• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Mario in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Mario from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Courtesy of @ Croi Croi :

Mario:
Mario feels like he'd make high tier easily. He's basically just Brawl Mario, but everything is faster, hits harder, and is just easier and more rewarding. He can fair all day like it ain't no thang.
Aerial fireball is nerfed; it travels mostly straight down. Probably to make it harder to recover high.
No real criticisms otherwise. Of the characters that I've tried, I'd main Mario in a heartbeat.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

Mario:
Mario feels like he'd make high tier easily. He's basically just Brawl Mario, but everything is faster, hits harder, and is just easier and more rewarding. He can fair all day like it ain't no thang.
Aerial fireball is nerfed; it travels mostly straight down. Probably to make it harder to recover high.
No real criticisms otherwise. Of the characters that I've tried, I'd main Mario in a heartbeat.
What are his KO options in this game? Are they better? Also is his recovery better?

Croi

Smash Lord
His kill options are his smash attacks, forward air, and back throw at higher percentages. Pretty bread-and-butter stuff. His nair actually hits decently hard, but I don't know if I'd call it a kill move.

His recovery feels about the same, maybe a little worse because the ledge snap radius seems a little smaller. Nothing extraordinary about his recovery options: just cape and up+b.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Okay guys, so does cape still stall in the air? From all the footage I've seen from PPU in the invitational, it.. didn't look like it did.
And yes, I did see Croi just say that his recovery is still "just cape and up B", but I need to make sure. haha

But yea, from what I've seen so far he looks beyond godlike. Absolutely in love with him. It's weird how much Brawls mechanics alone hurt Mario so much.. definitly gonna be using him in Smash 4 if the hitstun stays like this in the final game.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

Mario:
Sounds amazing considering I've been maining this man for 15 years now :)

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
His kill options are his smash attacks, forward air, and back throw at higher percentages. Pretty bread-and-butter stuff. His nair actually hits decently hard, but I don't know if I'd call it a kill move.

His recovery feels about the same, maybe a little worse because the ledge snap radius seems a little smaller. Nothing extraordinary about his recovery options: just cape and up+b.
Is his forward air good at killing like in Project M? Or is it just solely for Meteor Smashing while the second hitbox doesn't really do anything?

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I played about 12 rounds with Mario in E3.

I was a top Mario main in melee, brawl, and pm.

His cape dash is still in along with cape gliding. I have a video of me cape gliding I will post later.

A LOT of landing lag on aerial fireball. Can't fireball to dsmash.

Fireballs are hard to spam in general.

Stutter stepping is gone. Its back to like Melee's. I have a video of this too.

Dair doesn't knock up like it does it brawl... It was more like a drill but with brawls animation.

Usmash was my go to kill move.

Cape gives a little push to aerial opponents like brawl.

Everything else seemed the same. It was hard to experiment in ffa and items on.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm glad to hear Mario is getting better in this game. He should be fun to use like every other game. I'm thinking that I'll use Scalding F.L.U.D.D. too.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Seems like he still has the same issue he has in the last two games. His kill moves aren't easy to land. Also FLUDD still does nothing. It said it in the 3DS trailer which SUCKS!!

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Ok so the things that made Mario bad in Brawl "He is competitive garbage. Cape does absolutely nothing against a variety of characters, he has terrible priority, no kill power, bad range, bad recovery, and doesn't do anything especially good." Have any of these been addressed in your guys' opinion.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Idk if it's been mentioned yet, but someone used Mario's Final Smash on me while I was at Smash Fest...seems like there's some wind to draw you into the Mario Finale this time.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Ok so the things that made Mario bad in Brawl "He is competitive garbage. Cape does absolutely nothing against a variety of characters, he has terrible priority, no kill power, bad range, bad recovery, and doesn't do anything especially good." Have any of these been addressed in your guys' opinion.
Anyone?

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Mario looks too good in that moveset vid. I cannot wait to play this game and master my boy on both 3ds and Wii U :D

Dark_Wolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-0774-1382
No wonder I won both games with my dude at smash fest! LOL. But seriously my dude Mario looks like a boss in this game. He might even be top tier! lol

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
He looks like Brawl Mario with a few minor buffs like Melee dash attack, at least it's not his pathetic super short one from Brawl

Damage values are the same as Brawl, even hit god-awful dtilt still hits for 5% with no use and it's probably still unsafe on hit

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
He looks like Brawl Mario with a few minor buffs like Melee dash attack, at least it's not his pathetic super short one from Brawl

Damage values are the same as Brawl, even hit god-awful dtilt still hits for 5% with no use and it's probably still unsafe on hit
What?! Mario's down-tilt is still useless? Man... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'll stick to PM Mario after playing the Best Buy Demo. He still has issues killing which was his main problem in Brawl besides his recovery. Not sure if it's the blast zones being far or Fsmash and down smash being too weak but either way he still has the issues he had in Brawl.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I'm a Mario main in Melee, so when I played the 3DS version as him, he felt so confusing to me. I couldn't pull of anything I could in that game, but even if this was like Brawl Mario, I still couldn't understand him. I felt he jumped way too high and that throws sent people a little too far. I also think FLUDD is still useless. Maybe it just felt awkward b/c the shield and grab were mapped to the opposite shoulder buttons, but I dunno.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
I'm a Mario main in Melee, so when I played the 3DS version as him, he felt so confusing to me. I couldn't pull of anything I could in that game, but even if this was like Brawl Mario, I still couldn't understand him. I felt he jumped way too high and that throws sent people a little too far. I also think FLUDD is still useless. Maybe it just felt awkward b/c the shield and grab were mapped to the opposite shoulder buttons, but I dunno.
They did that to throws for all characters so that people couldn't chaingrab anymore. Have to agree with u it is so weird how they made brawl mario from melee mario... Oh well... I'll still try him out but if he's not that good than I just won't use him.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

Mario:
Forgot to ask. Does Dsmash kill now? I didn't get to land it.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
They did that to throws for all characters so that people couldn't chaingrab anymore. Have to agree with u it is so weird how they made brawl mario from melee mario... Oh well... I'll still try him out but if he's not that good than I just won't use him.
So the Ice Climbers finally got nerfed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom