• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Best controller/button layout?

Best Controller

• GCC

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Wii U Pro Controller

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Wii Mote/Nunchuck

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Gamepad

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Classic Controller

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

-Champ-

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think is the best controller/button layout? I would just use a GCC but im not about to spend 70 dollars on an adapter lol. Idk if i should use classic or pro controller.

Quen

Smash Rookie
Because everyone just votes for the controller they use. Not many people own every controller and can compare them all. The result only shows the most used controller.

But i'm also interested in the differences between the classic and the pro controller.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I use the GCN, with default layout except for tap jump off, L changed to grab, and Z changed to a third jump button (for using short hop specials, jumping while charging Kirby's Hammer Flip, etc.).

Last edited:

Sneether

Smash Cadet
My list from best to worst:

Pro Controller
GameCube Controller
Classic Controller
GamePad
WiiMote/Nunchuck (Never Use !)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I personally prefer the Gamecube Controller.

Obviously, the fact that I use it since Melee is a reason why, but the button layout is perfect to me. It feel like it's been designed to be used by a thumb, instead of the classic layout you can see on a Pro controller (or Playstation / Xbox controllers).

A is the main button, while you only need to move your thumb a bit to hit B, Y or X. The only problem would be hitting B and X at the same time, but it's the same on a pro controller for Y/A ou B/X.

The fact that the sticks have "corners" also give a feedback of which direction you are going to, and that's useful.

D

Deleted member

I personally find the GCN controller to be the best one since the buttons are close together, it has good shoulder buttons, and it feels comfortable to hold.

The Wii U Pro Controller isn't a bad alternative, however. My set up has the ZR/ZL buttons be the shield buttons and the R/L/Y buttons be the grab buttons. I made it more reminiscent of a GCN set up and I made the Y button the grab button since that's what I have the grab button be on the 3DS version and it's close to the other attack buttons.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I guess I'm a sole Gamepad user around here. I love the Gamepad, it is a more accurate and responsive 3DS, and the C Stick placement is great.

ThatEpicMudkip

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThatEpicMudkip
3DS FC
4124-5091-3596
I agree with LunarDistortion, I like using the gamepad. Since the GC adapter sold out, I had to resort to something and the GamePad is basically just a 3DS with a nice added C-Stick. People complain that it's too big but you get used to it. Plus you can look down to play instead of at the TV and it's portable.

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
No mention of the Hori Battle Pad? For everyone who thinks the Gamecube controller is best, imagine if you had a Gamecube controller with digital shoulder buttons, and also one extra shoulder button. That's the Hori Battle Pad.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
No mention of the Hori Battle Pad? For everyone who thinks the Gamecube controller is best, imagine if you had a Gamecube controller with digital shoulder buttons, and also one extra shoulder button. That's the Hori Battle Pad.
It looks pretty nice, but it's third party (and plugs into the Wiimote, rather than the console itself, so it's not a more stable wired connection). If there was a wired, first-party GCN like that, though, I think it would be my new favorite.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've used all of the controllers in the poll and aside from the wired/non wired debate the best in terms of build quality and comfort are:

Wii U Pro Controller
Gamecube Controller / Wavebird
Gamepad

Classic Controller Pro
2DS
3DS XL
3DS

Wii Remote / Nunchuck
Classic Controller
Wii Remote

That being said, if you include 3rd party controllers:
(I haven't tested all 3rd party controllers, but of the ones I have)

Wii U Pro Controller
Hori Battle Pad
Gamecube Controller / Wavebird
Gamepad

Classic Controller Pro
2DS
3DS XL
3DS

NYKO Pro Commander
Wii Remote / Nunchuck
Classic Controller
Wii Remote

Retrotator

Smash Cadet
The Wii U Gamepad is the most comfortable to me if I change the button layout, but I mostly use the Hori Battle Pad so I won't risk wearing out the Gamepad in the long run.

Here are the controllers that I have from favorite to least favorite:

Wii U Gamepad
Hori Battle Pad
2DS
Classic Controller (original without handles)
Wii Remote / Nunchuck

I'm thinking about getting a Wii U Pro Controller soon. Do you think the Pro Controller is still worth getting If I already have a couple of the original Classic Controllers?

Ausdon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ausdon
How do people feel about the PDP Fight Pad? I bought it and found it pretty garbage. I'd discourage anyone from using it for sure, but I was curious about what others thought about it.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I honestly prefer the Gamecube Controller, but like what the OP stated, I'm not going to spend $70 on an adapter. I've been using the Classic Controller Pro and I still love it. I've been ambivalent on whether or not to get a Wii U Controller Pro. I despise using the Gamepad for Smash and find it hindering for the most part.

The Wiimote and Nunchuk is okay, I guess. The Wiimote by itself? Hahahaha!

Retrotator

Smash Cadet
How do people feel about the PDP Fight Pad? I bought it and found it pretty garbage. I'd discourage anyone from using it for sure, but I was curious about what others thought about it.
I tried the PDP pad for a few days. It seems to be a decent controller, but It really doesn't feel like a good substitute for the GameCube controller since it has a different grip shape and the L/R and Z positions are switched around.

Last edited:

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Wii mote and nunchuck is best for me. That could possibly be because it's the only controller I've used so far (Other than the gamepad).

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Best controller... either gamecube or Wii U Pro.

The gamepad is similar to the Wii U Pro controller but with some downsides.
-you do not want to wear it out. That's an expensive thing to replace.
-it's hard/awkward to end the match with it,
-it's not something you can bring to a real life tournament to play on.
-it's heavy.

The only benefit I see to the Gamepad is the portable screen. You can move around as you play if the TV is off. Although, that's not to say you can't use the Gamepad as a stationary screen if the TV is off.

The best button layout for the Wii U Pro controller is to have one of the front shoulder buttons set to jump. It's less stressing on your index finger to go for the front shoulder than the back. You could use your middle finger to press the back shoulder button, but this is usually weaker than the index finger making it harder to do the short input for the short hop. The purpose of having jump on the shoulder button is to let you keep your right thumb on the A button or C-stick for your aerial attacks rather than having to go to X or Y. I have personally just made the switch from tap jumping to using the shoulder button. Tap jumping does not allow you to keep your horizontal movement when jumping since you must press up rather than keeping it to the side.

Have C-stick set to either attack or smash attack, it's your choice. With attack on, it makes it easy to do U-tilts. You can also use the C-stick to do Nairs with this set-up, by pressing diagonally. You may accidentally do Nairs when you don't mean to though, which is worse for some characters than others (pretty bad if you do that as Shulk while off stage). With Smash Attacks on, you don't run that risk but you can't do U-tilts as easily with tap jump on. In a way, tap jump off seems better with 'Smash Attacks' C-stick and it doesn't really matter with the 'attack' C-stick. Also each character has different uses out of the C-stick options, so you should look into that.

For the Gamecube, I think it's the same deal where the Z button is set to jump. It lets you jump around with ease while keeping your thumb on A, B, or C-stick. It might be possible that undoing the shield for a dash is slower on the Gamecube controller because you press it down a distance rather than it being off/on. I can't test this myself though.

GREGORE

Smash Cadet
Game Cube Controller is the best. The Analog Stick is perfect.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Oh my god, every time I see this question, I just scream on the inside.

Use whatever is the most comfortable for you to play with. Experiment with what you have. Try different button layouts. There is no "best" controller or layout. The best controller/layout is the one that is the most comfortable for you to use. No one else can tell you what is the "best" except you.

SphyreYui

Smash Rookie
I use both GCC and Pro Controller...depends on how my hands feel that day.

Top Bottom