• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Pikmin & Olimar in Smash 4?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Pikmin & Olimar from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
At our Best Buy, we got two rounds of two minute matches; I managed to get through the line twice, but I split my attention between Oli (Brawl main) and Greninja (likely my Smash 4 main). I also played the 3DS version, but Oli was absent from that unfortunately. Anyway, I've already made an analysis once, so I'm just gonna copy paste my thoughts I posted on FB:

So, Olimar. I'm not happy with what the did to him (even though I won every match when I used him). His Usmash has been tremendously slowed down. Oli points up immediately, but the Pikmin has a little spinning animation before it goes up. His Uair has also changed; it's just as fast (seemingly), but Oli now takes the Pikmin by the stem and rotates it around his head. Never landed it, so Idk if it's still multihit. His Fsmash seems to have more ending lag. Also, his recovery is weird. You can attack out of it at any time, but right after, you go into helpless. If you don't do anything, you go into helpless. I didn't try to land with it to see landing lag (ya know, cause free for all). Now, his grab. It's faster now, like many of the tether grabs in Smash 4, but it has been shortened quite a bit. It's not quite as short as P:M, but definitely closer to P:M than Brawl I felt, just a lot faster. I could be misremembering, but even though the Pikmin coming out and going back is a lot faster now for the grab, it seemed as though that Oli couldn't move until the Pikmin came all the way back. As far as throws, I never grabbed the opponent under 20ish percent because FFA and getting used to the pro controller, so I wasn't able to test out his Dthrow to Usmash/Fair combos. Other than that, his floatiness and physics seem the same as in Brawl. Dtilt to Dtilt doesn't combo.

I'm going back on Saturday, so I'll be able to test more stuff out then.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Hey there. Like Kero I also tried out Olimar and Greninja (with a little bit of Villager on the side). I liked Olimar the first time I played him. I was mostly just getting a feel and figuring out how he moved around, the range of his moves, etc. The second time I played him I started testing a few things, and was severely disappointed.

Up smash has so much end lag on. It's extremely punishable now, and is pretty unsafe. I'm not sure how good the knock back is on it compared to Brawl Olimar, but it was really disappointing.

Down Throw still combos into up smash, from what I could tell. I landed it multiple times and, while the timing is a little different, it seems to still be reliable.

I couldn't get nair to combo into up smash. This could just be that it's harder to combo, but it didn't seem like it was possible anymore. There wasn't enough hitstun on the nair, it seemed.

I was excited about being able to attack out of Flying Pikmin but, like Kero said, you immediately go into helpless. It's going to turn into a game of whether or not the opponent thinks you're going to attack, and they can easily bait an attack, air dodge it, and then punish you in helpless state. That said, after learning the duration of Flying Pikmin, it feels like attacking out of it will be the best option. However considering Olimar is at his best at recovering when he has no Pikmin, he's forced to choose one or the other.

Whistle doesn't have super armor anymore. I think we all saw this coming, but it's been confirmed. Was playing with some friends, so I was able to have them attack me a few times while trying to whistle.

Olimar has the same final smash. Pretty irrelevant but come on Nintendo. Really? AND the Dolphin is an item? Come on. Maybe it'll change it the released version.

No rock Pikmin in sight. Don't know what that's about.

Pikmin seem to die just as easily. It might have been because it was a free for all, but I ran into several situations where I was left with one or two Pikmin without even realizing it.

All in all I hated him. But I'll probably play him some more this Saturday if I do end up going (pretty sure I will), just so I can test a few more things.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Here's a match. I wasn't really an Oli player but there isn't too much footage of him. It looks like his Ftilt uses a Pikmin as well now. His grab did also seem faster. Also, Dair looks REALLY disjointed.

Last edited:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Can someone test Usmash OoS On Saturday? I saw something in the tournament video that makes me think that it's probably still good.

