tap jump off (obvious reasons) and change my C-Stick to attack rather than Smash. You should probably know about how tilt and smash aerials are different. Ill edit my post soon and add a link.

I also put my Z to jump. This means that I can jump and perform an aerial without moving my thumb between buttons. Its a bit difficult to get used to, though. I just do this because i dont use the Z button for anything like grabs since i dont see the point in moving my shield/grab button.

My problem with C stick is that I rarely use it. I find it really far from A/B and can't get used to it. So I can't get to understand what I prefer between attack and smash.

I need to try Z to jump. By the way, since I use a classic controller, I have two Zs to use

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
I need to try Z to jump. By the way, since I use a classic controller, I have two Zs to use
This might be slightly off topic, but is the classic controller legal in most tournaments? I know using the pro controller would still allow for this setup, so it wouldn't be too big a change, but I know that at least EVO rules ban the classic controller.

I should test out using Z for jump as well... I never use it for grab anyway, so I might as well.

Last edited:

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
tap jump on. need them for short hop instant up airs. doing that with out tap jump on, means you will be wasting a frame or few I believe.

C-stick to tilts, for the special perfect pivot tilts. ( dash > 1 or 2 frames after reverse dash + C-stick). You get PP up-tilt, and extended f-tilt out of this. Up-tilt has more than twice the amount of uses now than previous. F-tilt out spaces out Marth even more now!

I've been using A+B as smash attack for some of my F-Smashes since I switched the C-stick to tilt.

Last edited:

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
This thread was super useful already, never thought about Z to jump but after a very quick test run... it just feels right. Able to keep my thumb on the C-stick for quick aerials while maintaining absolute control of my direction. It is going to take a while to get used to though.

Tusca

Smash Rookie
This might be slightly off topic, but is the classic controller legal in most tournaments? I know using the pro controller would still allow for this setup, so it wouldn't be too big a change, but I know that at least EVO rules ban the classic controller.

I should test out using Z for jump as well... I never use it for grab anyway, so I might as well.
I think it's not in the USA but I'm not sure since I don't follow that much your scene. In Italy it should be legal, anyhow I could still borrow a pro controller from a friend or use a Gamecube controller if that would be the case.

Getting back on topic: how do you grab if you don't use Z? Shield+A?

C-stick to tilts, for the special perfect pivot tilts. ( dash > 1 or 2 frames after reverse dash + C-stick). You get PP up-tilt, and extended f-tilt out of this. Up-tilt has more than twice the amount of uses now than previous. F-tilt out spaces out Marth even more now!

I've been using A+B as smash attack for some of my F-Smashes since I switched the C-stick to tilt.
Any videos or thread about those techniques?

Oh, and that may sound a little stupid, but I can't understand how "A+B as smash" works and why it should be better

Last edited:

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
@ Tusca Tusca
No vids about the tech. I think it may of only appeared with Version 1.07.

A+B for f-smash, is used for running > pivot f-smash. It is different to simply turning around and then inputting side+a for f-smash. With A+B you simply have to tap Side to turn around and then you do not have to input Side again (which would waste a frame or 2), you just instantly do A+B.

Things like that.

Do whatever you gotta do and whatever works. But just make sure you're not wasting frames, and if you are there may be a better method.

KingPandalot

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingPandalot
3DS FC
1590-4682-3919
I can get used to Z for jumps, but I don't know how long it'd take to get used to R for grab and L for shield. I always used R for shielding and Z for grabbing, although I'm trying to get used to new controls. What about setting L to jump though? How well would that work, or is short-hopping with GC trigger buttons not very reliable?

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
I can get used to Z for jumps, but I don't know how long it'd take to get used to R for grab and L for shield. I always used R for shielding and Z for grabbing, although I'm trying to get used to new controls. What about setting L to jump though? How well would that work, or is short-hopping with GC trigger buttons not very reliable?
You could try keeping R for shield and then L for grab.

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
I think analogue triggers make it harder to short-hop in sequence.

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Does anyone use Z for jump on the GC controller? It's such an awkward position because the c-stick is so far away. I still don't know what to do. I'd use the pro controller, but isn't it a headache to use in tournaments? Or can you use the charging cord instead of syncing?

EDIT: Also, what about tap jump instead of Z jump?

Last edited:

iboogiealex

Smash Cadet
NNID
iboogiealex

what do you mean by tilt and smash aerials are different?

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
what do you mean by tilt and smash aerials are different?
If you have the c-stick set to smash attacks, they'll stop your aerial momentum because they're mapped to "direction + attack" which overrides the left stick. If they're set to tilts/attack, they're only mapped to "attack" so you can retain full aerial control with the left stick.

More info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSp885AxZss

Last edited:

Tommy - S.N.

http://i.imgur.com/QAKFpPF.gif <--- DAZ ME :]]]
NNID
TheTommy10200
If you have the c-stick set to smash attacks, they'll stop your aerial momentum because they're mapped to "direction + attack" which overrides the left stick. If they're set to tilts/attack, they're only mapped to "attack" so you can retain full aerial control with the left stick.

More info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSp885AxZss
I have tested both c-stick to attack and smash... from the looks of it I think it has been patched out but I might have to make further investigation. :bluejump:

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
That would be awesome if so, but I've seen some false alarms about that before.

Top Bottom