• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best character to team up with lucina

chucho

Smash Cadet
Hello. My wife and I will be taking part in a 3ds doubles local tournament and I waa wondering what character teams up well with lucina.

IzE

Smash Cadet
Will your tournament have team attack on?
How well can you dodge/catch projectiles?

Last edited:

chucho

Smash Cadet
I main ike, lucina and lucario mostly but I also play as Pac man. Team attack will be on. I am ok at catching projectiles but my wife is not. Edit: my wife mains lucina, zelda and shiek. Maybe I could main lucina if zelda or shiek works well with her

Last edited:

IzE

Smash Cadet
Villager can be a nice option, if you run into single or dual threat projectiles team then its good to have at least one person to be able to dodge/swat/capture them.

Recovery: allows ample time of recovery and safety offstage with the choice of loids(agressive) vs balloons(defensive)
Dsmash: Punishes roll spam by grounding opponents; hard punishes & predictable trajectory allowing follows up if you are close.
The Tree: Provides a wall of defense for easier approachs by negating projectiles. (dependent on position)
Slingshot: Nuisance for heavy character approaches; Knockback can be used to break team mates from grabs; Disrupts opponents edgeguarding from range.

Regarding grabs:
Instantly throw your opponent at low percents or if you plan to fight them alone(towards the ledge).

If you grab an opponent with a teammate near, then pummel once or twice to signal you will throw the opponent towards them. Depending on their follow up you can juggle them between your teammates punish. Teamwork makes the dream work.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Don't take the Robin claims seriously; they just happen because shipping.

Judging by your wife's characters and your question based either of you using Lucina:

Left(you)-Right(wife)

Lucario-Lucina

Lucina-Zelda

First duo would focus on pressure. Lucina can soften up opponents while Lucario supports from behind and can be called upon to assist with Aura Sphere. Both have counters as well, and Lucario at high damage can KO an opponent weakened by Lucina. This is what I'd go with if you use both characters well, since it's just constant pressure.

Second duo can make for an interesting yet unorthodox strategy; since team attack is on, it requires some careful planning, but Zelda's projectiles are great support tools. Zelda can hang back and use her spells to keep an opponent guessing while Lucina charges in and attacks, forcing an opponent to react. The downside here is that your partner could accidentally hit you with a spell and be a detriment, and you have to be ready to assist Zelda should the opponent(s) gang up on her. I'd recommend this one only if you can synergize well in tight spots.

chucho

Smash Cadet
That is very in-depth help and thank you guy's for that. I never noticed villagers use and we will try out the combos for sure will let you know how it goes.

chucho

Smash Cadet
For sure I will, So far Lucario and Lucina are working very well together.

chucho

Smash Cadet
out of 12 teams we got 4th place. It was fun to play Lucario with Lucina as support.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That's actually pretty good. Just hone the tactics you used and you might get better next time :)

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Ah congrats dude! that's pretty sweet that you made it to 4th place with your team. I'm with Liquid, that there's always more room to grow with more practice. Best thing is that you both had fun during the whole process.

Reading stuff like this always lifts my spirits. So in a way, you have my gratitude for sharing your results with us ^^

M@v

Subarashii!
Lucina is what I call a "balance type" She doesn't do anything particularly great, but nothing bad either. Makes her a decent team mate for basically anyone. Throwing out shieldbreakers in 2v2s though is too good.

Last edited:

chucho

Smash Cadet
Lucina is what I call a "balance type" She doesn't do anything particularly great, but nothing bad either. Makes her a decent team mate for basically anyone. Throwing out shieldbreakers in 2v2s though is too good.
I agree with that statement and that is not a bad thing.
We started to team up Lucina and Link, We are liking that combo. Links Boomerang + Lucina's stab have made for a fun combo.

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm a Lucina main and I also like to play with Palutena a bit, do you guys think they complement each other? From a brief test I did on training Palutena seems to be the best characater against Duck Hunt, even better than Falco. So I assume she does well in match ups against projectile users that may annoy Lucina.

What do you guys think? Do people still think Palutena is low tier and so should not be chosen to MU cover?

From the so called high tiers I think the most fun for me to play would be Sonic and that is a stretch... still, do Sonic can handle projectile characters well?

