• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Best Control Setup For Gamepad/Pro

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Since Gamecube controller adapters are out of stock, and playing on the gamepad is convienient, I've been living with the Gamepad.

My controller setup is:

LB and LT: Jump
RB and RT: Shield
A, B, Y same
X: Grab

It feels ok but something feels missing.
How about you guys?

Last edited:

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
R/L: Both are shield but I do not use them.
ZL/ZR: Grab / Shield
ABXY: Default

Haven't played the 3DS version in a long time but I think I tried to replicate the L/R buttons from it to my Pro controller.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
See I did that in the beginning but having jump as x doesn't allow me to use my c stick. Jump pretty much needs to be on a bumper or trigger.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I use my C-Stick for all aerials and Smash attacks. I don't think I could play Smash using a trigger button for jumping... or the "bumper."

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
You should try it. I don't know how you manage. Though I doubt I can change my grab from X at this point.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's the control scheme that I use for the Wii U Pro Controller.

It also applies to the GamePad, but I never really use it outside of taking snapshots.

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
L/ZL: Shield
R: Attack
ZR: Special Attack
X: Jump
A: Grab

Never have to move fingers. and you can just rock your thumb back and forth for jump or grab since you never have to do both at once. Ever since picking up Peach, I have been using this. It helps with floating and I got used to it quick.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Now thats interesting...Its seems a little difficult though, using both zr and r. I'll try it.

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
Now thats interesting...Its seems a little difficult though, using both zr and r. I'll try it.
Give it an honest try. Muscle memory will not allow you to be perfect with it right away obviously. I was offline for a few days reprogramming.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Ive changed my control scheme twice and both times (especially the last) the transistion was horrible. It took me like 2 days of continuous play for the last.

Khao

Smash Lord
ZL and ZR are Shield. (Though I only really use ZL)

L and R are Grab. (Though I only really use R)

A is Jump.

B is Attack.

Y is Special.

Tap Jump is off.

Everything else is default.

It's basically made to feel like controllers I'm already used to.

Ever since the N64 version, I'm used to shielding with the left shoulder button, and grab with the right one. L/R being grab and ZL/ZR being Shield is basically me making the scheme feel more like the Gamecube controller, even if I don't fully make use of it.

ABXY are set so that it matches the attack, special and jump buttons, and kinda sorta the Gamecube's too, in that I jump with the button on the right, attack with the one in the middle, and use special moves with the one on the left. Just like I have in every Smash game ever.

Here's the control scheme that I use for the Wii U Pro Controller.

It also applies to the GamePad, but I never really use it outside of taking snapshots.
Considering which buttons I use and which ones I ignore, I'd be 100% perfectly comfortable with this, haha.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
You see, that might have worked, if the c stick was in the same place, but having to click a than the c stick seems wierd.

My first controls:
Right and Left Triggers: Shield
Right and Left Bumpers: Grab
Everything else default

Second Controls:
Right Trigger and Bumper: Jump
Left Trigger and Bumper: Shield
X: Grab
Everythimg else default
These were easier for aerial attacks with a, but since the jump and c stick were on the same side I found it a little difficult. Also a little hard for me to shield easily with my left hand.

Current Controls:
Just switched jump to left trig/bump, and shield to the right. Much better now, but took a while to re train myself. Im satisfied with these controos but id try others.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Considering which buttons I use and which ones I ignore, I'd be 100% perfectly comfortable with this, haha.
Yeah the reasoning for why L and ZL are both for shield is so that regardless of if you're using the GamePad or Pro Controller, you can still perform the same action very easily. The same also applies to why R and ZR are both set to grab.

If you've played Mario Kart 8, you could use items with L or ZL, while you could drift with R or ZR.

Top Bottom