I also had some other questions, if anyone feels like answering/testing them:
- Is there a greater reduction in UpB distance with a purple than other colors?
- Is there a lesser reduction in UpB distance with a white than other colors?
- Can the Villager grab pikmin? If so, can we pluck another to replace it?
- Can he still pluck cancel?
- Can he still smash pluck cancel?
- Can he still ledge pluck?
- Can grab still pull people off of the ledge?
- Fsmash seems to stop at the edge of platforms now. Can this hit opponents on the ledge? (probably not with most colors, but maybe with yellow?)
- Does Nair -> Dair ->Nair -> Dair -> etc. work with either an incomplete or complete Nair?

I don't expect the last one to work after what Hilt said about Nair -> Usmash. :<

Last edited:

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
Well what I saw is that his pikmin throw seemed a lot slower
What I heard is that pikmin coming back from pikmin throw will bring back items to olimar
Not very good in actual competitive play unless against item based characters
His smashes seemed nerfed but buffed at the same time
During the Nintendo tourny I saw him ko Rosalina with an up smash at 80%
So maybe it was an overal more knock back to his smashes
I never went into a helpless state after attacking out of pink pikmin recovery so I'm not sure on that one
I'm sure it's true though
You can only test so much on a FFA

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Well what I saw is that his pikmin throw seemed a lot slower
What I heard is that pikmin coming back from pikmin throw will bring back items to olimar
Not very good in actual competitive play unless against item based characters
His smashes seemed nerfed but buffed at the same time
During the Nintendo tourny I saw him ko Rosalina with an up smash at 80%
So maybe it was an overal more knock back to his smashes
I never went into a helpless state after attacking out of pink pikmin recovery so I'm not sure on that one
I'm sure it's true though
You can only test so much on a FFA
I have a theory that his purple pikmin have better knockback but all others are worse. Now Olimar has to better manage his Pikmin instead of mindlessly spamming smashes to get kills.

But as you said its very very hard to test Olimar in FFA. He definitely is best in 1v1 unlike Bowser/DK who do perfectly fine in FFAs and were easy to test.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Olimar has the same final smash. Pretty irrelevant but come on Nintendo. Really? AND the Dolphin is an item? Come on. Maybe it'll change it the released version.
Sakurai has stated the spaceship item is a bomb rather than the real deal. Plus, the item is much smaller than the ship Olimar uses for the Final Smash.

Just pointing out this detail. Don't really have much else to say here since I (obviously) didn't play the demo...

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Plus that's not the Dolphin. That's the Hocotate company ship. The Dolphin is Olimar's personal ship which had to be sold to pay off some debt in Pikmin 2. Hence why the item is called the Hocotate Bomb.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Maybe its just the effect lines but are his hitboxes bigger particularly his airials.

Sum1

Smash Rookie
didn't get to test this out but, is it possible to have multiple same colored pikmin??

ex. I throw
red and blue.. both die but I keep a yellow
then I pluck and kill a white and a purple, same with a 2nd red and blue
when i loop back around.. will I be able to pull another yellow?? or will it just skip?

somebody please confirm

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
didn't get to test this out but, is it possible to have multiple same colored pikmin??

ex. I throw
red and blue.. both die but I keep a yellow
then I pluck and kill a white and a purple, same with a 2nd red and blue
when i loop back around.. will I be able to pull another yellow?? or will it just skip?

somebody please confirm
Man if that's the case getting three purple will be super easy.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
You should be able to get as many of the same pikmin as possible
I'm guessing that's why they limited the pikmin as well for a set pikmin order because six pikmin and cycle through a cycle of 5 pikmin quickly
You could potentially get 6 pikmin easily or of any desired pikmin

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
I mean six purple
But I really did wish they added rock pikmin into the mix that way you could have variety
Or make rock pikmin like his up air that he throws him up and comes crashing down afterwards or something like that

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
All I'm saying is that when I used Olimar's final smash in the Wii U version, it was the exact same as the final smash in Brawl. He even used the Dolphin. I don't know if they're going to change it for the complete version or not, but he jumped in the Dolphin for his Final Smash and I was mad.

Sum1

Smash Rookie
All I'm saying is that when I used Olimar's final smash in the Wii U version, it was the exact same as the final smash in Brawl. He even used the Dolphin. I don't know if they're going to change it for the complete version or not, but he jumped in the Dolphin for his Final Smash and I was mad.
when I used his final smash I found that I could control where it landed.. which is actually pretty cool

Top Bottom