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Hi, I'm a Lucina main and I also like to play with Palutena a bit, do you guys think they complement each other? From a brief test I did on training Palutena seems to be the best characater against Duck Hunt, even better than Falco. So I assume she does well in match ups against projectile users that may annoy Lucina.

What do you guys think? Do people still think Palutena is low tier and so should not be chosen to MU cover?

From the so called high tiers I think the most fun for me to play would be Sonic and that is a stretch... still, do Sonic can handle projectile characters well?
The only MU this may not cover is speed characters like Sonic or Shiek, which I believe both Lucina and Palutena will struggle with. An MU cover should be more for opponents you struggle with, not just the character specific MUs. If Palutena works for you, then keep her for those MUs, then have another for the speed characters.

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
The only MU this may not cover is speed characters like Sonic or Shiek, which I believe both Lucina and Palutena will struggle with. An MU cover should be more for opponents you struggle with, not just the character specific MUs. If Palutena works for you, then keep her for those MUs, then have another for the speed characters.
I don't think Lucina needs MU cover for Sonic, her disjointed sword should be enough against him... not that it is easy stuff but since we can just wait for Sonic to aproach we can be focused and deal with him just fine.
Why do you think she shouldn't take on Sonic?

As for Sheik, her needle is pretty annoying, but apart from the needle I don't think Lucina is too slow by no means to fight her... in my opnion Lucina is a speedy character too.

I think projectiles spammers like ZSS paralyzer, Duck Hunt anything and Yoshi's eggs are more problematic... damm, Yoshi's eggs are the most annoying now that I really think of it, but a good Duck Hunt don't fall to much behind...

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I don't think Lucina needs MU cover for Sonic, her disjointed sword should be enough against him... not that it is easy stuff but since we can just wait for Sonic to aproach we can be focused and deal with him just fine.
Why do you think she shouldn't take on Sonic?

As for Sheik, her needle is pretty annoying, but apart from the needle I don't think Lucina is too slow by no means to fight her... in my opnion Lucina is a speedy character too.

I think projectiles spammers like ZSS paralyzer, Duck Hunt anything and Yoshi's eggs are more problematic... damm, Yoshi's eggs are the most annoying now that I really think of it, but a good Duck Hunt don't fall to much behind...
As I said earlier, you pick characters to cover the MUs you struggle with xD if you believe you can handle them with Lucina, then by all means go for it. In my honest opinion, you really shouldn't even need an MU cover, and just learn to fight everyone as Lucina, but inherently there are MUs that are tougher to fight as Lucina.

Sonic and Shiek present the problem that they outspeed Lucina. Lucina may be fast, but they are faster and can interrupt a lot of Lucina's approach and setups. As soon as you commit to a move and they see it, they can easily close the sword distance and make you pay for it. This is not to say that its an impossible fight by any means, but you have to consider how many moves Lucina has with commitment, and the time it will take for them to close it. Majority of your tilts, smashes, and your aerials can be read and countered quickly (even if you space them with the tip of your sword on certain situations), so you have to outplay them with your spacing and planning. You will likely be forced to play defensively over offensively against characters like these, but that will depend on both yourself and your opponent's playstyles. This may not necessarily bother you, but one mistake in your defense will lead to them closing in and taking advantage of it. Not all Sonics will spam the spin dash as an approach (as they can also play the waiting game with you), and Sheik can just projectile spam till you're forced to move yourself. Most importantly with this MU is that you must maintain control of the battlefield at all times, for one missed opportunity can lead to a world of hurt from these characters.

Projectile users are another problem for Lucina, though personally I don't struggle as much with these if latency doesn't stop me from perfect shielding their attacks (in comparison to speed characters that is). Palutena can certainly cover for these, but if you can learn to perfect shield consistently (or at least block the projectile and keep moving), you can close the gap and not give them room to move. Duck Hunt I understand should projectile spam, but not so much ZSS, who should be doing other things besides the paralyzer shots xD Mainly, projectile users force you to approach them, and without a projectile of her own, Lucina has to work hard to get in and keep them at a sword's length as much as possible. Though the point where you're forced to be more defensive is against Yoshi, who has both the speed and the projectile to make it difficult to get in and do anything really. He can not only close the distance, but he can keep you away if he needs to with his projectile. Once again, you must maintain control and keep them from staying too far away from you. You have to get in there and keep the pressure going, otherwise they will keep spamming projectiles for days.

All these MUs, despite Lucina's disadvantage, are still winnable. I cannot stress enough that it would be better to learn to fight them than rely on a secondary to cover for it. But everyone plays the game differently, and in tournaments, this will be needed until you're confident to win against the MU (or you just get annoyed with the MU xD). No matter what people say about the MUs, if you're determined enough, you can find a way to beat them.

Last edited:

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
I think part of me wants to find a way to use other characters that I like too but yes, that is a price for that...

Anyway, as I said, Sonic can be quite difficult but yeah, I'd take him with Lucina, maybe it's just the fact she's my main that gives me the confidence '-'

As for Yoshi, you said to approach with power shield (such a cool name for a tech btw), funny thing is that i was practicing that today and I think that I'm doing good at least without pressure of a real battle. But while I was doign that I also tried to aproach with spot dodges, is it okay? I always hear about aproach with short hoped dodges and with shield but never with spot dodges, is there something that makes this bad that i'm missing, maybe frames? If so, maybe mix spot dodges with power shield is better for mindgames?

Also the problem with aproaching with shield is that there is a moment in wich you're just almost close enough yet still under the egg bombs... from that point I don't know if I should just rush to attack/grab or power shield one more time... wich is hard because you're just so close that you're being forced to decide this quickly... the easy solution is roll towards Yoshi to end up behind him, but that can get very predictable.... also, on this same almost-but-noy-yet range Yoshi can just stop the egg spam and use his tongue on you either for grab or for egg... Too much good stuff for this Yoshi guy man, I don't recall his eggs going for such low arcs in melee, I think there used to be a blind spot near him but now...

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I think part of me wants to find a way to use other characters that I like too but yes, that is a price for that...

Anyway, as I said, Sonic can be quite difficult but yeah, I'd take him with Lucina, maybe it's just the fact she's my main that gives me the confidence '-'

As for Yoshi, you said to approach with power shield (such a cool name for a tech btw), funny thing is that i was practicing that today and I think that I'm doing good at least without pressure of a real battle. But while I was doign that I also tried to aproach with spot dodges, is it okay? I always hear about aproach with short hoped dodges and with shield but never with spot dodges, is there something that makes this bad that i'm missing, maybe frames? If so, maybe mix spot dodges with power shield is better for mindgames?

Also the problem with aproaching with shield is that there is a moment in wich you're just almost close enough yet still under the egg bombs... from that point I don't know if I should just rush to attack/grab or power shield one more time... wich is hard because you're just so close that you're being forced to decide this quickly... the easy solution is roll towards Yoshi to end up behind him, but that can get very predictable.... also, on this same almost-but-noy-yet range Yoshi can just stop the egg spam and use his tongue on you either for grab or for egg... Too much good stuff for this Yoshi guy man, I don't recall his eggs going for such low arcs in melee, I think there used to be a blind spot near him but now...
Then nothing wrong with choosing other characters xD If you like em, use em. As long as you're playing who you want and not playing simply to win, then you get all the respect in the world for that xD

Good to have that confidence ^^ Keep that confidence and keep pressing forward, and I'm sure you'll find the answers for any opponent you face.

Spot dodges have their uses, but I'm not sure if those work well with the egg projectile. I don't think it has lingering hitboxes, so you should be safe to use it to get closer. SH dodges too will help you get closer, but once you're at that sword length is where you'll need to figure out how to deal with Yoshi at that range. Against the Yoshi main I fight, I noticed that the egg toss will leave him a bit open if you can block it and immediately retaliate. Remember you can cancel block stun via jumping/grabbing, and if you power shield (used the wrong term earlier xD), you may be able to catch them with the FSmash/a Tilt to make them regret using the eggs a little too much. Rely on the disjointed range you have as Lucina, because that's the thing Yoshi lacks against you, and that is literally your greatest weapon in the MU. That commitment will be their weak point, and as long as you can react fast enough to punish them before they get a chance to do anything else.

I do have a Yoshi vs Marth fight recorded on my YT channel if you want an idea of what I mean here, but either way, I hope this helps out dude ^^

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Lucina and Rosalina make a pretty good team in my experience. Same goes with Mega Man.

Top Bottom